Hot Toys - Batman 1989 - Michael Keaton

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I dont think Harvey Dent gets enough love from TDK fans.

Although I dont completely agree with the end part of your post I think you nailed it with that first sentence. I love how it didnt really fit in any time frame but at the same time kinda looked like the 40's and modern(at that time) day. Gotham looked sweet too.

Except for how every civilian car was the EXACT same model. You'll definately notice it on the Batman returns blu ray. Throughout the entire movie, one car design is used for 99% of the vehicles in the movie. Watch the part where penguin takes control of the Batmobile and it rams through 50 millions cars. Every car is the exact same "box" looking car, throughout the movie :lol. I believe they're like that on the first movie also, not including the joker cars.

Except for how every civilian car was the EXACT same model. You'll definately notice it on the Batman returns blu ray. Throughout the entire movie, one car design is used for 99% of the vehicles in the movie. Watch the part where penguin takes control of the Batmobile and it rams through 50 millions cars. Every car is the exact same "box" looking car, throughout the movie :lol. I believe they're like that on the first movie also, not including the joker cars.

You're right about Batman Returns. It always bothered me that every civilian (except Selina Kyle and Alfred) drove the same car. But it was different in the first movie...Bruce Wayne, Vicki Vale, Alex Knox and other random civilians all had distinct cars.

1stHotToysBatmanpic.jpg

Picture bump. :wave

As a kid, I liked that it was a little more movie accurate than the repainted Super Powers figure (which I loved too, dont get me wrong).

I think the modern Nolan films will look like they belong to their era, but not in a way that makes them "dated." Just like lovers of modern crime films do not think The Godfather looks "dated," even though it's clearly set in a specific era and timeframe.

But the Godfather is a period piece clearly set in the forties. The Nolan films are ultra modern and contemporary. In 30 years, they will look more like Scarface looks today, not timeless like The Godfather.

Is that Medicom's

Nah, looks too good to be Medi's.

I think the modern Nolan films will look like they belong to their era, but not in a way that makes them "dated." Just like lovers of modern crime films do not think The Godfather looks "dated," even though it's clearly set in a specific era and timeframe.

:duh:duh:duh Of course they don't look dated. Hence why my post said, "in 20 years." The outfits, cars, buildings, tech, etc. It's all for today. And unlike movies that are "period pieces," this isn't. It's meant to be a contemporary Batman for the modern era. And when that era is over, it'll look old and dated because of this. Whereas the Burton films have absolutely no foundation to any time period whatsoever, with the stylized mash-up Burton provided, and despite being 23 years old, don't seem like it.

Last edited:
But the Godfather is a period piece clearly set in the forties. The Nolan films are ultra modern and contemporary. In 30 years, they will look more like Scarface looks today, not timeless like The Godfather.

....and I would say Scarface looks like the era it's supposed to be set in. It's an 80s movie about life in the 80s. Not "dated," per se.

When it comes to things being "dated," I tend to think either about production values being dated (cheap special effects, inappropriate music that was used just because it was popular at the time) or storytelling techniques being dated (different kinds of pacing or cliches, etc.).

Sort of like how the old Battlestar Galactica looks dated, while the Star Wars original trilogy still holds up, despite being made in the same era.

I don't see how the Nolan films will different in those respects from movies like The Godfather or Scarface - it's a top-notch production, set in the first decade of this century. To us, that's synonymous with "contemporary." Audiences 20 years from now won't use the word "contemporary," they'll just say it was made and set in the 2000's - but not that it is then "dated."

I don't see how the Nolan films will different in those respects from movies like The Godfather or Scarface - it's a top-notch production, set in the first decade of this century. To us, that's synonymous with "contemporary." Audiences 20 years from now won't use the word "contemporary," they'll just say it was made and set in the 2000's - but not that it is then "dated."

You're right, they won't use the word "contemporary," they'll use the word "dated." :lol

You lose points for the comparison to Scarface as well. Monette's novel and the film itself, are period pieces, meant to reflect a specific time in history, when the United States opened itself up to Cuban immigration and instead of sending regular citizens, Cuba used it to purge the country of all it's prisoners, criminals, general garbage and everyone else who wanted to go (look up the Mariel boatlift). So while it was shot in that time, it was fully intended to be a period piece. Nolan's Batman flicks are not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back