Hot Toys - Batman 1989 - Michael Keaton

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I LOVE Robin Williams I admit i've never watched his stand up material.

I can't deal with Williams' stand-up. He's all over the place ... just too over-the-top. Even watching a Tonight Show interview with Robin Williams is tiring.

SnakeDoc

There is one of his performances that starts off with him coming out of the bathroom just after snorting a $h1t load of cocaine. By the middle of the show he is literally climbing the walls

It's crazy to think he and Chris Reeve were such good friends... seems like an unlikely pairing.

1297103688_room-mate-robin-williams-reeves-lg.jpg

M.

Toyman actually wasn't too badly done in Smallville -- though they should've just swapped Oliver Queen for Bruce Wayne, and used Batman's rogues.

SnakeDoc

You lose points for the comparison to Scarface as well. Monette's novel and the film itself, are period pieces, meant to reflect a specific time in history, when the United States opened itself up to Cuban immigration and instead of sending regular citizens, Cuba used it to purge the country of all it's prisoners, criminals, general garbage and everyone else who wanted to go (look up the Mariel boatlift). So while it was shot in that time, it was fully intended to be a period piece. Nolan's Batman flicks are not.

I think it's quite plausible that, in 20 years time, people will look back at these films and see that they represent a specific time in our history as well. In this case, the case can be made that they are quite evidently the cultural product and part of the dialogue of an America responding to September 11, 2001.

Just as we look back at the Dirty Harry movies and see them as a cultural product and a part of the dialogue of their own time, when urban crime and ineffectual bureaucracy and lawyering became a paramount problem. They were made as "contemporary" films and not to be modern-day period pieces. But even though their day has passed, they are not dated - they have simply moved to become period pieces of a bygone period.

You joke but for it's time and tech that had a pretty damn good Michael Keaton Likeness under the Batman gear.

Batman-455.jpg

M.

When I was a kid, I always wondered why Bruce Wayne had the stylized Bat on his shirt. On the one hand, it seems a bit too Bat-centric. On the other, it also seems to be giving the game away to people who might otherwise not have made the connection to his identity.

But the Godfather is a period piece clearly set in the forties. The Nolan films are ultra modern and contemporary. In 30 years, they will look more like Scarface looks today, not timeless like The Godfather.

Scarface is a period piece as well as Nam has mentioned. That was a brutal time for Miami just watch Cocaine Cowboys and you'll see what Scarface is referencing. 89 Bats got it right...you can't pinpoint a specific time...it's like a collage of eras.

Replace G.I. Joe with Batman...

302 Found

Hilarious bit!!! "Then the big brown shark came" :rotfl :rotfl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back