1/6 Hot Toys -- Guardians of the Galaxy - Groot & Rocket

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm kinda leaning the other way. After seeing Chewy, the sculpted racoon isn't doing much for me.

Got to agree here, it's a shame poor Rocket looks awefully like a kiddys toy in comparison, I'm going to leave my pe-order up but won't be displaying Rocket anywhere near Chewie, probably in a different room.

I really don't see how they could used fur that would look realistic. For one Rocket is much smaller, second he has short hair which is harder to make it look good. Chewie is like 3 times the size and has longer hair to hide the wholes of the individual hairs. That said, I really don't know what to order...
My guess is that the Star Wars figures will be sold out much quicker than the Guardians but I'm not a Star Wars fanatic.
Decisions decisions decisions :gah:

If Rocket was real hair like Chewbacca, I'd be in the for the Groot/Rocket set. As it, no dice. Chewie looks like a high-end collectible. Rocket looks like a $15 NECA figure.

*whistles* You guys are harsh critics! I think Rocket looks great (don't think real fur would look natural on Rocket -- in addition to the overall shortness, there's a ton of fine detail on the face that they couldn't possibly recreate with fur). As an accessory to Groot, firing over his shoulder, it works very well.

I really don't see how they could used fur that would look realistic. For one Rocket is much smaller, second he has short hair which is harder to make it look good. Chewie is like 3 times the size and has longer hair to hide the wholes of the individual hairs. That said, I really don't know what to order...
My guess is that the Star Wars figures will be sold out much quicker than the Guardians but I'm not a Star Wars fanatic.
Decisions decisions decisions :gah:
Exactly. Chewie is being made with with hair because its long and is probably someehat easier to work with longer hair than the shorter more coarse hair that Rocket would need. As is I can see Chewbacca being a task for Hot Toys too so I imagine trying fur on Rocket would be harder. Rocket and Groot were on my to buy list but after the announcement of Han and Chewie I'm not sure anymore. I'd still like them but I have to make decisions and Star Wars is winning currently. I still have Star-Lord on order though.

*whistles* You guys are harsh critics! I think Rocket looks great (don't think real fur would look natural on Rocket -- in addition to the overall shortness, there's a ton of fine detail on the face that they couldn't possibly recreate with fur). As an accessory to Groot, firing over his shoulder, it works very well.

What detail on his face couldn't they recreate?

Use peach fuzz fur for his snout and longer hair for the rest. Highlight white accents with an airbrush on the ears, brows and snout and call it a day. :dunno

raccoon-2.jpg

I don't know if I'd trust the QC if HT did a furry Rocket. The figure is so small and lean that if the fur wasn't perfect it'd throw off the proportions. I don't want him to look like one of those cheap fuzzy animal gas station knick-knacks. Chewie has more real estate to work with (as well as completely different hair than Rocket) and even then it'll be interesting to see how his production pieces turn out.

I don't know if I'd trust the QC if HT did a furry Rocket. The figure is so small and lean that if the fur wasn't perfect it'd throw off the proportions. I don't want him to look like one of those cheap fuzzy animal gas station knick-knacks. Chewie has more real estate to work with (as well as completely different hair than Rocket) and even then it'll be interesting to see how his production pieces turn out.

You mean like these?

zanies.jpg

I hear you. Customizers here have done amazing MJ Werecat figs, and HT with Chewy, so I trust it can be done way better than this offering.

I hear you. Customizers here have done amazing MJ Werecat figs, and HT with Chewy, so I trust it can be done way better than this offering.
The Beto Werecats were all done by hand, though, with far more care than you'd get in any factory assembly line. Anyway, maybe it is possible to mass produce (though I'm still leaning no) but honestly I don't really care. He looks fine sculpted to me.

Back