Hot Toys-MMS 201-Man of Steel-Jor-El-1/6th Scale Collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not saying the same sewing pattern was used for both. One is blue grey with a red cape and one is completely brown. I don’t care what kind of lighting you use, two different colors aren’t going to change into one cohesive solid color.

Remember he takes off and ditches the blue robe before diving under the water. Then when he gets to the launch room he’s put on another, the brown one. Maybe like a lab coat or something.

jorelcomp02.jpg

Take into consideration my previous post about color grading in post production. Also, movie cameras capture lighting on a different (and limited) spectrum than human eyes and they tend to show different colors than what we see in real life.

But I'm not saying you're wrong, it's plausible that they use different colored garments for specific scenes. But in all my experience dealing with film and video, I personally see them as the same.

Lookin' good. If only someone here knew the bloke in that pic.. We could probably ask him to take off the armour bit.

I’m not saying the same sewing pattern was used for both. One is blue grey with a red cape and one is completely brown. I don’t care what kind of lighting you use, two different colors aren’t going to change into one cohesive solid color.

Remember he takes off and ditches the blue robe before diving under the water. Then when he gets to the launch room he’s put on another, the brown one. Maybe like a lab coat or something.

jorelcomp02.jpg

Actually, they may do just that. I've seen it for my studies in a practical example, light does ALOT.

Last edited:
His coat appeared blue on film most of the time, but the actual coat was apparently brown. Figures were released in both colors. Same with the Ghostbusters flight suits, which often looked gray but were actually, initially tan.

His coat appeared blue on film most of the time, but the actual coat was apparently brown. Figures were released in both colors. Same with the Ghostbusters flight suits, which often looked gray but were actually, initially tan.

Actually, the yellow 'S' background on Man of Steel seems to have the same issue. Something having to do with how it reflects light ... but the same S background looks yellow in some pictures, muted grey in some, and jet black in some.

From an interview with the costume designer ...

Q: In many promotional photos of Henry Cavill in the Superman costume (as seen on magazine covers and the like), the yellow in the "S" Shield on his chest is very muted or even black, can you explain to fans why that was the case?

A: There was a lot of experimentation with the colors of the suit Ð they read very differently under different lighting Ð outdoors vs. indoors, fluorescent vs. incandescent, day vs. night etc. For some reason the gold changed the most - perhaps because there was so much metallic pigment in the gold that it really reflected the colors and lighting around it.

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/movies/movies.php?topic=interview-michaelwilkinson

Yellow

man-of-steel-superman-lex-luthor-wb.jpg

Grey

20870.jpg

Dark Grey

henry-cavill-man-of-steel.jpg

Black

man-of-steel-background-poster.jpg

SnakeDoc

To me, this is the best evidence so far that we should be careful in thinking we know very much about what color something is "supposed" to be in this movie. It went from yellow to grayish blue! But we can say that a figure has clothing that more or less resembles the way a given outfit looked in a given scene.

To me, this is the best evidence so far that we should be careful in thinking we know very much about what color something is "supposed" to be in this movie. It went from yellow to grayish blue! But we can say that a figure has clothing that more or less resembles the way a given outfit looked in a given scene.

Exactly.
In loads of the behind the scenes stuff, the Superman suit itself was lighter, with lighter reds in the symbol and cape. But in post production, colour timing was likely altered for a different look.
It happens.
But i t means people can't say "His costume is the wrong colour!", simply because the people who make the replicas might have had the original costume to base it from.

ManOfSteel.jpg~original

Back