Hot Toys MMS 692 + 693 BATMAN (1989) 1/6 scale Batman 2.0

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I look forward to airbrushing that diorama to help bring some detail out in it.

Still no photos or videos of Jack on it, strange.

In a world where DX09 never existed, 2.0 is a flawless representation of 1/6 '89 Batman. If we had nothing else in 1/6 scale to compare it to, I think most everyone would be beyond 100% satisfied. But there's just something about that DX09 head sculpt, flaws and all, that captures the unmistakable likeness of Keaton Batman so effortlessly, from every possible angle, in every conceivable lighting condition.

In hindsight, HT really could've just enhanced the old sculpt. Better paint for the mouth plates, new eyeballs & rolling mechanism, corrected the cowl silhouette a bit, and revised the size of the bat symbol. Lightning doesn't always strike twice when it comes to capturing a difficult likeness.

In a world where DX09 never existed, 2.0 is a flawless representation of 1/6 '89 Batman. If we had nothing else in 1/6 scale to compare it to, I think most everyone would be beyond 100% satisfied. But there's just something about that DX09 head sculpt, flaws and all, that captures the unmistakable likeness of Keaton Batman so effortlessly, from every possible angle, in every conceivable lighting condition.

In hindsight, HT really could've just enhanced the old sculpt. Better paint for the mouth plates, new eyeballs & rolling mechanism, corrected the cowl silhouette a bit, and revised the size of the bat symbol. Lightning doesn't always strike twice when it comes to capturing a difficult likeness.
There are all kinds of anaylses out there already, but what it comes down to is the DX09 lips. They evoke '89 Keaton very, very strongly and there's a certain roundness to the face that also nails it.

I still prefer the updated paint, eyes and lack of trapdoor in the head, amongst other things -- but I would never speak ill of the DX09, it's a classic.

... as the futzing continues (done in the traditional style, searching images of '89 Bats and cranking the soundtrack) the only thing that really jumps out at me is that rodent-esque face plate. Total miss by HT. Don't know how it got approved.

I've fixed the eyes and I'm experimenting with posture. Keaton emerges! :panic:

I'd like to know why HT has ANY sculpts that aren't 100% in 2024. Who the hell are they hiring for this stuff? There are a lot of people out there that can sculpt 100% accuracy. It boggles the mind how every single sculptor employed by them isn't one of those people.

It’s really good. Not including my own bias towards Burton Batman, I’d say the Integrated Suit Spiderman diorama is on the same level as this dio. The full chair and diorama with backdrop for Sweeney Todd was also pretty cool. Can’t think of any others that come to mind
Yeah I've still got my ST fig. Still one of my favs.
DSCF1975.JPG

DSCF1974.JPG

I don’t think this is a bad figure, by any means, but part of what I feel makes it so stark is that…the base is so impressive. That sounds ridiculous, but when I see people saying “I’m keeping my PO for the base,” that is not the reception a Keaton Batman figure should be receiving. I get that it’s slim pickin’s in the ‘89 department and nostalgia is a hell of a drug, but my issue is that this is a figure that shouldn’t just be “good enough,” when Hot Toys is showing us exactly what they’re capable of in other offerings.

Hell, even the modern suit Keaton from The Flash runs circles around this one in terms of quality, likeness, and accuracy. I know it’s capturing the man at a different stage in his life and, maybe, that makes certain features easier to get down, but the reality is that, if Hot Toys wanted to do it up and make an InArt killer 89 Batman, they could. It’s just that they know they don’t have to because the second we see that gold logo on a teaser photo, we’re clicking that pre-order button.

In some ways, I hate these other companies and customs that came along. Like that Unreal cowl up there? It looks gorgeous, but I feel like we’ve reached this sort of paradigm shift where people see a $300 cowl or a $1000 figure set from a competitor and they almost act like Hot Toys is the “budget” manufacturer in this hobby, when they’re not. The deluxe is like $400 with shipping and tax, depending on where you’re located. That’s still a lot of ****ing money to be paying for a figure that barely surpasses something they made over a decade ago.

I love the cowl and the proportions on it. The face-plates DO look more glossy and lose some of the Keaton-likeness, and that's depressing, but I could live with it because the eyes are so striking and accurate. The gargoyle diorama was the major selling point for me, but I am still so depressed about that texture on the suit. It sucks because the promotional photos looked so perfect.

Yeah I like this base better with Nicholson,
Keaton works best near the car.

Yea mine is going to have Jack standing slightly over the gargoyle.

As tempted as I am to have Keaton near the car, think it’ll be too much if I decide to add the sitting Batman from Jazz Inc.

Yea mine is going to have Jack standing slightly over the gargoyle.

As tempted as I am to have Keaton near the car, think it’ll be too much if I decide to add the sitting Batman from Jazz Inc.
I’ll be passing on JazzInc’s Batman, the few issues here are getting to me enough. I’m glad he updated the headlights to a yellow hue instead of orange, made note of that previously and didn’t think he’d change it.

I gotta cancel my preorder on this one. To my eyes, the cowl sculpt is an improvement. But the suit looks even worse than it did before. Just a lumpy mess with a texture like oatmeal. With so many figures coming from left and right, I have to be more judicious.
Kudos to you for using the word "judicious."

Back