Hot Toys - MMS DX 01- The Dark Knight - The Joker spec and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However it's achieved, I'm excited about the versatility this figure will have, now it just needs to ship.

I'm getting pretty excited for this head myself. I was sure I would sell it, but pictures of it have really grown on me. I'm sure I won't get as much use out of the moving eyes as a photographer such as yourself, but it should be fun.

That's why I commented in the MMSDX thread, if it's a significant factor in pricing a figure, I'd like to see it reserved for characters where it can really make a different. John Connor, Dutch, those are characters where the painted eyes are just fine, even Cop Joker, the head being used as it's intended, painted eyes are fine, maybe some folks want to put makeup on it for a traditional Joker, but that's their choice and no sense padding cost with posable eyes when the majority aren't using it for that purpose. If the price difference is a couple bucks, then use it on all future figures I say.

I disagree. Moveable eyes would benefit any character. In terms of advancements in the world of 1/6 collectibles, this is a big step forwards that every 1/6 producer should take.

I disagree. Moveable eyes would benefit any character. In terms of advancements in the world of 1/6 collectibles, this is a big step forwards that every 1/6 producer should take.

Well, I agree that it would advance every character, but I don't think it's necessary for every character if it drives up cost. If say Dutch cost $10-$20 more to have the technology, I'd rather save the money. I don't imagine getting that much more enjoyment out of him if I could pose the eyes than I'll get from the figure as he is. Joker's a different matter, for my photography, which is the biggest way I enjoy collecting, posable eyes will offer me a wonder of opportunities to capture the character and present him as he was in the film. Captain Jack Sparrow is another character where I feel this technology would be well used.

Again, the anit-posable eyes mindset I have is IF that technology drives the price up at least $10 from a standard figure. For one figure, sure that's not much, but over 6 or so figures a year, that adds up and could help pay for other collectibles. If the price is less than $10 difference to have that tech, then yeah, put it in every figure.

This sums up how I feel too. It's an advancement that should be implemented with time in every release. A couple years from now I could imagine seeing posts of how primitive heads feel that don't have movable eyes. Hopefully Hot Toys can squeeze this in without a big price increase like they've shown with upping qaulity while keeping prices down.

Well, I agree that it would advance every character, but I don't think it's necessary for every character if it drives up cost. If say Dutch cost $10-$20 more to have the technology, I'd rather save the money. I don't imagine getting that much more enjoyment out of him if I could pose the eyes than I'll get from the figure as he is. Joker's a different matter, for my photography, which is the biggest way I enjoy collecting, posable eyes will offer me a wonder of opportunities to capture the character and present him as he was in the film. Captain Jack Sparrow is another character where I feel this technology would be well used.

Again, the anit-posable eyes mindset I have is IF that technology drives the price up at least $10 from a standard figure. For one figure, sure that's not much, but over 6 or so figures a year, that adds up and could help pay for other collectibles. If the price is less than $10 difference to have that tech, then yeah, put it in every figure.

Well we don't actually know how much the movable eyes ratchet up the overall cost. However, I was looking at the details of the Enterbay Mr. Bean figure (which features movable eyes), and the MSRP is $150 and he comes with a solid amount of accessories. I don't believe the eyeball system is expensive to implement. I mean, G.I. Joes have had this feature since more than two decades ago and those toys weren't pricey at all.

Regardless of the price bump, which I believe is marginal, I definitely feel that it's worthwhile, especially for people who do take a lot of good photos (like you MF). As owners of Enterbay figures can probably attest to, movable eyes gives any figure more...character? Life? Yeah, that's it.

Let me put it this way: How much do you think having translucent skin paint apps on current HT figures have cost? Would you sacrifice that for a few bucks knowing those few bucks could be saved for a future figure release? What if they cut back on accessories? I don't think that way, if the quality of the figure and inclusive items justify the price, then there is no reason to worry about being frugal in order to afford a future purchase.

Last edited:
I believe you can just move the eyes with your fingers, without opening anything, and the eyes move the same way, so he doesnt look retarded.

If you look at the hair line above the forehead, you can see a thick dark line that may indicate that section at the top is a removable piece.\

Personally, I think the moveable eyes is a very cool innovation. But for the DX series, I would expect more improvements in the tailoring and clothing material than what we see.

I believe you can just move the eyes with your fingers, without opening anything, and the eyes move the same way, so he doesnt look retarded.

Have you ever tried moving the eyes on an Enterbay figure the hard way (through the exterior)? It's difficult on an object so small. I doubt that's what Hot Toys is doing.

Mystery revealed...the hairpiece is removable.
Tommy Richardson also claims that there will be no Joker 3.0, 4.0, 5.0..... and no DX01.5, DX0.155. So this will be the last Joker figure released if his source is correct.

To comfort buyers of version 1 he says that the grenade holder is not removable from the DX coat....so people who want a Joker coat without the grenade holders (which is not present for the majority of the movie) has to hunt down ver. 1

ap_20090404011718813.jpg.jpg
ap_20090402063209821.jpg.jpg

ap_20090402064030460.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, so it IS removable hairpiece! Never have thunk it!

Cheers for the new infro Darren.

EDIT: But it is only the most back chunk of hair that comes off looking at the pics.

Wow, so it IS removable hairpiece! Never have thunk it!

Cheers for the new infro Darren.

EDIT: But it is only the most back chunk of hair that comes off looking at the pics.

Think you are right SE. Hope it doesn't look unnatural at the back there. I expect bigger pics tomorrow so we'll find out then.

It does not bother me if the grenade rig cannot be removed. The grenades will not be going in my coat and my coat will be closed like the the version 1 coat because it is much improved.

It does not bother me if the grenade rig cannot be removed. The grenades will not be going in my coat and my coat will be closed like the the version 1 coat because it is much improved.

Ha yeah I found his consolation funny too. The grenade rig can't be seen if you don't open his coat......oh well I'm still keeping my version 1 and already preordered the DX :banghead

To comfort buyers of version 1 he says that the grenade holder is not removable from the DX coat....so people who want a Joker coat without the grenade holders (which is not present for the majority of the movie) has to hunt down ver. 1

...or just take out the stitches and remove the holder, if it leaves a visible bulge on the coat. :monkey3
I just hope the coat turns out looking as nice as on the prototype, since I'm only planning on getting the coat and head from ebay.

...or just take out the stitches and remove the holder, if it leaves a visible bulge on the coat. :monkey3
I just hope the coat turns out looking as nice as on the prototype, since I'm only planning on getting the coat and head from ebay.

Agree, the coat where the grenades are would be bulging out which would look "unnatural" in some ways. For now, my ver 1 Joker on BR head sculpt will keep my company while waiting for this new ver Joker.

Back