Hot Toys : New DX TDK Joker 2.0 Coming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hot Toys New DX TDK Joker 2.0 Coming?

When the box says "2.0" it sounds like a second version rather then something new like nurse Joker.

Here's hoping:pray:

When the box says "2.0" it sounds like a second version rather then something new like nurse Joker.

Ya the purple clown outfit will be "second version" all new and improved, and it more then likely will come with the nurse gear this time instead of the cop stuff.

Hoping for a THIRD "regular" Joker? Why?

Re: Hot Toys New TDK Joker Coming?

11072920417eb7817e3416f725.jpg

1107292044a2ebc16ba5d8e567.jpg

This is crazy :gah: :gah:

I know it's fake or whatever, but wtf, you guys have miracle ____ in your eyes or something? I don't see a BR head with rooted hair in this pic.

Nvm, someone must've taken the pic down to confuse the ____ out of people.

Last edited:

Hoping for a THIRD "regular" Joker? Why?

Well while HT themselves do not benefit at all from secondary market sales, if there are bunch of Jokers moving here and there for fairly high prices, it indicates a demand for this particular figure, if they can retool or change even slightly not only will they capture the new demand but possibly create demand from current holders which translates to direct sales which they obviously do benefit from. While it pisses off some collectors, it isn't exactly bad business from a profits standpoint...

There were pics posted of a custom by lalla (BR Head with rooted hair), I guess they have been edited out of the post because its confirmed as a custom and not the real DX02

Well while HT themselves do not benefit at all from secondary market sales, if there are bunch of Jokers moving here and there for fairly high prices, it indicates a demand for this particular figure, if they can retool or change even slightly not only will they capture the new demand but possibly create demand from current holders which translates to direct sales which they obviously do benefit from. While it pisses off some collectors, it isn't exactly bad business from a profits standpoint...

But Mike, it'll be the THIRD time for this particular version and the FOURTH for this character.

And that's just Hot Toys we're talking about. There's also been a DCD version, a Medicom version and others I'm surely missing. Then we've had dozens of customizers with their unique takes on the character. Some great affordable headsculpts as well as expensive. Variations of each. Tailored clothes designed specifically for certain bodies, custom clothes, hand made items, special casts etc.

How much further can one go? There are still some highly anticipated films and characters that have yet to be made, and others are in the works that have taken decades to come to fruition. But here we have a billion incarnations of the same thing, pumped out in a mere 3 years? And most of those things are quality and fully realized pieces.

I don't feel sorry for anyone at this point. If you missed out on the v1 in 2008, then the Bank Robber a few months later and finally the DX in 2009, well, where the hell have you been? And that's disregarding the fact that each of those could be had for less than the MSRP for MONTHS. V1 could be had for $90 or less, Bank Robber $100, DX for $140. So if it was a financial thing, how could anyone STILL miss out.

I get what you're saying Defab. I don't like it either just b/c it feels like it's going downthe iron man road. I know there are ppl who have bought every incarnation, but for someone like me who wants to have one version, it's hard to buy now knowing that a possible superior version will come out later. But at the same time it doesn't bother me. I don't worry about figures losing value b/c that's not why I collect. But the DX01 will lose some once the piece is out then either level at still a high price or go back up some. V1 Joker still goes for around retail as well as Harvey Dent while earlier this year Harvey was $60 on amazon and V1 joker was $90

Retail? V1 has been hitting $200+ lately... nuts.

The reason Hot Toys keeps releasing Joker figures is(IMO) purely a business decision. I'm sure HT looks at their sales sheets and sees everyone eats up the Batman line. I mean first and foremost, HT is a business that has to make a profit. I think cool figures has very little to do with what HT makes. It's more of a what sells attitude. That's why we have so many Bats and IM stuff. Hot Toys knows very well that this stuff will sell very well. Now, if this V 2.0 Joker doesn't sell very well then no more Jokers.

This may seem like exciting times, especially for Hot Toys, but I personally think they're digging their own grave.

I think they've bitten more than they can chew. Think about it, there are about 8-9 DX figures now? Joker, Batman, MJ, Bruce Lee, Indy, Jack Sparrow, Luke, Joker, Batman and now, another Joker.

9 figures, only 4 of which have been made, 1 with infamous quality control issues, 1 which is in development hell with an unknown status, another that has been hyped up but has yet to ship, and the remaining 4 have only had a presence at the conventions. 2 of those shown in person the other two on a simple piece of paper and a place card holder. And, wait a minute, isn't there another Jack Sparrow coming too? Hahaha, THE FIRST ONE HASN'T EVEN SHIPPED YET!

And that's just their DX line?

How about MMS? How about their new Star Wars LFL license? Avatar, Watchmen, Terminator, Predator, Batman, Bruce Lee, Superman, Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, MGS, Sucker Punch, reboots, modern films, classic. Hell, I know I'm missing something.

Then there's also this new trend of rereleasing or completely remaking a character/figure. Batman, Predator, Joker and Iron Man are now on their thousandth figure. This is something that was always considered taboo and unheard of. Now, it's simply expected. Don't get me wrong, this just isn't about value and secondary market, it's about legitimate collectibility. IF they'll always make a better version, why should we buy the previous one? Why collect at all if it's only about upgrading?

I'm sure they have good intentions but in the next year or so, I sense broken promises and over-saturation. There's always a double edged sword.

The last few v1 Joker sold for:

$157 July 28 (sealed)
$199 July 28 (sealed)
$228 July 27 (sealed)
$212 July 27 (sealed)
$131 July 26 (opened)
$142 July 21 (opened)
$185 July 21 (opened)

kind of had a bump in price a few days ago, and now seems to be going back down slightly...

This may seem like exciting times, especially for Hot Toys, but I personally think they're digging their own grave.

I think they've bitten more than they can chew. Think about it, there are about 8-9 DX figures now? Joker, Batman, MJ, Bruce Lee, Indy, Jack Sparrow, Luke, Joker, Batman and now, another Joker.

9 figures, only 4 of which have been made, 1 with infamous quality control issues, 1 which is in development hell with an unknown status, another that has been hyped up but has yet to ship, and the remaining 4 have only had a presence at the conventions. 2 of those shown in person the other two on a simple piece of paper and a place card holder. And, wait a minute, isn't there another Jack Sparrow coming too? Hahaha, THE FIRST ONE HASN'T EVEN SHIPPED YET!

And that's just their DX line?

How about MMS? How about their new Star Wars LFL license? Avatar, Watchmen, Terminator, Predator, Batman, Bruce Lee, Superman, Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, MGS, Sucker Punch, reboots, modern films, classic. Hell, I know I'm missing something.

Then there's also this new trend of rereleasing or completely remaking a character/figure. Batman, Predator, Joker and Iron Man are now on their thousandth figure. This is something that was always considered taboo and unheard of. Now, it's simply expected. Don't get me wrong, this just isn't about value and secondary market, it's about legitimate collectibility. IF they'll always make a better version, why should we buy the previous one? Why collect at all if it's only about upgrading?

I'm sure they have good intentions but in the next year or so, I sense broken promises and over-saturation. There's always a double edged sword.

ask bowen how all the redo's & re-releases worked for them :monkey1

Yeah the HT bubble is bound to burst with the amount of licenses they've taken on and un-addressed QC issues. They simply don't have enough quality sculptors to do justice to all of the licenses they have taken on.

And you get the feeling the next QC disaster is around the corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back