Hot Toys "RoboCop (Battle Damaged Ver) & Alex Murphy Collectible Figures Set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys, "RoboCop (Battle Damaged Ver) & Alex Murphy Collectible Figures Set

My only thing against this set is that in all honesty I think one of the worst aspects of the original Robocop is that Murphy's character development prior to becoming Robocop is really crappy. I mean he basically shows up to at the police station, gets called out on his first mission, gets shot to hell, and the next time we see him he's Robocop. Sure we get some brief flashbacks but really not much (the sequel actually did a better job expanding on Murphy the man if you ask me). I know it won't be a popular opinion but in all honesty I thought the remake did a much better job in making Murphy a sympathetic character. We saw a bit more of him as a regular man before becoming Robocop and also got to see how his wife and son reacted and struggled with what happens to him. In the original film it's like no one gives a crap and just use his body because he signed some paperwork or something.

I don't hate the film but I've always had some problems with it especially looking back on it now. I still might get this set though because it looks cool and it'd be nice to have the three very different versions of Robocop/Murphy on display.

Re: Hot Toys, "RoboCop (Battle Damaged Ver) & Alex Murphy Collectible Figures Set

People said the same thing about Jack Nicholson when the Joker DX figure was $260 . . .

. . . then DX Mime Joker came out for $200.
Yeah but that was when regular figures used to cost like 150 too wasn't it? Now they cost like 200 on the average and like 230 for a a name. Regular Robo was 300, maybe 220 for Murphy? Deal for 500 lol

Sent from the Cockpit of the Millenium Falcon

My only thing against this set is that in all honesty I think one of the worst aspects of the original Robocop is that Murphy's character development prior to becoming Robocop is really crappy. I mean he basically shows up to at the police station, gets called out on his first mission, gets shot to hell, and the next time we see him he's Robocop. Sure we get some brief flashbacks but really not much (the sequel actually did a better job expanding on Murphy the man if you ask me). I know it won't be a popular opinion but in all honesty I thought the remake did a much better job in making Murphy a sympathetic character. We saw a bit more of him as a regular man before becoming Robocop and also got to see how his wife and son reacted and struggled with what happens to him. In the original film it's like no one gives a crap and just use his body because he signed some paperwork or something.

I don't hate the film but I've always had some problems with it especially looking back on it now. I still might get this set though because it looks cool and it'd be nice to have the three very different versions of Robocop/Murphy on display.

Da Fook?

I actually think this was a strength in the first film. There wasn't an additional 15 or 20 minutes of backstory that was tacked on. Robo's memory of his previous life is spotty, which pretty much applies to the audience as well.

It could/should have been explored further in the sequel/s.

And nothing will ever beat this reveal, with the ominous crash.

murphydead.jpg

My only thing against this set is that in all honesty I think one of the worst aspects of the original Robocop is that Murphy's character development prior to becoming Robocop is really crappy. The sequel actually did a better job expanding on Murphy. The remake did a much better job.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

I actually think this was a strength in the first film. There wasn't an additional 15 or 20 minutes of backstory that was tacked on. Robo's memory of his previous life is spotty, which pretty much applies to the audience as well.

It could/should have been explored further in the sequel/s.

And nothing will ever beat this reveal, with the ominous crash.

View attachment 138658
Like I said though, the problem to me in the original film is that Murphy had almost no character development and it was hard to sympathize with him. The remake didn't go overboard but those twenty or so minutes gave the audience a chance to know him prior to becoming Robocop and made what happens to him more tragic and easier to sympathize with. The way Robocop put together on his own who he was in the first film was good, but I found the scene in the remake where Gary Oldman's character shows him all that's left of him after the car bombing and his transformation into Robocop pretty effective too. A different approach but still it worked pretty well if you ask me. I think that both films have their merits but I know it's not the cool opinion to admit that some of the directions the remake took worked as well or better than the original.

Yeah but that was when regular figures used to cost like 150 too wasn't it? Now they cost like 200 on the average and like 230 for a a name. Regular Robo was 300, maybe 220 for Murphy? Deal for 500 lol

At that time a few years ago, figures broke the $200 barrier. Reeve Superman and Toy Fairs Batman broke it with their $200-$224 releases.

Like I said though, the problem to me in the original film is that Murphy had almost no character development and it was hard to sympathize with him. The remake didn't go overboard but those twenty or so minutes gave the audience a chance to know him prior to becoming Robocop and made what happens to him more tragic and easier to sympathize with. The way Robocop put together on his own who he was in the first film was good, but I found the scene in the remake where Gary Oldman's character shows him all that's left of him after the car bombing and his transformation into Robocop pretty effective too. A different approach but still it worked pretty well if you ask me. I think that both films have their merits but I know it's not the cool opinion to admit that some of the directions the remake took worked as well or better than the original.

I think the small talk with Lewis and the flashbacks sufficed, especially the one where his wife seems pissed off at him, but isn't.

And the fact that he was literally blown to bits by about two dozen shotgun blasts with the perps leering and laughing and cackling makes him a sympathetic figure. I know I felt sorry for him. And I was nine at the time.

I liked that what we knew about his family was what we saw through his eyes. I think this and the flashbacks made up that character development and by the end of the movie he's such a tragic character. I love this movie.

Sent from the Cockpit of the Millenium Falcon

What else do we need to know about Murphy in Robocop that isn't revealed to us? Nothing. The only expansion of character we get in Robocop 2 is that he was Irish/Catholic and his wife is disturbed by Robocop's stalking. Ok? What else do we need to know?

We're introduced to Murphy plenty. He's an everyman, he transferred to this new Detroit station, it's his first day, his kid looks up to him and he's practicing his pistol twirl because of TJ Lazer (which has a huge impact on Robo's psyche). What else should we know? You sympathize with the character because he gets blown to bits in the most brutal and violent way. That's the point. Once he's Robocop, then we get to see more of Murphy's background (the house, the memories, his wife), because, well Robocop = Murphy, albeit a newly resurrected Murphy. When Robo is moving through the house and they go through the Halloween memory, that strikes a cord with me. It's sad and a great scene.

The only issue I have with the first film is how Anne Lewis and Murphy act once they reach Clarance's hideout at the abandoned mill. They're ****ing idiots not waiting for back up and they look like they're playing laser tag the way they carry their guns and hold themselves when they move in on them. :lol

I'm not saying that he needed a ton of backstory. I just think what the remake did worked pretty well. It gave Murphy the man some screen time for the audience to see that before and after. The original it's pretty much like he barely shows up and is Robocop five minutes later. I agree that he's still a tragic figure in the original film, but I just think the way that it seemed like no one even cared about him (other than Lewis I suppose) more messed up than anything.

I'll give the remake another watch sometime soon I think. To try to see why Mike86 would say such things :wink1: :lol

I'll give the remake another watch sometime soon I think. To try to see why Mike86 would say such things :wink1: :lol
:lol I'm not saying its better but I think it stands on its own pretty well and I can appreciate some of the different approaches it took. To me the remake seemed like it was telling a similar story in the same world, but for a remake it at least seemed like it was trying to put some effort into being something similar but not an exact clone of the original. I sort of respect that and think a lot of people unfairly judged the remake just because they love the original. I like the original a lot too, although I'm not a diehard fan admittedly.

I'm not saying that he needed a ton of backstory. I just think what the remake did worked pretty well. It gave Murphy the man some screen time for the audience to see that before and after. The original it's pretty much like he barely shows up and is Robocop five minutes later. I agree that he's still a tragic figure in the original film, but I just think the way that it seemed like no one even cared about him (other than Lewis I suppose) more messed up than anything.

But that's the point, cops in Old Detroit are expendable, due to lack of funding and OCP's shenanigans. Murphy's at Metro West for barely a half-hour when the rest of the force learns that a fellow cop didn't survive his injuries. And then he winds up on the slab several hours later.

Murphy would've been just another statistic had it not been for a go-getter like Bob Morton.

Yeah, the new one gets credit for trying to be a good movie on its own merits. It isn't nearly as good as the original, it's more traditional and less risky, and I think it suffered from the casting of Murphy, but the action was generally good, the story was pretty good, and the acting was good overall with Keaton and Oldman doing fine jobs.

Back