Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was hoping to be able to use those, but yeah without the photoshopped effects of the proto pics they just don't look that great at all. And they'll probably go straight into my parts bin alongside the Ghostbusters proton beam and Spideys webs.

So many ideas for this. So little time.

I was hoping to be able to use those, but yeah without the photoshopped effects of the proto pics they just don't look that great at all. And they'll probably go straight into my parts bin alongside the Ghostbusters proton beam and Spideys webs.

I was thinking about using them as well, but I doubt I will. The expression on this sculpt to me calls for the figure to be in a corresponding pose from the right scene, otherwise, it makes it look like he’s drunk or something.

Either the “Oh no, my young Jedi, I’m afraid that it is you who are mistaken,” scene. Or “Perhaps you refer to the imminent attack of your Rebel fleet,” (while holding saber hilt in one hand) seem to be the scenes that fit this expression best in my mind.

4BBFE2C0-F676-4461-9F81-ACD240326DAF.jpg

756717F1-2E92-4FCB-8BD2-E7E5800253CE.jpg
796955B8-B254-45AD-87D3-5CE55CC507AE.jpg

It also seemed like in the ToysTv video that the lightning pieces would sag/droop over time. The bolts are much longer than I thought they'd be and they kinda sit out there cantilevered from his hands..

I do think certain colored "stream effects" can look cool, but the ones for GB and this guy do have that "hard candy" look more than a lightning bolt type effect.

After watching the videos on YouTube...this really is a nice looking figure.

I’m debating now whether to upgrade to the deluxe. The Emperor would stand out sitting on his throne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely want the throne with the HT Emperor.
Will sell my Sideshow version.

Please take a photo to show us how much excess dye comes out. :wave

That would be interesting to see

Right? It’s like what’s your suggestion then, that the Emperor have no clothes? :lol

Palpy muscle.jpg

I love the figure, it is a must have.

Now that it’s had a couple of days up on the shelf, and re-watching his scenes in ROTJ, I think the robe is too bulky, especially the hood.

I am terrified at the thought of washing it, and or soaking it, but I think I’m gonna do it over the weekend.

After that, I think it’s time for soaking it in hair spray, then shaping it. Yes, I’m terrified...

Of course, this is completely my failure in not doing it, to quote:

“Do what must be done.”

0eabce6dc2a36f8f53aae3c2e659cbce.jpg

d278f50180868645a1cbbb2b5fa53682.png

Notice that you can see the top of Ian’s head, the roundness of his head, the cloth is lying flat on it, it doesn’t have its own puffy and or bulky shape, that’s what’s off putting to me

I love the figure, it is a must have.

Now that it’s had a couple of days up on the shelf, and re-watching his scenes in ROTJ, I think the robe is too bulky, especially the hood.

I am terrified at the thought of washing it, and or soaking it, but I think I’m gonna do it over the weekend.

After that, I think it’s time for soaking it in hair spray, then shaping it. Yes, I’m terrified...

Of course, this is completely my failure in not doing it, to quote:

“Do what must be done.”

Notice that you can see the top of Ian’s head, the roundness of his head, the cloth is lying flat on it, it doesn’t have its own puffy and or bulky shape, that’s what’s off putting to me

How do you take off that robe? Does it have a zipper somewhere? It's the clasp holding it?

It's a figure though, you're never going to replicate the behavior of large, heavy fabric at this scale, the robe sits on McDiarmid like that because of how hefty it is, his whole costume shows heft to it. With a little futzing and wire play, you can get this hood to look good, some photos already look really nice for a figure.

Do not think there is any comparisons to be made....
6399eeacfcd81b5af226d6180fd62ba6.jpeg

df9bbcf862995a5c3caab25c619db3ae.jpg

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

xipotec--thank you for your tutorial. I remember you posting this on the Kylo Ren thread some time ago, but a refresher is always appreciated.

If I could I would leave you a 'rep!'

:clap

xipotec--thank you for your tutorial. I remember you posting this on the Kylo Ren thread some time ago, but a refresher is always appreciated.

If I could I would leave you a 'rep!'

:clap

Sure ! No problem, some of the links have died....but the discussion remains.

Sure ! No problem, some of the links have died....but the discussion remains.

Yes, thank you for doing that and sharing! I haven’t done water treatment to any of my figures but I’m debating doing it with Palps when he arrives.

Here is a tutorial I did a while back on how I like to do Water Treatments...especially for robes.....

With this one I will soak it to get our excessive dye first, then re do withe he sprayer to get the robe to lay the way I want....

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com...-questions/167584-water-treatment-method.html

Awesome tutorial! But yeah - just to clarify for others, we are talking about two different procedures here: water treatment is to make 1/6 clothing hang more naturally, whereas this outfit (and many other HT outfits it seems) also needs a soaking perhaps including vinegar to lessen the dye and help set it.

Unfortunately the two processes are needed for this figure (due to the robes not hanging well as per FSOHK having it in-hand AND the dye being a danger to his pale skinned head/neck/hands) but some outfits only need one or the other - outfits that hang fine but are bleeding dye on heads/hands, and outfits that aren't bleeding dye but are hanging unnaturally.

Awesome tutorial! But yeah - just to clarify for others, we are talking about two different procedures here: water treatment is to make 1/6 clothing hang more naturally, whereas this outfit (and many other HT outfits it seems) also needs a soaking perhaps including vinegar to lessen the dye and help set it.

Unfortunately the two processes are needed for this figure (due to the robes not hanging well as per FSOHK having it in-hand AND the dye being a danger to his pale skinned head/neck/hands) but some outfits only need one or the other - outfits that hang fine but are bleeding dye on heads/hands, and outfits that aren't bleeding dye but are hanging unnaturally.

Good advice. Like I said for this guy....

Strip him down (ewe)
Soak the Robe in warm water , rinse repeat. Vinegar can help set some dyes, as does salt.
Shame this step is needed at all.

Hang dry, then the water treatment to help the robes flow and sit better.....

Back