Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guinea pig here, I went for it:

d7f8ff5860b0e3a4a9557ebc220f4f51.jpg
b46f19f0467166d2272ddc5dfc7b3d2b.jpg

95ec9902df7c11c76417743f293fc06c.jpg

b70f211aa9c48bbd9286bdd5c3893023.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The plan now is to let it fully air dry, no direct sunlight.

Then I will put it back on to see if there is any shrinkage.

After that, I will wrap the sculpt in saran wrap, and then it’s crazy time, I will get some select film stills from Return of the Jedi, and then I will go and soak it with hairspray and mold it and shaped into that pose that I’m looking for ...

5ca18ce6e7e35889553c65da8a17af17.jpg

c9ea9ab41719ce887285d1a7dfc2e73e.jpg

ac06f2f9a30d6274104a705584ea1fab.jpg

6271232de401cfbfcf96c7947280dabc.jpg

This may be the funniest picture of a raw figure to ever appear on these forums.....

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Yeah, he really looks so happy to be part of the process.

I'm not exactly sure all of this is enhancing my excitement for this figure however.:lol

They just changed my flex date to November, did they delay this, or is it still set for October?

Here’s where the terror begins:

713be9429d328cbc2d86794ecdf067ad.jpg

8db46d612eaa766d41c6210a735f9e57.jpg

I have a pretty strong feeling that this thing does not bleed out onto the figure, and maybe they are just trying to avoid legal liability by putting that warning in the instructions manual. Then again, really strong hairspray is a whole different beast, I might get some reaction out of that, hence I have to put cling wrap around the sculpt first ...

It looks like a similar material to that used for the Kylo Ren figure. I don't recall any bleeding from that one.

I really doused the hood heavily with hairspray, and have been shaping it, absolutely no bleed at all coming off of it ...

306610331acd099e9fabb5ef3c06159c.jpg

I know that this is going to take several rounds to get it exactly the way I want it, but I can already see a difference, with the puffiness being taken out of it

ballsy thing to do with a brand new figure, hope it works out for you. It looks to be a great OT release and i can't wait till mine ships out!

Here is a tutorial I did a while back on how I like to do Water Treatments...especially for robes.....

With this one I will soak it to get our excessive dye first, then re do withe he sprayer to get the robe to lay the way I want....

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com...-questions/167584-water-treatment-method.html

Cool tutorial. Did something similar to my old Sideshow Vader many years ago. But not sure if it is enough to stop the color transfer of the robe

Awesome tutorial! But yeah - just to clarify for others, we are talking about two different procedures here: water treatment is to make 1/6 clothing hang more naturally, whereas this outfit (and many other HT outfits it seems) also needs a soaking perhaps including vinegar to lessen the dye and help set it.

Unfortunately the two processes are needed for this figure (due to the robes not hanging well as per FSOHK having it in-hand AND the dye being a danger to his pale skinned head/neck/hands) but some outfits only need one or the other - outfits that hang fine but are bleeding dye on heads/hands, and outfits that aren't bleeding dye but are hanging unnaturally.

Exactly. Two different things. But maybe both are necessary.

Good advice. Like I said for this guy....

Strip him down (ewe)
Soak the Robe in warm water , rinse repeat. Vinegar can help set some dyes, as does salt.
Shame this step is needed at all.

Hang dry, then the water treatment to help the robes flow and sit better.....

I will definitely soak the robe. Found a few interesting reads about vinegar and salt, if they are to be used or not:

https://www.hunker.com/13422730/how-to-set-dye

https://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/settingdye.shtml

Guinea pig here, I went for it:

95ec9902df7c11c76417743f293fc06c.jpg

The plan now is to let it fully air dry, no direct sunlight.

Then I will put it back on to see if there is any shrinkage.

After that, I will wrap the sculpt in saran wrap, and then it’s crazy time, I will get some select film stills from Return of the Jedi, and then I will go and soak it with hairspray and mold it and shaped into that pose that I’m looking for ...

5ca18ce6e7e35889553c65da8a17af17.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Emperor looks happy :lol

This is what the final result was on Kylo...
be55012b49e8cf8e151153d1ce85033c.jpg

Back