Hot Toys TDKR: 1/4th scale Batman [QS001] - Full Reveal & Specs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swapped my NRD for the Hulk for this guy... Can't wait to get him. Does anyone whose seen the figure at SDCC know if the Scarecrow mask is cloth or plastic? The prototype pics look plastic, but it would be great to be able to pose Batman holding onto it.

OK, but that happens with all figures so I never expected the paint to look like the proto. The final DX12 Wayne doesn't look good in any of the photos I've seen (even OMG's). In hand it doesn't look any better. I was disappointed with it.

Has anyone repainted it? I haven't come across any...

Why would Hot Toys revise a sculpt to look worse?

It's rare that a sculpt is revised at all, and when it is it's for the better and everyone can see it. For example Christopher Reeve Superman.

But when a sculpt is not revised, the production piece never looks as good as the prototype. The paint apps will never be as good, and a secondary reason is there will be some degree of "softening" to the sculpt from being cast. Some heads show more of this softening than others. Perhaps that's the case with the DX12 and that's what you're seeing.

For me personally, the DX12 has, far and away, the best production BW head-sculpt to date (do you remember HT past attempts?). And I even like it better than the custom one.

OK, but that happens with all figures so I never expected the paint to look like the proto. The final DX12 Wayne doesn't look good in any of the photos I've seen (even OMG's). In hand it doesn't look any better. I was disappointed with it.

Has anyone repainted it? I haven't come across any...

I think if they did it might put the matter to rest, the majority of people here on freaks thinks its paint application but I just can't see that by looking at the sculpt. However, I am willing to have an open mind and accept that it is in deed paint application that explains the night and day differences but only if someone would provide some proof for this, instead of saying oh its painted by JC Hong that's why it looks different.

Why would Hot Toys revise a sculpt to look worse?

They don't do it on purpose it gets deformed or soften in the production process like you have said below.

But when a sculpt is not revised, the production piece never looks as good as the prototype. The paint apps will never be as good, and a secondary reason is there will be some degree of "softening" to the sculpt from being cast. Some heads show more of this softening than others. Perhaps that's the case with the DX12 and that's what you're seeing.

:exactly:

IMO that is the main reason, it looks different because like you said some degree of softening. That is a more plausible explanation than saying it is paint applications.

For me personally, the DX12 has, far and away, the best production BW head-sculpt to date (do you remember HT past attempts?). And I even like it better than the custom one.

Yeah I agree Adam's one is not very good except on certain angles but that is not the issue here. The issue is why does the final product DX12 Bale sculpt look so different to the prototype pics? I think you have answered it and that is that the sculpt gets soften or deformed during the conversion of the resin prototype to PVC mass produced sculpt.

However, like you said you don't want to debate about this, I was just saying the second point you made sounds more plausible. I think the case on this is closed.

:exactly:

IMO that is the main reason, it looks different because like you said some degree of softening. That is a more plausible explanation than saying it is paint applications.

Yeah I agree Adam's one is not very good except on certain angles but that is not the issue here. The issue is why does the final product DX12 Bale sculpt look so different to the prototype pics? I think you have answered it and that is that the sculpt gets soften or deformed during the conversion of the resin prototype to PVC mass produced sculpt.

I'm glad finally I'm not the only one who see big differences between the DX12 Bruce Wayne proto and final product. :lol

Althought I think think the paint job on the eyes and the eyebrows plays a major impact in the final product. Hot Toys final product always have this problem in their painted eyes... they are cockeyed....

That's something that I like about Enterbay, what you see in promo pictures is what you get (plus some QC issues :monkey1)

I'm with you mag, dx12's Bruce sculpt is fantastic. Sure the final paint app doesn't have the inner reflection/turmoil look from the proto, instead he looks troubled...the pissed off kind. However, it's still a kicka$$ bale/Bruce sculpt.

So back to QS001!!

I'm glad finally I'm not the only one who see big differences between the DX12 Bruce Wayne proto and final product. :lol

Of course you are not the only one, if you were there wouldn't have been have posters on Hot Toys face book saying wanted dead or alive for the proto sculpt. I just think it looks so dam obvious but like I said I am not trying to debate about this and say I am right it just looks totally different IMO and I can't see how paint applications could make such a major difference. Nevertheless, although I think it is unlikely I still believe it is possible that paint applications could make such a difference.

I'm with you mag, dx12's Bruce sculpt is fantastic. Sure the final paint app doesn't have the inner reflection/turmoil look from the proto, instead he looks troubled...the pissed off kind. However, it's still a kicka$$ bale/Bruce sculpt.

So back to QS001!!

Agreed. So Brook have you preordered yours?

Last edited:
He's pissed that I cancelled the HT :lol

picture.php

picture.php

He's pissed that I cancelled the HT :lol

picture.php

picture.php

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Why did you cancel? Too much stuff your plate? IMO this is a must have figure but there are lot of things coming out that are a must have to. So for me it all comes down to a choice and sometimes you can't have everything you want because there is just too much great stuff to get. :gah:

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Why did you cancel? Too much stuff your plate? IMO this is a must have figure but there are lot of things coming out that are a must have to. So for me it all comes down to a choice and sometimes you can't have everything you want because there is just too much great stuff to get. :gah:

The left side of my signature holds the answer to your question. :rotfl

There are only so many single piece above $700 superhero collectible purchases that I can get away with within a year. :lol

That's nothing, how about the LSF Wolverine that costs 4 Batmobiles! :horror

Imagine buying that! :thud:

Last edited:
Can someone more talented than me post the old proto pic and new SDCC pics side by side? If this has already been done please direct me to the page number. Thanks.

It has been done numerous times. There is one on page 377.

The left side of my signature holds the answer to your question. :rotfl

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Not too much on your plate but very expensive items, plus they take up a lot of space. I am still debating whether to get the Bat mobile.

Of course you are not the only one, if you were there wouldn't have been have posters on Hot Toys face book saying wanted dead or alive for the proto sculpt. I just think it looks so dam obvious but like I said I am not trying to debate about this and say I am right it just looks totally different IMO and I can't see how paint applications could make such a major difference. Nevertheless, although I think it is unlikely I still believe it is possible that paint applications could make such a difference.

Agreed. So Brook have you preordered yours?

In banes voice- OF CAWRSE! I'm getting 2!

In banes voice- OF CAWRSE! I'm getting 2!

I would love to get two but feel I could spend the money on something else that I need as there is so much stuff coming out like Avengers Hulk and maybe the Batmobile. Decisions decisions.

Congrats on getting two though, what display options are you thinking of? Would you display the Bale sculpt as it is or would you want it changed like most people on here do?

what are the chances do you guys think HT will end up doing maybe a bat-pod for this figure in 1/4 scale? i for one would buy it in a heartbeat.

I would love to get two but feel I could spend the money on something else that I need as there is so much stuff coming out like Avengers Hulk and maybe the Batmobile. Decisions decisions.

Congrats on getting two though, what display options are you thinking of? Would you display the Bale sculpt as it is or would you want it changed like most people on here do?

Well I'm gonna keep one MIB and display the other one. Just standing there, all bada$$, no need to equip anything.

As for the Bruce sculpt, I already like the proto. and if its revised, even better. The ONLY thing I would want changed are the tear ducts. They're a bit too prominent for my liking. But maybe that's just the paint.

Well I'm gonna keep one MIB and display the other one. Just standing there, all bada$$, no need to equip anything.

As for the Bruce sculpt, I already like the proto. and if its revised, even better. The ONLY thing I would want changed are the tear ducts. They're a bit too prominent for my liking. But maybe that's just the paint.

So you are getting one just for an investment then?

I also have no issues with the Bale sculpt either but if there are improvements I am all for it. Never noticed the tear ducts until you mentioned it now that's all I see| :gah: :lol

Back