Hot Toys TDKR: 1/4th scale Batman [QS001] - Full Reveal & Specs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who are you talking about here? :huh

OMG you bought three of these? What display options are you going to use?

Just gonna display one. Cowled, all bada$$ looking.

Wow what did she say?

After a minute, she said "you make sense, I never saw it that way."

You can kind of debate the rest but Transformers are clearly toys, whether they are MPs or not. That does not mean it is a bad thing, it just means you like to collect toys that you grew up with. It's not childish.

That's where I disagree. The masterpiece series are pretty mch dedicated to G1. Just about anyone from the 80s to early 90s can appreciate the MP line. Not to mention the asking prices...I mean really, can you see yourself spending $250 for MP prime and handing it off to your 5 year old? That's what the cheaper lines are for. MP is aimed at older audiences.

Like I said earlier, these are by definition, toys. But when the price line has crossed $80 and soared upwards to $500, I think that places them in collectors item and not just simply "toy".

Just gonna display one. Cowled, all bada$$ looking.

Why did you buy the EX then? You don't like the Bale sculpt? :huh

After a minute, she said "you make sense, I never saw it that way."

Wow I can't believe you manage to convince her, if only the rest of us could do that. :lol

That's where I disagree. The masterpiece series are pretty mch dedicated to G1. Just about anyone from the 80s to early 90s can appreciate the MP line. Not to mention the asking prices...I mean really, can you see yourself spending $250 for MP prime and handing it off to your 5 year old? That's what the cheaper lines are for. MP is aimed at older audiences.

Like I said earlier, these are by definition, toys. But when the price line has crossed $80 and soared upwards to $500, I think that places them in collectors item and not just simply "toy".

So many adults went and bought the Armada Unicron toy when it was first released because that was a toy they have been waiting for since 1986, yet that was aimed at five year olds and up. Just because we grew up with it doesn't mean it is not a toy. As for the Takara MP line, just because it is expensive doesn't mean it's not a toy, just a toy aimed more at adults that grew up with the series. I think you are getting confused with the notion that a toy means like it is aimed for kids. The MP TFs are clearly toys because the idea is to play with them, that is what a toy is meant for, to play with.

Last edited:
Why did you buy the EX then? You don't like the Bale sculpt? :huh

I love the bale sculpt, I just love the cowl even more because of the ERS.

Wow I can't believe you manage to convince her, if only the rest of us could do that. :lol

It's just logic and common sense. It's not just saying the words, but it's how you say them that helps.

So many adults went and bought the Armada Unicron toy when it was first released because that was a toy they have been waiting for since 1986, yet that was aimed at five year olds and up. Just because we grew up with it doesn't mean it is not a toy. As for the Takara MP line, just because it is expensive doesn't mean it's not a toy, just a toy aimed more at adults that grew up with the series. I think you are getting confused with the notion that a toy means like it is aimed for kids. The MP TFs are clearly toys because the idea is to play with them, that is what a toy is meant for, to play with.

I'm not disputing the fact that these are toys, I'm just saying that IMO, once the prices go past a threshold, they shouldn't be considered as merely toys. It's kind of the same logic with graphic novels vs comic books. At one point, comic books, just the mere mention of the term will make an uneducated person sneer at the fact we're reading them and label them "funny books". As soon as comic books became legitimate sources for strong, complelling stories, they elevated themselves to what many would now label them as graphic novels.

Personally, I hate it when people look upon our hobby and say "toy" with an air of snobbish intent. Its even more irksome especially when it comes from those that collect statues or busts...based on the same characters! It's like, what makes your medium more respected than mine?

You also mentioned that they're to be played with. I agree...but once again I bring up the notion of bestowing upon your children a $300 toy. These toys we are playing with now are fragile as hell. They have loose parts, moveable parts, delicate parts. You're NOT supposed to play with them as if they're mattel or hasbro. Just set it and forget it.

Once again, I'm not disputing that these are toys, I've mentioned tat numerous times. I just feel that at certain price points, age demographics, what we collect are no longer toys but collectors items.

Even though the company is called hot TOYS...every new release followed with specs and what have you, they never label their products as toy. They're labeled as collectible or collectible figure. See what I'm getting at here?

I love the bale sculpt, I just love the cowl even more because of the ERS.

Why not buy another one then? That way you will be able to display all the mouth pieces unless you don't like that straw sucking one? :dunno

It's just logic and common sense. It's not just saying the words, but it's how you say them that helps.

Hmm ok I will try and keep that in mind then. ;)

I'm not disputing the fact that these are toys, I'm just saying that IMO, once the prices go past a threshold, they shouldn't be considered as merely toys. It's kind of the same logic with graphic novels vs comic books. At one point, comic books, just the mere mention of the term will make an uneducated person sneer at the fact we're reading them and label them "funny books". As soon as comic books became legitimate sources for strong, complelling stories, they elevated themselves to what many would now label them as graphic novels.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't there an actual difference now between comic books and graphic novels? Like aren't graphic novels more like Sin city? I am pretty sure most superhero comic books are still suitable for children right? :dunno

Personally, I hate it when people look upon our hobby and say "toy" with an air of snobbish intent. Its even more irksome especially when it comes from those that collect statues or busts...based on the same characters! It's like, what makes your medium more respected than mine?

Would you prefer the word doll? That's what people call my collection. :lol

You also mentioned that they're to be played with. I agree...but once again I bring up the notion of bestowing upon your children a $300 toy. These toys we are playing with now are fragile as hell. They have loose parts, moveable parts, delicate parts. You're NOT supposed to play with them as if they're mattel or hasbro. Just set it and forget it.

Now that's true but the HT TASM can't be posed at all otherwise it will break. :slap

Once again, I'm not disputing that these are toys, I've mentioned tat numerous times. I just feel that at certain price points, age demographics, what we collect are no longer toys but collectors items.

I think you mean not just toys but more than toys right because otherwise you are contradicting yourself in that paragraph. :confused:

Even though the company is called hot TOYS...every new release followed with specs and what have you, they never label their products as toy. They're labeled as collectible or collectible figure. See what I'm getting at here?

Yeah I do but most people don't see it that way. For instance a lot of people see that name and the first thing that comes to their mind is toys. Someone on you tube said you collect toys and the guy writes back and says they are not toys, so then the other guy writes back then why is the company called Hot Toys then?

Way I go about it is that yeah theyre action figures. Dolls. Toys. There's no real escaping from it, BUT, they are the coolest most badass, high end action figures and dolls out there, and kick the crap out of most anything you can find at your typical toy store. :yess::hi5:

Way I go about it is that yeah theyre action figures. Dolls. Toys. There's no real escaping from it, BUT, they are the coolest most badass, high end action figures and dolls out there, and kick the crap out of most anything you can find at your typical toy store. :yess::hi5:

:exactly:

They also kick the **** out of any statue you can buy to!

My girlfriend's totally cool with my collecting as well. She knows that I make sure that priorities are taken care of before I buy/pre-order.

What's funny is that sometimes she's the one who convinces me to get a figure whenever I'm having second thoughts of buying, by telling me "are you sure you won't regret not getting it?"

:)

Why not buy another one then? That way you will be able to display all the mouth pieces unless you don't like that straw sucking one? :dunno

I think 3s enough lol.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't there an actual difference now between comic books and graphic novels? Like aren't graphic novels more like Sin city? I am pretty sure most superhero comic books are still suitable for children right? :dunno

Because of works from frank miller, Morrison did the term graphic novel become common place.

Would you prefer the word doll? That's what people call my collection. :lol

That's another one that irks the hell out of me.

I think you mean not just toys but more than toys right because otherwise you are contradicting yourself in that paragraph. :confused:

Yeah that's what I meant, got my words mixed up there.

Yeah I do but most people don't see it that way. For instance a lot of people see that name and the first thing that comes to their mind is toys. Someone on you tube said you collect toys and the guy writes back and says they are not toys, so then the other guy writes back then why is the company called Hot Toys then?

I know many don't see it that way. It's frustrating. If you've ever seen the making of docs from batman begins, one of the producers of the batman films, Michael e. uslan felt the same way when comics were viewed as nothing more than kids books/funny books. I'm not trying to start a movement here where I want these figures to be elevated to some kind of social status...however I would like to educate some, opening their eyes so they can stop saying "you spent how much on a toy??"

Of course I ask them in return "you spent how much on a tshirt??"

My girlfriend's totally cool with my collecting as well. She knows that I make sure that priorities are taken care of before I buy/pre-order.

What's funny is that sometimes she's the one who convinces me to get a figure whenever I'm having second thoughts of buying, by telling me "are you sure you won't regret not getting it?"

:)

Hold onto her man she is a keeper. :wink1:

I think 3s enough lol.

Fair enough so I take it you are going to display each figure with all the face plates except the straw sucking one?

Because of works from frank miller, Morrison did the term graphic novel become common place.

So are you saying all comic books should be termed graphic novels then?

That's another one that irks the hell out of me.

Well when people who don't collect this stuff and see figures with clothes on they consider them dolls (even PFs), only because it is was not common to see action figures with clothes for toys aimed at male children as those figures tend to have sculpted clothes. However, this terminology may start to change as it really is just semantics.

Yeah that's what I meant, got my words mixed up there.

Oh ok just confirming that I got it right. :yess:

I know many don't see it that way. It's frustrating.

Yeah but for those who don't are they people that collect this stuff?

If you've ever seen the making of docs from batman begins, one of the producers of the batman films, Michael e. uslan felt the same way when comics were viewed as nothing more than kids books/funny books.

I don't even read comic books but I know how detailed the plots of some of there are. Like the Joker 52 where he rips his face off. I think you would have to be pretty narrow minded to think all comic books are just aimed at kids.

I'm not trying to start a movement here where I want these figures to be elevated to some kind of social status...however I would like to educate some, opening their eyes so they can stop saying "you spent how much on a toy??"

Of course I ask them in return "you spent how much on a tshirt??"

So people do say that to you then? I thought you said you know many that don't see these as toys? :confused:

I don't care what anyone's disposable income or financial well being is, $300 on average for 1/6 and $500+ for 1/4 is ridiculous for these things no matter how you justify it.

I've spent thousands on glorified, breakable plastic that were made and peddled in china, toys/collectible a or not. If I take a good, long look at my collection, yeah, it is a bit ridiculous. It wasn't so bad a couple of years ago, but the prices now for these things? Yeah, it's bad.

I'll still justify it because, "well, I like this", I did it for the Hot Toys Batmobile two months ago, I'll do it with their Terminators and Robocop, but it's still shocking what we throw down on these things without a seconds thought.

I don't care what anyone's disposable income or financial well being is, $300 on average for 1/6 and $500+ for 1/4 is ridiculous for these things no matter how you justify it.

Are there really people here that are justifying the prices for these figures?

I've spent thousands on glorified, breakable plastic that were made and peddled in china, toys/collectible a or not. If I take a good, long look at my collection, yeah, it is a bit ridiculous. It wasn't so bad a couple of years ago, but the prices now for these things? Yeah, it's bad.

That's true but if you sold your collection you will probably make a big profit now since those items would be rare now.

I'll still justify it becaus, "well, I like this", I did it for the Hot Toys Batmobile, I'll do it with their Terminators and Robocop, but it's still shocking what we throw down on these things without a seconds thought.

You buying the Robocop with the chair, now that is really expensive for a 1/6th 12 inch action figure. :horror

Oh there is no doubt that these are over priced.

But how much does one spend on your average night out raving or at the pub or whatever?

These days, I'd sooner have £100 articulated plastic than a £100 hangover.....hangovers that by the way get way worse the older you get!

Oh there is no doubt that these are over priced.

But how much does one spend on your average night out raving or at the pub or whatever?

These days, I'd sooner have £100 articulated plastic than a £100 hangover.....hangovers that by the way get way worse the older you get!

While I agree I would rather have that to, I think the problem is that these figures just keep increasing in price. Are there any Hot Toys figures now that are less than $150 like they were half a decade a go?

While I agree I would rather have that to, I think the problem is that these figures just keep increasing in price. Are there any Hot Toys figures now that are less than $150 like they were half a decade a go?

None that I can remember. Aside from a united effort and stop buying until prices come back down, I cannot see prices ever coming down as much as I would like them to.

When have prices ever come down on anything these days?
Flippen bread and milk are going up in price.

None that I can remember. Aside from a united effort and stop buying until prices come back down, I cannot see prices ever coming down as much as I would like them to.

When have prices ever come down on anything these days?
Flippen bread and milk are going up in price

That's true everything is but the prices Hot Toys ask for their figures now is like nearly double what they asked half a decade ago. Yeah I know the sculpts and PJs look better but they don't look better enough to warrant such an insane price increase! :horror It's not like they are using more expensive materials like silicon to give a more realistic skin appearance or anything.

That's true everything is but the prices Hot Toys ask for their figures now is like nearly double what they asked half a decade ago. Yeah I know the sculpts and PJs look better but they don't look better enough to warrant such an insane price increase! :horror It's not like they are using more expensive materials like silicon to give a more realistic skin appearance or anything.

Well they might be using new materials, we don't know. They are super secretive and figures have taken yet another leap in how real they look so I wouldn't be so quick draw conclusions there.

But those of us who collect Masters of the Universe Classics know well of price increases. I mean look at how much those little Marvel Universe figure sell for? That is almost double on what it was half a decade a go.

What we need is one single load voice of reason to Hot Toys, if they will even listen. This whole website seems to be the main place where Hot Toys collectors visit.

Well they might be using new materials, we don't know. They are super secretive and figures have taken yet another leap in how real they look so I wouldn't be so quick draw conclusions there.

I am pretty sure they are still PVC, maybe some more special type of PVC to enhance realism. :dunno

But those of us who collect Masters of the Universe Classics know well of price increases. I mean look at how much those little Marvel Universe figure sell for? That is almost double on what it was half a decade a go.

Yeah but do the new ones they bring out sell for that or just the rare old ones?

What we need is one single load voice of reason to Hot Toys, if they will even listen. This whole website seems to be the main place where Hot Toys collectors visit.

More like the place where all the Iron man fans gather and praise the next Iron man that gets released. :thud:

Yeah but do the new ones they bring out sell for that or just the rare old ones?

The new Marvel ones are almost double what they were 5 or six years ago. they are £19.99 here in the UK. They used to be like 11.99. Someone can correct me on that.

More like the place where all the Iron man fans gather and praise the next Iron man that gets released. :thud:

I dunno man, Batman threads seem to attract a lot of crazy from what I can see. ;)

Hold onto her man she is a keeper. :wink1:

Fair enough so I take it you are going to display each figure with all the face plates except the straw sucking one?

Nah, just gonna open 1. The others are just to have. When it comes down to items I REALLY REALLY like, i tend to have multiples.

So are you saying all comic books should be termed graphic novels then?

If the subject matter rivals the best TV shows and the art is amazing? Of course.

Well when people who don't collect this stuff and see figures with clothes on they consider them dolls (even PFs), only because it is was not common to see action figures with clothes for toys aimed at male children as those figures tend to have sculpted clothes. However, this terminology may start to change as it really is just semantics.

That's why I'd like to educate these people.

Yeah but for those who don't are they people that collect this stuff?

Nope.

So people do say that to you then? I thought you said you know many that don't see these as toys? :confused:

I don't remember saying that.

I do have a friend that used to make fun of me for collecting 1/6. Calling them dolls and such.

Nowadays? He's spending more than I am.

Back