Hot Toys Terminator 2 1:6 T-800

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But surely HT will pursue the likeness rights for Arnie and Michael Biehn. Unless one or both of those guys for some reason refuse I think we'll be satisfied with the T1 line.

They're not going to make a T2 Kyle Reese. He just appears in pretty unremarkable clothing with no gear, no battle damage and no weapons. On top of that, what's the percentage of people who have seen that scene? I mean, we've all seen it, but that version wasn't seen theatrically, isn't shown on TV airings etc. Maybe 20% of people who have seen T2 have seen the Kyle Reese scene.

Hot Toys obviously had the license for the first film but they obviously don't anymore. There's no reference to them ever doing figures from "The Terminator" on their site. It's ancient history.

There's a fact that nobody seems to recognize in this thread. I mentioned it before but nobody picked up on it:

The rights to this series are a mess. The merchandising rights to all 4 films belong to different entities and having the rights to do figures from "T2" doesn't give Hot Toys the rights to do figures from the other movies any more than it gives them the rights to do figures from "Twins" and "Kindergarten Cop".

They got the rights to do T:S figures from Halcyon but they had to get the rights to T2 from Studio Canal, and if you want them to do figures from the other two you're gonna need to hit up Orion/MGM and C2 (though Halcyon MAY have absorbed the rights to T3 from Kassar/Vajna, T3 is the one where I'm admittedly not 100% sure on who currently owns the merch rights, though it was definitely C2 when McFarlane did the figures).

If they want to do Kyle Reese they have three options:

Boring Dream Sequence Kyle Reese

Young T:S Kyle Reese

Pay MGM for a new license that allows them to make the Reese figure(s) people might actually buy

It's the same reason why there's no Terminator series box set on DVD and it's about to get even more complicated because Halcyon is looking to dump the rights.

OK but we know that. All the T1 talk is based on the fact that it was offered as an option in the recent poll on the HT website. Yeah T2 won but T1 T-800 was a clear second favourite beating out the TX from T3 and Kyle Reese from T4. The poll wasn't just done for a laugh. HT clearly had designs on putting out more figures from the Terminator films and wanted to see which was most popular. Its possible, even probable, that this T2 T-800 was already in the works and the poll vindicated their choice.
However the decent showing for the T1 T-800 may encourage HT to go the extra mile securing whatever individual rights they need to make figures from the original film...again. I voted for T1 in the poll and tried to get others to do so precisely because T2 was the 'easy option' for HT and the higher the T1 vote the more likely they'd go to the extra trouble.

You sound like you're suggesting we shouldn't talk about T1 figures because HT hasn't announced them. I don't think I need to point out how flawed that way of thinking is.

Speculation and wish listing for HT T1 figures right now is no different than wishing for T2 or updated T1 figures since Sideshow stopped their line.

It's just something people want, will it be a reality, no, but it's a film many of us love and enjoy discussing, even if it ends at fantasy, we're having a fun discussion going here without people going at each other's throats, might seem out of place at this site these days, but it's nice and I welcome it.

Hell, we've been having a fun discussion with no official specs on the figure we do know is coming :lol

They're not going to make a T2 Kyle Reese. He just appears in pretty unremarkable clothing with no gear, no battle damage and no weapons. On top of that, what's the percentage of people who have seen that scene? I mean, we've all seen it, but that version wasn't seen theatrically, isn't shown on TV airings etc. Maybe 20% of people who have seen T2 have seen the Kyle Reese scene.

Hot Toys obviously had the license for the first film but they obviously don't anymore. There's no reference to them ever doing figures from "The Terminator" on their site. It's ancient history.

There's a fact that nobody seems to recognize in this thread. I mentioned it before but nobody picked up on it:

The rights to this series are a mess. The merchandising rights to all 4 films belong to different entities and having the rights to do figures from "T2" doesn't give Hot Toys the rights to do figures from the other movies any more than it gives them the rights to do figures from "Twins" and "Kindergarten Cop".

They got the rights to do T:S figures from Halcyon but they had to get the rights to T2 from Studio Canal, and if you want them to do figures from the other two you're gonna need to hit up Orion/MGM and C2 (though Halcyon MAY have absorbed the rights to T3 from Kassar/Vajna, T3 is the one where I'm admittedly not 100% sure on who currently owns the merch rights, though it was definitely C2 when McFarlane did the figures).

If they want to do Kyle Reese they have three options:

Boring Dream Sequence Kyle Reese

Young T:S Kyle Reese

Pay MGM for a new license that allows them to make the Reese figure(s) people might actually buy

It's the same reason why there's no Terminator series box set on DVD and it's about to get even more complicated because Halcyon is looking to dump the rights.

:confused::confused::confused:

I think everybody recognized your "fact." I just don't think anybody cared. :lol

:lol No kidding. Huge post and no fact to his case. Uh there was a very recent poll with T1 as an option. :rolleyes: It WILL happen eventually.

Any Terminator fan knows that the T1 ownership is a mess but it doesn't mean they can't make some damn toys based on them. Its Hot Toys we're talking about. :D

Exactly. They obviously had the T1 license before and simply didn't have the individual actor licenses. They just need to reacquire the film license and then go one step further. The only question is 'will they'?....not if no one shows any interest in T1 figures. Hence the need for us to go on about them.

Exactly. They obviously had the T1 license before and simply didn't have the individual actor licenses. They just need to reacquire the film license and then go one step further. The only question is 'will they'?....not if no one shows any interest in T1 figures. Hence the need for us to go on about them.

If they were willing to go as far as they did aquiring Arnies likeness rights for Dutch, i'd say a T1 Arnie is a done deal.

If they do T1, I have no doubts they'll get Arnie, Biehn on the other hand, I just don't know.

If they were willing to go as far as they did aquiring Arnies likeness rights for Dutch, i'd say a T1 Arnie is a done deal.

Only problem is HT doesn't always make both heroes and villains from their chosen films so Kyle Reese wouldn't be a given even in that positive scenario. We just have to hope.

Only problem is HT doesn't always make both heroes and villains from their chosen films so Kyle Reese wouldn't be a given even in that positive scenario. We just have to hope.

Well to be honest a T1 Reese is more a hope than what I believe will be a reality. I honestly don't think HT's would bother. T1 Arnold? Absolutely. I think with paying extra for likeness rights (Dutch and T1 T-800) HT's may only give us one variation. Ones better than nothing though.

Interesting factoid - Kyle Reese was the very first MMS figure. So says the box. The last time they had the license they made Reese and in a fleetingly scene outfit at that. Could that speak to their having an interest in the character themselves? Surely if they'd had likeness rights they would have made the 1984 version instead? The future version was clearly chosen only because an 80s clothed Reese would have been a harder sell without the likeness.

Yep, MMS01.

I would assume HT's are fans of most of their licenses ...... it is kinda neat that they chose Reese as their first piece of work. I also think they must be huge Stallone fans as well. They went to town with their Rambo licenses back in the day.

Hot Toys, like Sideshow, are fans of this stuff, I think you pretty much have to be, especially to do quality work.

They do put smart business moves ahead of fandom though, they might love The Terminator, might really want to make a Biehn Reese, but if they feel it's not going to do well for them, they won't get his likeness rights.

For fans it was important to get Arnie's face for Dutch, people have been saying for years how dissappointing the first T-800 was because the face had to be blown away, they know people want it and knew it'd sell really well if they got it.

Hot Toys, like Sideshow, are fans of this stuff, I think you pretty much have to be, especially to do quality work.

They do put smart business moves ahead of fandom though, they might love The Terminator, might really want to make a Biehn Reese, but if they feel it's not going to do well for them, they won't get his likeness rights.

For fans it was important to get Arnie's face for Dutch, people have been saying for years how dissappointing the first T-800 was because the face had to be blown away, they know people want it and knew it'd sell really well if they got it.

Yep, business first, fun factor later.

Yep, business first, fun factor later.

Which as a business makes some sense, but I think it needs to be let go in some cases. Too often, it seems like characters are passed on that really would mean a lot. I'd like an Oldman Gordon, a Captain Barbossa, Kyle Reese 1984, but these seemingly important guys get passed over and in most lines, it's usually the last remaining figure to really make it feel whole, which is a large part of the sting of it, you're one or two figures away from nicely representing the film, andddd, nope, not happening.

Which as a business makes some sense, but I think it needs to be let go in some cases. Too often, it seems like characters are passed on that really would mean a lot. I'd like an Oldman Gordon, a Captain Barbossa, Kyle Reese 1984, but these seemingly important guys get passed over and in most lines, it's usually the last remaining figure to really make it feel whole, which is a large part of the sting of it, you're one or two figures away from nicely representing the film, andddd, nope, not happening.

Price is the number one factor ............... just look at Sideshows T2 line .......... you had a decent variety because they were 45 bucks a piece. It makes sense for HT's to play it safe imo, although like you i'd love to see completed sets. For instance a couple T-800's followed by a T-1000, Sarah and John would be amazing. BUT ......... nope, not happening. I don't think so anyway.

Yeah, but look at Sideshow's Indy line, they're about $100 each and you've gotten Toht, Belloq, and Indy Sr. And while we could open up debate about how these go for discount and second chances and all, the people still got something they wanted, and Sideshow's done it time and again and doesn't seem to be hurting. HT has such huge success with some figures, I just don't see why they couldn't take a gamble now and then to do something the line really could use included. Like Salvation, Reese would have been nice, and with the sales of all the T-600s, 2 Connors, Marcus, T-700 and T-700 dio, they couldn't afford to take a chance on Reese?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back