Justice League Movie (Nov 17th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoNbA3X.gif

I cannot wait to see the Flash his teaser trailer for this looked amazing. Digging the blue lighting.

Oh brother here we go (I had no idea he co-financed BvS!!! It's all starting to make sense now lol):

BY ALEX GILYADOV X-Men: The Last Stand director Brett Ratnerbelieves Rotten Tomatoes is hurting the movie industry.

While speaking at the Sun Valley Film Festival last weekend (via Entertainment Weekly), Ratner called Rotten Tomatoes the "worst thing that we have in today’s movie culture." The filmmaker thinks having an aggregate score for films has diminished film criticism.

“It’s mind-blowing. It’s just insane, it’s hurting the business, it’s getting people to not see a movie," Ratner said.

Ratner's company RatPac Entertainment co-financed Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. In Ratner's view, even though Batman v Superman went on to gross nearly $900 million at the box office, its low Rotten Tomatoes score ultimately "put a cloud over a movie that was incredibly successful.”

"I’ve seen some great movies with really abysmal Rotten Tomatoes scores," Ratner said. "What’s sad is film criticism has disappeared. It’s really sad.”

Rotten Tomatoes vice president Jeff Voris replied to Ratner's comments via a statement to EW, saying that the Tomatometer score "has become a useful decision-making tool for fans" and is a great for people to discuss and share their opinions.

Rotten tomatoes is consensus just take that with grain of salt. But again I am also annoying people keep using RT score as barometer. Nothing in this earth is absolute if it's not Physic or Mathematic.

Oh brother here we go (I had no idea he co-financed BvS!!! It's all starting to make sense now lol):

BY ALEX GILYADOV X-Men: The Last Stand director Brett Ratnerbelieves Rotten Tomatoes is hurting the movie industry.

While speaking at the Sun Valley Film Festival last weekend (via Entertainment Weekly), Ratner called Rotten Tomatoes the "worst thing that we have in today’s movie culture." The filmmaker thinks having an aggregate score for films has diminished film criticism.

“It’s mind-blowing. It’s just insane, it’s hurting the business, it’s getting people to not see a movie," Ratner said.

Ratner's company RatPac Entertainment co-financed Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. In Ratner's view, even though Batman v Superman went on to gross nearly $900 million at the box office, its low Rotten Tomatoes score ultimately "put a cloud over a movie that was incredibly successful.”

"I’ve seen some great movies with really abysmal Rotten Tomatoes scores," Ratner said. "What’s sad is film criticism has disappeared. It’s really sad.”

Rotten Tomatoes vice president Jeff Voris replied to Ratner's comments via a statement to EW, saying that the Tomatometer score "has become a useful decision-making tool for fans" and is a great for people to discuss and share their opinions.

How about, i dont know... dont make bad movies? :dunno

Idiot... yeah, lets get rid of the one tool that tells people you did a bad job.

Lets get rid of yelp too

I do think Rottentomatoes is poop.

But I also think the same thing about Ratner.

Be interesting to know how much influence RT has versus the media and social media in general. But the more avenues for sharing opinions the better.

I do agree that BvS was more successful than many seem willing to admit.

I think there were a lot of factors that contributed to BvS' rating. In some ways, I do believe there's a bit of a dogpile mentality, and I'm not blaming people for having an opinion, but, and I think affects me, as well, once it's out there, you can kind of latch onto it and take that to the bank with you, in terms of negative attitudes, and I don't think that's making an excuse for BvS, either; I just think that's human nature. It's very hard to be completely objective when you have preconceived notions about something, be they good or bad, and it often works for and against movies. It's the same reason I can go to a movie with 97%, hyped out of my mind, and walk out disappointed.

I think Nolan's movies had a lot to do with it, and we kind of got some of that in Man of Steel. Nolan did his thing, and people loved that, and I think both Snyder and WB both saw that and thought "hey, let's do that with Superman," in terms of making a sort of grounded, morally gray world, and, as we saw with MoS, people didn't really go for that. Then, BvS comes around, they show a very comic book accurate Batman, in terms of design, and they double down on pretty much everything the audience didn't respond to. Personally? I love it. I kind of view it through an elseworlds lense, but I'd almost say they're more "realistic" in a sense, than Nolan's movies, in terms of the way the world affects the heroes. Now, I'm not saying they're better, but I do think there's a lot of interesting stuff to be mined from Snyder's movies. Suffice it to say, after the three gritty TDK movies, and the lighter fare Marvel produced to mass acclaim, I think people just had different expectations for these films than what Snyder wanted to do with them.

Then, you have the final product, and it's kind of hard to defend it. I'm a huge fan of the Ultimate Cut, and I even like the Theatrical Cut, but it's sketchy as hell, and that's on both Snyder and WB. WB for being too damn greedy and shortsighted to realize that audiences wouldn't be able to tell that they were being fed the cliffnotes version of the actual film, which was compounded by the announcement of the UC before the film even hit theaters, and Snyder for not being a man and standing by his film. Anybody can look at the way that situation was handled and tell you that Snyder sacrificed his film for the sake of box office, and WB allowed him to put his stamp of disapproval on the finished product by shilling the UC while promoting the film, basically, saying "hey, this isn't my movie, but WB wasn't going to let my 3-hour, R-rated cut be the one in theaters, so, this is what you're getting, but don't worry, because the actual movie will be out on Blu-Ray soon, and we'll pretend this one never happened. Seriously! No, I'm not kidding. You know how sometimes you have to wait years to see the extended, director's cut of a movie and it's on a super super duper special edition that you have to buy for, like, fifty bucks? Well, this one will be included on every version of Batman V Superman. In fact, it'll be so ubiquitous that the movie you're about to watch will, pretty much, just be a tacked on special feature that we'll use to say 'it still matters' and so our motivations won't be totally transparent."

So, yeah, do I think RT contributed to it? Absolutely. Do I think RT was solely responsible for it? Absolutely not. Do I think Brett Ratner can **** off? Absolutely.

Critics see the movie before anyone else and have to write their own review on their magazine and paper or whatever.

Rotten tomatoes then comes and adds them up.

Theres no dogpiling before that... rotten tomatoes goes by what critics gave before anything.

Those critics reviews come first.

I do note that the SW prequels don't fare too badly in the RT audience score, so it can't be *that* bad! ROTS is about on a par with ROTJ, which concurs with my view.

Back