Justice League Movie (Nov 17th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crackle.jpg

Critics see the movie before anyone else and have to write their own review on their magazine and paper or whatever.

Rotten tomatoes then comes and adds them up.

Theres no dogpiling before that... rotten tomatoes goes by what critics gave before anything.

Those critics reviews come first.

The thing is, and I think this is the thing people in Hollywood don't like about aggregators like RT, is that they provide a broad tapestry of opinions for viewers to base their perceptions on. Back in the day, I had to read the "Ticket" in my newspaper to get just one published review, and, even with stuff like "Siskel and Ebert at the movies," it was still just two guys, and, often, it would kind of balance out with them both having conflicting opinions. With aggregators, though, and I think this is also part of the problem, for one thing, you have hundreds of voices, which, to many, provides a more concrete consensus, but I think the thing about it, too, is that, in many ways, it kind of runs counter to what film is all about. Film is art, and art is subjective and, a lot of the time, that subjectivity gets lost in RT scores. With a written or, even, televised review, there's nuance to be found. Granted, there will be scathing reviews published, but, often, even negative reviews will point to something they liked or didn't like as interesting, and that adds value, in a sense. You can see Roger Ebert say like "well, I didn't like this about that movie," and think "huh, that sounds kind of interesting." You can't really do that with an RT score. There is no middle, no information given, other than either "fresh" or "rotten," and I'm aware that RT provides reviews for context, but how many people do you think actually delve into the reviews before seeing the movie, or, simply, flick open flixster at the box office and see whether the movie they were planning to see has a red tomato or a green splat next to it?

Critics are a fickle mob. I put no stock into the lot of them, though there are a few who are genuine, knowledgeable, and free-thinking. Most are shallow and unimaginative, only searching for a tagline. The sad truth is what passes for a "critic" in this day and age is far removed from what it used to be.

These JL teasers are fantastic. The shot of Batman is just...no words.

Ratner needs to shut it. I myself think the scoring for films is a tad harsh at times but again it's what tells us how a film is and if it's worth seeing. He's the man who screwed X3 in the ass big time and could care less for his Rush Hour films. The man just needs to accept when a film is bad it's bad. Make a better one.

No, it's really not. :lol

Depends on the person at least you get a heads up and either expect it to be bad or it goes 360 and you love it. I take reviews with a grain of salt but I at least know to expect it to be good and or bad but keep my own judgment in mind.

Ratner needs to shut it. I myself think the scoring for films is a tad harsh at times but again it's what tells us how a film is and if it's worth seeing. He's the man who screwed X3 in the ass big time and could care less for his Rush Hour films. The man just needs to accept when a film is bad it's bad. Make a better one.

But they don't. Ratings don't mean anything unless you are someone that can't decide if a movie is good or bad yourself. Only what others tell you. And sometimes even ones you usually side with are wrong.

Lets take the Friday the 13th film series. Vastly popular on here and in pop culture. Are they well made? Not really to no. But they are enjoyable. Most people know who Jason Voorhees is. Most people will think of him when seeing a hockey mask. The first film is sitting at 59% and the rest 20's or below. There is no way Part 2, my personal favorite, is a 34%.

But they don't. Ratings don't mean anything unless you are someone that can't decide if a movie is good or bad yourself. Only what others tell you. And sometimes even ones you usually side with are wrong.

Lets take the Friday the 13th film series. Vastly popular on here and in pop culture. Most people know who Jason Voorhees is. Most people will think of him when seeing a hockey mask. The first film is sitting at 59% and the rest 20's or below. There is no way Part 2, my personal favorite, is a 34%.

Well of course not ratings don't mean jack unless you want them too. It's all within the beholders judgment. The point I was just making is yes ratings don't mean anything but can help decide on movies but in reality not everyone needs that you as a person chose what you like and or dislike. You make the decision from there.

This is 80% of the population, and the same mentality goes beyond movie opinions. :lol

If Ratner were discussing his own films in relation to their RT scores, your arguments would have merit, but he's not doing that. He's speaking that, by and large, there's a lack of serious film criticism out there and that the "scores" you see are not helping that to change.

I don't think anything will change or merit when it comes to film ratings and critics I think it's pointless to even complain about it. As a film maker i would think ignoring it and standing by your film is what you do. Even if it does blow or maybe it doesn't still it doesn't warrant a rant about trying to make a point and blame rotten tomatoes. Not saying rotten tomatoes is a saint place with reviews and scores that are correct but it isn't why you point fingers. If your movie sucks it sucks and the people have spoken. We each have entitlement to an opinion. He does have the right to dislike critics for being harsh but then again critics are critics and that's what being in the film industry is all about. It comes with a price. Again that's why I said take it with a grain of salt it's a hard industry and harsh one at that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Back