Keir Dullea as Red Spaceman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any actual release dates for this yet?...only been waiting 41 years!:rolleyes:

Hoping this will not end up like with the Takara Indiana Jones.

There's a big difference: there's a mountain of Indy merchandise whereas there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that this "2001" will ever see legitimate release.

If anything you should be wishing it was like the Takara Indiana Jones. At least that was within the realm of possibility.

There's a big difference: there's a mountain of Indy merchandise whereas there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that this "2001" will ever see legitimate release.

If anything you should be wishing it was like the Takara Indiana Jones. At least that was within the realm of possibility.

https://executivereplicas.net/news.htm

They have licensing from Dullea and Lockwood so it looks like something will come out. I didn't read the thread on the Jack Nicholson Shining figure, was there this much negativity? That was a figure that also involved a Kubrick film, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't licensed from Jack either. At least someone is trying to release this figure and has taken some steps to make it legitimate, at least getting the actors agreement.

So these are being done by the same company that is producing the Amok Time exclusives then? That doesn't give me much hope the suits will look anywhere near as good as the prototype they had on display.

Executive Replicas has secured licensing with Mr. Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood to produce the 12" Discovery Astronauts.
Expected production date - 4th quarter 2009.

Please note: Everyone that attended the New York Comic Con or that have seen images from that show has asked many questions regarding the origin of the space suit we had on display. The space suit that was on display was not our prototype. We were not able to get our prototypes ready for the show. The suit on display was one made in Europe and we used it to show off the Dullea head sculpt. When our prototypes are completed, new images will be available.

Notice how this thing dances around the fact that they don't have the "2001" license.

Even more telling: notice how they say that the suit on the prototype is not what their figure will have without coming out and saying that their figure will even have a space suit, let alone one accurate to "2001".

That was a figure that also involved a Kubrick film, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't licensed from Jack either.

That was made by some Chinese company with 0% legitimacy. If that doesn't bother you then great. I have one of those Anton Chigurh figures from "No Country for Old Men" on preorder. It's an amazing figure. It's not endorsed by Miramax, Javier Bardem, the Coen Brothers or Cormac McCarthy.

At least someone is trying to release this figure and has taken some steps to make it legitimate, at least getting the actors agreement.

But you can't go and get the rights to an actors likeness and automatically have the movie rights, and absolutely everything about these figures points to the fact that they don't have the "2001" license.

Chances are these figures will either have generic space suits or space suits that are evocative of "2001" while still being obviously different. Either that or they'll just ignore the fact that they don't have the rights, but again, that you can only get away with if you're making a limited run of figures in China or something.

Don't get me wrong, I think the films of Stanley Kubrick have a lot of potential for figures. Just think: Sterling Hayden in "The Killing" (this would be a viable figure post-"Dark Knight"), several characters from "Dr. Strangelove", the droogs from "A Clockwork Orange", non-Ermey characters from "Full Metal Jacket", etc. "The Shining" is obvious too, though that one has the added hurdle of the Kubrick estate and Jack Nicholson.

That said, I've accepted that it's just not happening. The Kubrick Estate does not approve stuff like this and Warner Bros. backs them every step of the way.

I would take the figures of the actors alone, if need be.

Later on they can release the suits without the "2001" tie in (call it "Martian space suits" or something) and perhaps get around the whole licensing issue.

If you happen to pop in or be lurking....

HI STEVE! :wave

It was pleasure to meet you at NYCC. GoHero rocks!

Now where's my AtoMedia body? :duh

Now where's my AtoMedia body? :duh

I was just (email) chatting with him, I think it'll be pretty soon, but lets just say those of us who have never been involved in manufacturing (and I guess that's most of us) can't begin to imagine the journey from concept to final product.
Still so eager to get my hands on Buck and Flash!

Last edited:
Interesting that they would show off a prototype, or solicit a figure with a suit that wasn't even partially completed by them. Kind of shady if you ask me. I'll still be interested to see if they will make a good looking suit, or if what is actually released will be something much less impressive.

Interesting that they would show off a prototype, or solicit a figure with a suit that wasn't even partially completed by them. Kind of shady if you ask me. I'll still be interested to see if they will make a good looking suit, or if what is actually released will be something much less impressive.

They weren't soliciting anything but it's kind of disappointing that they gave Twinch a bit of publicity. And I can't imagine that they aren't doing a spacesuit - that would be the height of folly and completely undermine their credibility with the collecting community.

The Twinch are designed for a GI Joe and early Dragon body - so they wouldn't fit a current 1/6 figure. Executive Replicas will have to redo it. Hopefully they can steal some elements of Jose's design and not compensate him for it though.

I will wait and see what comes of this sneak peek when the time comes, all these weird comments being posted by that member seem like he has some agenda to knock down this company for no apparent reason! Why would I believe anything you say dude?!

I am sure Steve is gonna take care of this figure and it will become awesome.

Back