1/6 Luke Skywalker: Red Five X-Wing Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People seem to be trying to legitimize this Luke price in various hypothetical ways, but the reality is, last year SSC released a Snowtrooper for nearly ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS less.
:exactly:
That's the only point worth repeating and repeating. Regardless of the quality etc. The percentage increase is surreal.

It seems that people also continue to point out factors that are entirely optional to discredit those over which the companies have no control. Inflation has been kept low because interest rates have been held down. That's over (and it was never genuine; expect it to get worse as the correction can only be tempered so much). Chinese manufacturing costs are another absolute, as are Disney licensing fees (renegotiated two years ago, yes; that doesn't mean it took immediate effect).

You don't buy it? Ok. :dunno

has anyone actually ordered one?

Negative.

I'm waiting for in-hand reviews but honestly if it comes out looking as good as the pictures are showing I'll probably consider it. I'll use a coupon for sure though.

It has to factor into the equation, though some companies might be absorbing the losses to retain their price point.

China Wages Seen Jumping in 2014 Amid Shift to Services - Bloomberg

Production returning to UK as cost advantage in China diminishes | Business | The Guardian

The problem with that article is that it just further makes Sideshow's pricing seem ridiculous. I don't think a factory workers hourly pay going from $1.10 to $1.25 is the issue.
Now there may be a trickle effect, but still, there's more at work than 10 or 15 CENT hourly wage increases.

The problem with that article is that it just further makes Sideshow's pricing seem ridiculous. I don't think a factory workers hourly pay going from $1.10 to $1.25 is the issue.
Now there may be a trickle effect, but still, there's more at work than 10 or 15 CENT hourly wage increases.

It's never going to be the whole issue, not when dealing with licensed properties and 'collector mentality', i.e. the 'desirability' of certain characters that I mentioned earlier as a co-factor.

From reading so many posts recently with reference to pricing, it looks like Sideshow/Hot Toys need to start absorbing the increases and downgrading the assumed 'desirability'.

It's never going to be the whole issue, not when dealing with licensed properties and 'collector mentality', i.e. the 'desirability' of certain characters that I mentioned earlier as a co-factor.

From reading so many posts recently with reference to pricing, it looks like Sideshow/Hot Toys need to start absorbing the increases and downgrading the assumed 'desirability'.

There's the thing, ordering an ex from Sideshow gets you some extra trinkets, but I see posts from people regularly buying standard edition items from SSC. Guess they figure if they have a captive audience of sheep, may as welol shear for all they're worth. :lol

That's the problem with this pricing debate. There are about 5 factors that could very much be the reason why a figure goes up in price at any given time. We could all be right or wrong at any given point or at the same time on some of the following because we just don't know:

1. Greed and/or pushing the limit of profit to just below the breaking point

2. Inflation and wage increases in China

3. Subsidizing of some figures by raising the price of other figures

4. Collusion to match prices with Hot Toys on a shared license to give price uniformity to the "entire 1/6 SW line"

5. Operating costs increases and increase in the price of keeping the license on a new contract

Spent over an hour catching up on the thread, pretty entertaining. :lolBtw, could someone tell me what these $20 - 25 codes are about ? I've never heard of them, but I'd love to use them on the Hoth set.

2 months after something goes up for pre-order, it becomes coupon eligible. SSC generally announces a new $20 off coupon each month, so as long as you're patient you should be able to knock off a bit from the top. Also assuming it's not one of the few things that sells out quick (e.g., Marty McFly exclusive).

2 months after something goes up for pre-order, it becomes coupon eligible. SSC generally announces a new $20 off coupon each month, so as long as you're patient you should be able to knock off a bit from the top. Also assuming it's not one of the few things that sells out quick (e.g., Marty McFly exclusive).

Star Wars items generally take 3 months or longer - I only know this from trying repeatedly every month.

Re: Luke Skywalker: Red Five X-Wing Pilot Sixth Scale Figurebbb

Check this thread out. Someone posts the $20 coupon every month, just check the first post.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...rent-discount-codes-ssc-random-rumblings.html

Great. Thanks for the heads up guys. :wave

I never got a chance with R2. I feel the bump in price is to make up for how we all use these coupons now.

Back