Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why I kinda wish they'd stuck with Superman Returns and given it a sequel. You've already established the awe of Superman and seen him deal with smaller threats. Now move onto super-battles.

and we'd still have the Williams theme

That kid thing was crap though. It had to be rebooted after that. Nobody wants to see Superman with a Super Kid.

That and all the blatant Christ imagery. While the MoS images weren't exactly subtle (that stain glass shot with Jesus blurred right next to Clark's head was obnoxious) atleast it did't shove it in the audiences face in every scene. Well, eh there was the 33 thing too.

Jesus is great, I get the idea of Jor-El sending off his only son, but c'mon. The character is more an allegory for Moses (rocket ship equals wicker basket) than anything else. Returns seemed like Saint/angel man, getting stabbed in his side, rising on the third day, etc not Superman.

Superman should battle immigration next

50230.jpg

You didn't bring up the razing of Metropolis. You said you thought the message of the film was "punch space terrorists." Given that I just wondered what kind of superhero movie you WOULD like if punching is off limits.

I hear you. I just don't think the "message" of the movie is to blame for your feelings. Sounds more like you viewed MoS like Spielberg's recent War of the Worlds. Sure it had a "happy" ending but the destruction and global turmoil was so great that it wasn't exactly an upbeat film.

The message was that violence is the ONLY answer. Violence in superhero movies is expected, and fine with me, as long as it is a final resort and regular people being are shown being saved in the mean time. Lois Lane and two soldiers don't cut it for me when the city is literally in ashes around them. At least a denouement with Supes pulling victims from the rubble, or a scene of him evacuating the city would have added immeasurable depth to the film.

That kind of touch might have helped a little, but at that point there was so much about the movie that felt artificial and disjointed that I don't think it would have mattered.

So wait, the ship that was sent to Earth was sent 18,000 years ago, and it had a suit custom made for Kal-El in it? And Jor-El knew about it, (and presumably was involved in having it made for Kal-El) even though it was more than 17,000 years prior to Jor-El even being born? (if we assume Jor-El is 1000 years old)

So wait, the ship that was sent to Earth was sent 18,000 years ago, and it had a suit custom made for Kal-El in it? And Jor-El knew about it, (and presumably was involved in having it made for Kal-El) even though it was more than 17,000 years prior to Jor-El even being born? (if we assume Jor-El is 1000 years old)

Well kryptonians sent scouting ships to look for habitable worlds, that's how Jor-El knew about earth, and it most likely was a ship of the house of El, sent thousands of years before Jor-El was born, so we can assume that the suit was just a random suit for a member of the house of El, in this case, Clark.

No, Each Kryptonian has a command Key that works on any computer and uploads their own pesonalised data and settings. Jor Els key was provided with Kal El and when he used it on that old ship it created a suit for Kal El with the family crest on it.

The message was that violence is the ONLY answer. Violence in superhero movies is expected, and fine with me, as long as it is a final resort and regular people being are shown being saved in the mean time. Lois Lane and two soldiers don't cut it for me when the city is literally in ashes around them. At least a denouement with Supes pulling victims from the rubble, or a scene of him evacuating the city would have added immeasurable depth to the film.

Violence was a last resort. Supes didn't go on the offensive the moment Zod arrived. He gave himself up. That approach obviously didn't work.

However I do agree with you that the movie would have been better showing Superman saving random people throughout his fight with Zod. It would have been a great contrast showing the "disadvantage" of a hero keeping one eye on the civilians against a no holds barred enemy. And really, when else will Supes be at a disadvantage than when fighting other Kryptonians?

It would have been cool with all those skyscrapers collapsing for him to have had to disengage and zoom over to catch one and set it down gently (maybe shooting eye lasers at Zod while his hands were full) and then immediately chasing Zod down to duke it out again to prevent further destruction.

The Raimi Spider-Man films did a great job at showcasing "heroic multitasking" like during the Doc Ock elevated train sequence where Spidey was simultaneously fighting Ock while providing webs for the people being thrown out of the train.

In MoS Superman is more like Godzilla in those old "Versus Monster So and So" movies where Godzilla is "technically" saving the world from some alien menace but trashing Tokyo at the same time. Did the people really consider him their savior? Well maybe the people of California did but the people of Tokyo were pissed! :lol

Have people already forgotten than Goyer was a contributing writer on Action Comics #900? You know, the infamous issue where Superman renounces his American citizenship?

We have this prole on the creative frontlines of the DC movie universe and people want to debate about stuff like muted color pallets and too much destruction in MOS? Oy.

How was he even a citizen in the first place?

Clark sure, but Superman :cuckoo:

What the hell does he fill out on government forms?

Superman is Clark. Clark is Superman. And from almost the beginning he was meant to stand for "Truth, Justice and the American way." Of course, that has since been completely diluted... culminating in that embarrassing bit of PC pablum in Action #900.

But Superman doesn't pay taxes or do Jury duty, Clark as the citizen does that but Superman is above citizenship as he's a persona.

Did they give him citizenship in the comics years ago? Like in a key to the city or "you may no be born here but we value you as one of us" ceremony that gave him citizenship status. Because that's the only way taking it away in AC 900 would make sense or mean anything.

Back