Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Nolan films have their fair share of hokey and cheesy moments. Aspects that make you scratch your head and sort of think that the ultra realistic take on Batman he was trying to achieve wasn't so realistic after all. I enjoy the movies and think they're a novel take on the Batman story, but I also don't think they're the be-all and end-all of Batman either. In a lot of ways, I prefer the Burton movies over the Nolan ones, but I can still enjoy both franchises separately.

This new Superman is similar. I enjoy Man of Steel. I think it has a strong emotional core that's built up pretty well during the first half of the movie. Some stuff like the machine made of buckyballs and the death of Jon Kent were a little odd for me, but overall it was great. It also doesn't take away from the Reeve movies. Those are great in the own merit as well.

Superman didn't save everyone, gets a ****storm from audiences

Batman didn't save people, people don't give a :censored

Superman caused more damage than he prevented, and if he hadn't come in the first place Metropolis wouldn't have had anything to be saved from.

Batman is only human and just couldn't save everyone.

But I never put TDKR in the same league as GREEN LANTERN. And I'd throw this gauntlet dawn: MOS is absolutely truer and more respectful to the characters and source material than TDKR.

Y'know, I've actually watched TDKR a few times too many. When I saw it in the theatres I was raving about it in the TDKR thread. I liked the idea of Gotham undergoing a Red Dawn type scenario.

Although I still like it, it doesn't hold up to subsequent viewings as well.

JGL is horrid, the whole seeing Batman in the eyes, wtf? Its like Nolan rolled a fat one and told them to ad lib.

All the cops being trapped underground and cared for, the contrived prison (and that was something that I actually thought was great the first time I saw it), the entirety of Talia is almost a SNL skit on subsequent views, the shoehorned in romances with the happy ending from Hell. :lol

Superman caused more damage than he prevented, and if he hadn't come in the first place Metropolis wouldn't have had anything to be saved from.

Batman is only human and just couldn't save everyone.

Superman didn't come to Earth, he was sent as a Baby, had no control over that. Jor El is to blame

Jokers whole mission in life was to kill people and transform an innocent man into a monster..... Because of his issues with Batman. No Batman = no Joker.

Last edited:
I always thought TDKR was a terrible sequel, and even worse comic book adaptation, that shat all over the previous two films and material...

But as a standalone, Elseworlds movie, it's pretty entertaining, with some engaging moments. I actually rewatched it after MOS, and feel like they both compensate for the other film's flaws.

Zod had great motivation and was played well vs Bane being a cartoonish buffoon.
Faora wipes the floor with Hathaway's shoehorned Catwoman.
TDKR's twists for the sake of twists vs MOS being fairy faithful to the material.

But then, you have TDKR's crisp, beautiful cinematography vs Michael J. Fox with a Handycam. Clear, fairly grounded stunts vs. video game-style sensory overload.

At the end of the day, I still felt more of an emotional connection to the characters in TDKR than I did with MOS, though it's forced in both movies.

Batman = Quitter
Superman = Killer

So what will Wonder Woman have now? A jet that glows in the dark?

:lol

Superman killing Zod to save that family is absolutely more believable and forgivable to me than Batman quitting for 8 years during his prime because his ugly BFF got killed.

:lol on WW's glow in the dark jet.

Last edited:
Batman = Quitter
Superman = Killer

So what will Wonder Woman have now? A jet that glows in the dark?

:lol

A jet that exhausts radiation that turns people into these

Mutated_Fry.jpg

Superman didn't come to Earth, he was sent as a Baby, had no control over that. Jor El is to blame

Jokers whole mission in life was to kill people and transform an innocent man into a monster..... Because of his issues with Batman. No Batman = no Joker.

It still doesn't change the fact that the whole point to Superman is that he is supposed to be a symbol for light and hope. This movie had niether. Do you really think people will be inspired and hopeful after what happened in Metropolis? I guarantee you that no Daily Planet headlines the next day are going to read "SUPERMAN SAVES CITY". Instead the country will be in a severe state of mourning as they constantly worry about where Superman will choose to have his next grudge match.

But I never put TDKR in the same league as GREEN LANTERN. And I'd throw this gauntlet dawn: MOS is absolutely truer and more respectful to the characters and source material than TDKR.

I actually enjoy Green Lantern more than TDKR. :lol

Superman killing Zod to save that family is absolutely more believable and forgivable to me than Batman quitting for 8 years during his prime because his ugly BFF got killed.

:lol on WW's glow in the dark jet.

That's how I feel.

-----------------------------

I will say I think TDK is an awesome movie. Somehow, I think someone earlier took that I was saying it wasn't. I really like TDK I just think MoS is a better film. :)

It still doesn't change the fact that the whole point to Superman is that he is supposed to be a symbol for light and hope. This movie had niether. Do you really think people will be inspired and hopeful after what happened in Metropolis? I guarantee you that no Daily Planet headlines the next day are going to read "SUPERMAN SAVES CITY". Instead the country will be in a severe state of mourning as they constantly worry about where Superman will choose to have his next grudge match.

That about sums it up.

The convoluted Codex origin and Supes' triggering of the Fortress ship make him and Jor El just as responsible for the carnage as anyone else. Clark's ignorance makes him just as culpable as the heroes in any EVIL DEAD or MUMMY movie who accidentally unearth a terrible evil.

Jor El is to blame for sending off Kal El to Earth, with Zod in the room. Not like he was safely locked away in the Phantom Zone at that point. As far as Russell knew, Zod could easily keep his word and go after baby Kal. If Jor El had never sent Kal with the Codex to Earth in the first place, the planet wouldn't NEED saving!

Back