Medicom Indy and Dr. Jones - the polite thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...To me, the norm of 1/6 companies (DID, Dragon, HT, Sideshow and others) follows pretty close that a 6' character is translated into a 12" figure. With both Medicom and DCD that is not what you typically get...

I think that is the problem right there... who is to say, that these companies are making a 6' character? I hate to say this, because people might jump on it and twist it, but, the 12 inch body has become a "defacto" standard because G.I. Joe and other very early figures, all came out at 12", and most companies followed. That doesn't mean they are correct or to scale, or that their figures are all supposed to be 6' tall. Maybe, it is all these other companies who are "too tall"??? :peace

Last edited:
Lonnie I think a part of it too is that a lot of people feel that their money is better spent when they receive MORE, or in this case taller figures. This can also be directly related to the whole plastic fett ordeal. A lot of people were judging the quality and investment on how heavy a statue is supposed to be, etc.

The fact can not be argued, majority of figures created do not have exact 6 feet tall counter parts. so how is 12" the TRUE scale?

I don't think it so much matters who made the first body... I don't think the term 1/6 was picked up until later. But if a product is labeled as 1/6 (which both Medicom and DCD are) then its should be at least a close approximation of that size.

When you have an actor and you can say that they are 5'6" tall then the corresponding figure should then be around 11" tall. And on the other hand Darth Vader is somewhere (depending on the source) in the neigborhood of 6'6" tall... so a figure of him should be around 13".

Maybe, it is all these other companies who are "too tall"??? :peace

It's nice to have a collection that all basically fit in with each other. A certain continuity.

From a customizers standpoint it's good that everyone is basically in the same scale... everyone except Medicom.

Regardless of too tall, too short, Medicom and DCD are without doubt the odd balls.

...When you have an actor and you can say that they are 5'6" tall then the corresponding figure should then be around 11" tall. And on the other hand Darth Vader is somewhere (depending on the source) in the neigborhood of 6'6" tall... so a figure of him should be around 13".

Here are a few examples of actors I don't think were accurately scaled either, by Sideshow or Hot Toys... there are always going to be a few exceptions for every company...

Gillian Anderson - 5' 3" = 10.5" (1/6th)
Al Pacino- 5' 5" = 10.83" (1/6th)
Sean Connery 6' 3" = 12.5" (1/6th)
Johnny Depp 5' 10" = 11.67" (1/6th)

It's nice to have a collection that all basically fit in with each other. A certain continuity.

From a customizers standpoint it's good that everyone is basically in the same scale... everyone except Medicom.

Regardless of too tall, too short, Medicom and DCD are without doubt the odd balls.

But if you are truly concerned with height, then wouldn't having different "average" body heights be a boon? You could customize a figure to be more "accurate" to their actual height.

But if you are truly concerned with height, then wouldn't having different "average" body heights be a boon? You could customize a figure to be more "accurate" to their actual height.

There are 2 viewpoints.

1) That the figures all be exact 1/6 height to their respective source material.

2) The figures in a collection all look in scale with each other.

I would love #1 but it's unrealistic, especially among different companies. You'd have to customize everyone. And yes having a shorter thinner body out there is a nice option but I have yet to have a desire or use for a Medicom body as a base for a custom, maybe one day.

#2 is true for almost all companies and figures except DCD and Medicom.

Personally I'm more concerned with #2 than #1.

With Indy I could never get just Henry as I'd want to put him with the Kenner, McCoy and SS Indy and it would look odd. I've thought about getting just Indy to have an evolution of Indy type display, but the height is really the only thing stopping me.

And I'm not knocking Medicom, just stating my preference. I just put my Evangelion and Death Note figures on a different shelf. Ryuk is hanging out with Rei and Asuka, a babe on each arm. :D

There are 2 viewpoints.

1) That the figures all be exact 1/6 height to their respective source material.

2) The figures in a collection all look in scale with each other.

I would love #1 but it's unrealistic, especially among different companies. You'd have to customize everyone. And yes having a shorter thinner body out there is a nice option but I have yet to have a desire or use for a Medicom body as a base for a custom, maybe one day.

#2 is true for almost all companies and figures except DCD and Medicom.

Personally I'm more concerned with #2 than #1.

With Indy I could never get just Henry as I'd want to put him with the Kenner, McCoy and SS Indy and it would look odd. I've thought about getting just Indy to have an evolution of Indy type display, but the height is really the only thing stopping me.

And I'm not knocking Medicom, just stating my preference. I just put my Evangelion and Death Note figures on a different shelf. Ryuk is hanging out with Rei and Asuka, a babe on each arm. :D

I can totally accept your premise, and actually, I believe that was my original assertion... that it wasn't that the Medicom was too small, but that it just didn't fit with the rest of the collection.

As for the Medi Indy, as someone pointed out (I think it was Nash), he is listed as 304.8mm, which is exactly 12", so he should fit just fine... and maybe, that is an indication that Medicom is adjusting the height of some of their figures.

...and, Ryuk is one lucky Death God!!! :D

I think Entropy put it best... its not about perfect scale since no company does that. But more about being close enough that it makes sense.

But it does seem like Medicom is moving closer towards a larger scale (closer to the norm) so thats a good thing for all collectors IMO.

As for the Medi Indy, as someone pointed out (I think it was Nash), he is listed as 304.8mm, which is exactly 12", so he should fit just fine... and maybe, that is an indication that Medicom is adjusting the height of some of their figures.

...and, Ryuk is one lucky Death God!!! :D

Dammit, I might actually get the Medi Indy now. I was even thinking about getting a Hasbro 12" Indy, just to have all the 12" Indys represented. (No that Gi Joe Indy thing doesn't count in my book)

And yes Ryuk looks quite happy on my shelf (thanks YoNoSe) though I think he's more into his apple than the hotties. :monkey5

Actually, my biggest beef with Medicom's 12" figures are that they often come across too "toyish" for my taste (at that pricepoint). Things like the blaster that comes with the Clones and Indy's hat really hack me off, much moreso than their comparitively undersized scale.

Dammit, I might actually get the Medi Indy now. I was even thinking about getting a Hasbro 12" Indy, just to have all the 12" Indys represented. (No that Gi Joe Indy thing doesn't count in my book)

And yes Ryuk looks quite happy on my shelf (thanks YoNoSe) though I think he's more into his apple than the hotties. :monkey5

Ryuk would find these arguments hilarious. As do I...:D

(And you're welcome, of course!)

"Humans are a riot!"

Actually, my biggest beef with Medicom's 12" figures are that they often come across too "toyish" for my taste (at that pricepoint). Things like the blaster that comes with the Clones and Indy's hat really hack me off, much moreso than their comparitively undersized scale.

Yeah, I'm not too happy with Indy's hat either but I still like the figure and IN MY OPINION that one photo of Medi-Indy w/o hat and holding his gun really takes the cake in the Ford-likeness department and that's what sold me on it. I actually think Jones Sr. looks MUCH MORE toyish than Indy himself.

And besides that "toyish" style is getting me a Medicom DBZ Goku! :rock :rock :rock

Totally off topic, that Goku is pure anime insanity and I can't think about it too often because it makes it difficult to concentrate when I know that thing is soon going to be on my shelf.

ON topic, I totally agree about Jones Sr. The likeness is great but the paint on the beard looks a bit cheesey, in my humbledore opinion.

Yeah, I'm not too happy with Indy's hat either but I still like the figure and IN MY OPINION that one photo of Medi-Indy w/o hat and holding his gun really takes the cake in the Ford-likeness department and that's what sold me on it. I actually think Jones Sr. looks MUCH MORE toyish than Indy himself.

And besides that "toyish" style is getting me a Medicom DBZ Goku! :rock :rock :rock

I agree, looks more like HF to me than SS's, but SS has the better looking figure overall.

I agree, looks more like HF to me than SS's, but SS has the better looking figure overall.

I really like it too. It's slightly idealized which makes it more heroic.

By this time next year I may have three very expensive Indy figures.

Like I said before, it's not the height that really is the issue to me... it's the body scale. They are much to thin and tiny. I understand that Japanese people are thinner than Americans, but that doesn't matter IMO. Indy is American, and Indy was an average sized man, not very thin, kinda muscular. And with that body, it's just a drastic change in my eyes.

Now, if you took that head and gear and put it on a slightly thicker body, I would understand.

If I had an entire collection of Medi figures, it wouldn't be a problem. But with my mixed collection of HT and SSC figures, he would look pretty odd.

Corner Store Comics has Indy and Henry up for $134.99 each.

I cancelled my SSC order but I think I'll sell some things before I order them from CSC.

Back