Medicom Indy and Dr. Jones - the polite thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They could always change the scene with the guy who is twirling the sword so that he pulls a gun and fires before Indy shoots him.

Seriously though, I can't imagine why they would change anything. Isn't the reason Lucas made the changes to Star Wars because there wasn't the technology to do what he wanted back then?

Not to stir the debate, but I would like to put forth the following...

Average male height in the US - 5' 10" = 11.67" (1/6th scale)
Average male height in Japan - 5' 8" = 11.33" (1/6th scale)

Medicom RAH - 300mm = 11.81" = 5' 11" (full scale)
Sideshow Buck - 12" = 6' (full scale)
Difference between Buck and RAH - .19" (roughly the distance of three dots on screen, like so ... )

So, is Medicom too short? No, their average body is slightly above average US male height and tall for Japanese male height.

Is Sideshow too tall? No, their average body is slightly above average US male height and tall for Japanese male height.

So the only REAL question here, is that Medicom RAH's (made for the Japanese market and reflecting Japanese heights) don't fit with your Sideshow Bucks (made for the US market and fitting US heights). They were never meant too, but that doesn't make Medicom's "too short"!

Now, play nice while you discuss...

Interesting info Lonnie. I never thought of it that way, but it does rather make sense. So what's DC's excuse. j/k

Difference between Buck and RAH - .19" (roughly the distance of three dots on screen, like so ... )

So, is Medicom too short? No, their average body is slightly above average US male height and tall for Japanese male height.

Is Sideshow too tall? No, their average body is slightly above average US male height and tall for Japanese male height.

So the only REAL question here, is that Medicom RAH's (made for the Japanese market and reflecting Japanese heights) don't fit with your Sideshow Bucks (made for the US market and fitting US heights). They were never meant too, but that doesn't make Medicom's "too short"!

It's what i've always said and known.Heres another interesting factoid!

SS states the height at (304.8mm) which is over the usual 300mm(11.8)so INDY and CO. would be right at 12inches.
Not that anyone should give a ^^^^ about .02 inches anyway.

It's not just SS, it's everyone else too, Dragon, BBi, Hot Toys, etc. It's more of a compatibility issue rather than an accurate 1/6 height issue.

So Hot Toys is out of Hong Kong. Are people taller there?

It's not just SS, it's everyone else too, Dragon, BBi, Hot Toys, etc. It's more of a compatibility issue rather than an accurate 1/6 height issue.

On the Hot Toys official site, many of their 1/6th human figures are listed at 30cm... which is exactly the same as Medicom's 300mm! Many are also listed as 12-inch...

Is Sideshow too tall? No, their average body is slightly above average US male height and tall for Japanese male height.Thanks for putting it out their though lonnie,but I'm sure the SS nutballs will still make fun the scale.

I've always been aware of this.If you look at the scale and build of Medicom bodies,you can see that their modeled after the Japanese themselves.Medicom may also choose the smaller scale so that their figures are distinguishable form the rest in the market.Thanks for putting it out there Lonnie,though I'm sure the SS nutballs will still make fun of the scale anyway.I personally don't like the big bulky SS bodies.

I agree. It's not so much that "They are tiny, and so I do not like them", as much as it is that they don't fit into scale with ANY other figure company out there. HT, Dragon, DID, Sideshow, Ignite, whatever... they all can stand side by side and not one of them will look out of scale.

Medicom has gotten it right with a few figures, the Troopers, Fetts, Comic characters and Wolvie/Maul as they were shorter characters to begin with...

But anytime they have a normal height character that is not in robes or armor, they tend to look much thinner than the other companies figures. And it is in these differences that the scale becomes an issue.

And hey, I can pick on SSC too, they sometimes give a character an oversized head... so they mess up a bit too. :D

Scale is scale. And Sideshow, Hot Toys, Dragon, BBi, Takara, Ignite, et al. make figures in true 1:6 scale (both the character's themselves as well as between characters and other lines). Medicom does NOT. They make a standard 12" figure with extenders and other customizations, and rarely are their figures in true 1:6 scale, which like it or not is a legitimate issue for many collectors (especially at these prices). That's always been one of my biggest frustrations in collecting Medi figures.

I agree with Irish, 1/6 scale means that the figure is a 1/6 representation of a character. If I'm 6' tall, a 1/6 figure should be 1' tall. Doesn't matter where the figure is made, scale does not change. So the argument that because people are on average shorter really doesn't hold up.

And in reality some Medicom figures are accurate 1/6... just look at Ghost Rider.

:lol:lol:lol:lol@ This old tired issue.Keep crying about .02 inches people..It's so 2005.

I'm so glad i don't care that much about scale.And if you do,don't like don't buy right?Problem solved.

For all the people that are not getting medi indy this thread sure is on top a lot.:rotfl

Scale is scale. And Sideshow, Hot Toys, Dragon, BBi, Takara, Ignite, et al. make figures in true 1:6 scale (both the character's themselves as well as between characters and other lines). Medicom does NOT. They make a standard 12" figure with extenders and other customizations, and rarely are their figures in true 1:6 scale, which like it or not is a legitimate issue for many collectors (especially at these prices). That's always been one of my biggest frustrations in collecting Medi figures.

Carl, I can't understand your arguments here... all the companies are "in scale" but that is only determined by what you are "scaling" down. If the "average" male is less than 6' in almost every country in the world, how can Medicom be "not in scale"??? It just doesn't hold up. As I stated, if you want to say that it doesn't fit with offerings by other companies, then I will agree, but you can't state it is "not in scale" or "too small", when the facts tell you otherwise.

IMO there is no definitive true 1/6 scale unless the company meticulously measures each figure down to the cm or mm level. when a figure is 12" tall and the actor is not 6 feet in height,how can that be called true 1/6 scale? Yes sideshow has different sizes of bodies with the buck, but that doesnt mean they are scaled down properly.

When Sideshow has to make a figure of someone who is 5'11 they are just going to put it on the 12" body which is not 1/6 scale. close enough? sure.

Another thing that may be plausible. Japan is a very independent and prideful nation. I would think that they hate to follow in the shadow of another company. That's why imo ive always said that medicom does their own thing and most of the time people in the US don't agree with it. But who cares what we in the US think, we're not their primary market.

I agree with Irish, 1/6 scale means that the figure is a 1/6 representation of a character. If I'm 6' tall, a 1/6 figure should be 1' tall. Doesn't matter where the figure is made, scale does not change. So the argument that because people are on average shorter really doesn't hold up...

Well, if you are scaling a 6' tall person, then yes, 1/6th scale would be 12" tall, but you do have to take the average into consideration, since most people aren't 6' tall. Since most companies don't make figures that are scaled "exactly" to match an actor, they have an "average" body height just as there is an "average" in the world.

EDIT: I just said the same thing Nash did for the most part...

Right, I understand if you are talking about a standard body... and if most of your figures are for people who are an average of 5'9" I'd expect the base body to be smaller. But if you are making a 1/6 figure of a character that is 6'6" having him be 12" tall isn't going to work.

And Nash, you're totally right about companies not being exact... the difference of 5'11" and 6' will just be fudged, but there is a difference between close to 1/6 and being out of scale. Also, your pride argument does make sense... but still 1/6 is 1/6, its odd to call them a scale that they are not.

Right, I understand if you are talking about a standard body... and if most of your figures are for people who are an average of 5'9" I'd expect the base body to be smaller. But if you are making a 1/6 figure of a character that is 6'6" having him be 12" tall isn't going to work...

Even Sideshow had some figures that didn't measure up as they should, evening use the "big boy" body. And a character that large is the exception, not the norm.

Medicom now has a much taller body developed for some of their anime figures (and why they were able to put out a Baoh figure now) but it is too tall and skinny for representations of most "normal" characters...

I don't give ^^^^ about the scale as long as it looks good.If it's a great figure then it will be bought.The majority of my figure's are Medicom to begin with,so I don't really have a problem with the scale.I mean you guys say that Medi figures are not in scale with your SS figure line.But what about the Medicom figure line?Their are more great figures you can put together inside of the Medi line.Medicom and SS figures are both so different,I don't know why you would even want to put them together in the first place.If your one Medicom figure needs some company,then buy him a Medi buddy to hang out with,hell buy 2 or 3 of them,the whole damn line even,their all great figures.:D

Medicom's height doesn't really bother me, I have my Medi Jack Sparrow next to Luke Skywalker and they look fine together. I know Luke is on the short Buck body, but I don't think Jack would look bad with the regular Buck. The only scale issues I have is DC's 13" body (which is okay, I understand the reasoning behind it and it hasn't stopped me from buying what I want, but I wish they mixed in better) and the drastic differences in the HT POTC line.

Even Sideshow had some figures that didn't measure up as they should, evening use the "big boy" body. And a character that large is the exception, not the norm.

Medicom now has a much taller body developed for some of their anime figures (and why they were able to put out a Baoh figure now) but it is too tall and skinny for representations of most "normal" characters...

Thats true, but even if not exactly right they have a "close enough" look to them and work with other figures and companies that produce 1/6 figures. But companies like DCD and Medicom produce figures that are listed as 1/6 but are too big or too small to work. It does seem like Medicom is working on this though... especially with the clone troopers which look to be more of a true 1/6 figure.

To me, the norm of 1/6 companies (DID, Dragon, HT, Sideshow and others) follows pretty close that a 6' character is translated into a 12" figure. With both Medicom and DCD that is not what you typically get. And where that becomes an issue is if you are like me and have a lot of 1/6 figures having some that are too tall or too short means its more of a pain to get them to look right in a display.

Back