Action Figure Mezco One:12 Collective - (1:12 scale) DC Comics Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I’m not saying it’s the best Superman. I’m saying it’s the best Mezco could do. It’s pretty rare in this hobby, but Mezco actually produced a production piece that turned out better than the prototype. It’s the closest to classic as they could get.

I actually don’t think they can make a Classic Superman. I don’t think no company can outside of DCC. I think that’s why Neca is getting push back on their Batman vs Predator figure and why Mez hasn’t released any companion figs for their DKRs figures. Maybe that’s why it took years for this to come out because they had to get approval To release because it was so close to being classic.

I don’t have ANY proof of these theories just conjecture and anecdotal evidence.

That's actually a really good point. Especially when you consider that Red Son Superman is what this one pretty much should have been. It is odd how the comic NECA Batman and Superman got pushed back to next year. They were supposed to be out last month.

I have thought about that. That we blame these toy companies for decisions that may be out of their hands.

I think it’s the same with Marvel. Only Hasbro can do the Classic looks. No other action figure maker can touch the vault stuff. The manufacturers, like you mentioned, probably can’t disclose this clause in their license but it’s the only thing that explains why companies like SSCs and Tweeterhead can do classic statues but SSCs got stopped in their tracks with the classic 1:6 stuff. Anecdotal Evidence: they produced Batman, Joker, Superman, Catwoman and Harlequin (to a lesser degree) all in their Classic looks. Then all of a sudden, here comes the weird Green Lantern (after a year or two hiatus), they completely cancel the classic Flash and then go right to LoBo :huh :ohbfrank:

And when you ask Kevin Ellis about this, who is generally up front and very forthcoming, he kinda dances around the issue talking about how they want to put their touch on the classic looks...then you spin around to their premium format figures/ statues and all that sh|_|t is either movie based or straight up classic stuff...wth

Story just doesn’t jive...

Again, just my opinion based on observations from going to SDCC over the years and the conversations I’ve had with these guys and panels about licensing I’ve attended at SDCC. I have Absolutely NO inside information or contacts validating my hypothesis.

I think it’s the same with Marvel. Only Hasbro can do the Classic looks. No other action figure maker can touch the vault stuff. The manufacturers, like you mentioned, probably can’t disclose this clause in their license but it’s the only thing that explains why companies like SSCs and Tweeterhead can do classic statues but SSCs got stopped in their tracks with the classic 1:6 stuff. Anecdotal Evidence: they produced Batman, Joker, Superman, Catwoman and Harlequin (to a lesser degree) all in their Classic looks. Then all of a sudden, here comes the weird Green Lantern (after a year or two hiatus), they completely cancel the classic Flash and then go right to LoBo :huh :ohbfrank:

And when you ask Kevin Ellis about this, who is generally up front and very forthcoming, he kinda dances around the issue talking about how they want to put their touch on the classic looks...then you spin around to their premium format figures/ statues and all that sh|_|t is either movie based or straight up classic stuff...wth

Story just doesn’t jive...

Again, just my opinion based on observations from going to SDCC over the years and the conversations I’ve had with these guys and panels about licensing I’ve attended at SDCC. I have Absolutely NO inside information or contacts validating my hypothesis.

I think this could explain everything. All the baffling stylizing decisions.

But not why is Superman shorter than Captain Marvel? That **** was not dictated by DC....

Yep, and if they were to disclose the fact that they can't do them, Marvel/DC would be the bad guys.

This in fact makes the whole damn thing a joke. Either give the license or don't, in that case. IF Mezco had done straight up interpretations from the get go, ala TDKR, there would be ZERO complaints. Instead we get wound up and annoyed over whether or not we can justify big cash for these tweaked/outright redesigned iterations. It's really a *****show for someone like me. I'd LOVE a real GA, or Barry Flash, or honest to goodness classic Superman. But I will not part ways with any $ for something I can't justify.

Oh we're not justifying, we're just trying to make some sense of their design choices.

I really want that Tony Mei Superman, but I'm not spending a single peso on that Mezco Superman.

When Red Son and TDKR Supes drop, if they are good, I'll buy the whole thing, stock figure, Tony Mei's customs, the whole thing.

But not for this one.

There’s no justification. We’re just discussing what could be a business reason for the Mez Flair after launching the line with such faithfulness to the source material.

Chances are, DCC & Hasbro own the master license and control the master catalog. So all other companies making articulated figures must do “interpretations”.

Just my opinion. Anecdotal Evidence: NONE of the companies making articulated figures are making classic versions of our favorite characters...stateside or otherwise.

Another company that produces figures of classic versions (and solely classic really) is Figures Toy Company and their Mego Repros, of which they've gone way beyond originally produced figures onto stuff like New Teen Titans and more. It'd be very interesting indeed to know the inner workings of all this stuff.

Randy is a little more transparent, although sometimes blatantly deceitful in order to keep somethings a surprise. But he's been upfront about the delays on the DC/Aliens two packs being due to licensing issues. He has said they should hopefully be released next year, but apparently its been at the cost of the death of the Holiday 7" DC figures released at TRU for the past few years.

Even if the licensing issue is true, they could still add less flair to some of their figures. I mean, Flash is pretty close to the original. And so is Shazam. And it does not explain the raised plastic S shield on Superman.

Well, you’d have to understand the clauses in the Master license. If the Master holder has first right of refusal, then they may be in a position to give a thumbs up or thumbs down to product. Regarding the Neca stuff, it is my understanding that Neca is being held up by the licensor due that Batman being rendered the way he is...pretty classic Aparo look or close to it.

FTC is in a really niche market that the master license holders may not see as a cut into their business market share. Probably has a lot to do with whether they see themselves ever getting into that niche market.

If this is the case, that does explain the weird S shield. It makes the look less classic. Definitely off model to the classic look.

Actually, that Flash was a bit of a Mez Flair mess too. 3/4” boots, Barry Allen head sculpts, Walley West suit...it wasn’t an iconic classic look at all. Nice figure but it also had some weird design choices. The closest figure to an actual classic DC look was Shazam...and I still wonder why he never got a variant yellow versus gold version.

That's actually a really good point. Especially when you consider that Red Son Superman is what this one pretty much should have been. It is odd how the comic NECA Batman and Superman got pushed back to next year. They were supposed to be out last month.

I have thought about that. That we blame these toy companies for decisions that may be out of their hands.

I’ve been saying that for awhile, but people always seemed to think it was just a conspiracy to deny them comic accurate toys. It makes sense why DC/Marvel would do this though. It gives them more opportunities to sell the license out to other entities while the highest bidder can control what people want.

I think all this figure needs is to lengthen the legs. Remove the boots, add about 1/8 to 1/4 inch, build the calfs to fill the boots--and that should fix it. It would make for a very nice figure!

23435012_10204138429458430_758756247034166119_n.jpg

23231594_10204138428978418_3401401671438122202_n.jpg

Back