1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

Superman Returns sucks, here's why.

- Superman and Louis Lane are too young.

- It's boring.

- They make Superman seem more like a Christ like figure rather than an American, true blue superhero.

- Holy trinity crap between Jor-El, Superman, and super brat.

- The fact that the kid is his son.

- Boring plot (real estate again Luthor)?

- Boring visuals (the only "good part" was the opening sequence and maybe the green screen induced plane scene).

Though I will admit, when I saw the trailers, I was pretty excited. It was only after the opening credits sequence that I started thinking "WTF is this ____".

Last edited:

I liked the movie alright, but it never struck me as particularly good. The lack of a big fight wasn't a major criticism of mine at the time, though, so much as the cheese oozing out of it (no doubt as reference to the older films with Lex and his cronies hamming it up, etc.), feeling that the pacing was off, feeling that there were too many forgettable moments, and the really bizarre choice of giving Superman a baby.

I did think Routh was great in the role, though. And I think people do caricature it a bit too much, just like they do with Lee's Hulk.

Superman Returns sucks, here's why.

- They make Superman seem more like a Christ like figure rather than an American, true blue superhero.

- Holy trinity crap between Jor-El, Superman, and super brat.

That stuff was in the original Donner films. There's a very clear Christ parallel in the beginning of S:The Movie.

I liked the movie alright, but it never struck me as particularly good. The lack of a big fight wasn't a major criticism of mine at the time, though, so much as the cheese oozing out of it (no doubt as reference to the older films with Lex and his cronies hamming it up, etc.), feeling that the pacing was off, feeling that there were too many forgettable moments, and the really bizarre choice of giving Superman a baby.

I did think Routh was great in the role, though. And I think people do caricature it a bit too much, just like they do with Lee's Hulk.

Anybody who didn't get chills hearing his voice (mimicking Reeve's speech pattern) when he talks to Lois on the plane is too "close-minded" to appreciate Returns' intent. :lecture:lecture:lecture

He certainly had potential as Superman... but so many years after the fact it should have just been a complete reboot.

That stuff was in the original Donner films. There's a very clear Christ parallel in the beginning of S:The Movie.

The only thing I can think of is "the father becomes the son and the son becomes the father". Other than that, I see more parallels with the story of Moses (just like the original comics) than Superman being a super Christ like being. And even so, after the first act when you get to Metropolis, you forget about it and it isn't shoved down your throat

In Returns you also have those gaudy, "dramatic" shots of Superman going up in the horizon as the sun is about to set with the blaring church like chorus just made me sick.
I prefer Superman as a hero, not a savior. Sure the heroic boyscout, do-gooder that always triumphs archetype gets old, but that's who Superman is, to me. Not "the one". Not a Prequel Anakin Skywalker or a post Matrix Neo.

Hasn't that always been the case?
I just watched All Star Superman on DVD and if you think he is Jesus like in SR then, you have to very much say the same of that animated movie.

Not to mention that the Superman illustration I posted on this thread was for a cover to a book exactly about how Jesus like Superman is.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Gospel-According-Worlds-Greatest-Superhero/dp/0736918124"]Amazon.com: The Gospel According to the World's Greatest Superhero (9780736918121): Stephen Skelton: Books[/ame]

The Christ stuff is over the top. I'm just saying I can see where Singer thought it was a component in the other films.

I am a staunch aethiest and I am rather cool with that stuff. Given who the character is, it makes perfect scene to me that he be Jesus like in some of the stuff he does.

I enjoyed Returns, but only after a multiple viewings. The first time I saw it, I didn't know what to think, and was a bit disapointed since I was very psyched about it.

Routh was great, and I agree that he had a thankless task. Too bad Scott Pilgrim didn't do so well because he was awesome in it, and very very different from his Superman role, showing that he can act.

Wasn't crazy about the plot being virtually identical to the first Superman movie. I mean seriously, who would want to buy land and build a house on the rocky Kryptonite built island?!?

I still enjoyed it, and it was far better than Superman 3 and 4. I know, not saying much...

I am a staunch aethiest and I am rather cool with that stuff. Given who the character is, it makes perfect scene to me that he be Jesus like in some of the stuff he does.

I think the comparisons to Jesus are a little far fetched. Superman wasn't a homeless necromancer, freeloading off of believers, healing the sick with hocus pocus and feeding the masses with magically bottomless baskets of bread and fish. :huh

I think the comparisons to Jesus are a little far fetched. Superman wasn't a homeless necromancer, freeloading off of believers, healing the sick with hocus pocus and feeding the masses with magically bottomless baskets of bread and fish. :huh

Wow .

singer at least makes very watchable films so in the end SR is just that. very watchable. now snyder is a whole different can... hes made 5 movies i believe? only one of which is really any good. MoS is in trouble!

singer at least makes very watchable films so in the end SR is just that. very watchable. now snyder is a whole different can... hes made 5 movies i believe? only one of which is really any good. MoS is in trouble!

I've personally liked all of Snyder's films and the cast he has going is a great one and think MoS is going t be great especially with Nolan piggy backing it

The similartities were not that extreme. He falls, he creates cross like pose. The son etc.

We are talking about a man sent to earth by a powerful father to be looked after by a Martha/Mary and a Jonathan/Joseph to protect the world from evil and is very very very good and never lies. He is almost too good. Just like JC.

Dude, the jesus comparason boat has sailed long ago. You are on it even if you are unaware of being on it. :)

:lol

You might recall I posted the Zombie Last Supper and Boba Christ pictures. That said, I can see where Signer went for it.

* He sacrifices himself and comes back to life
* He falls to earth in a Christ on the cross pose
* The trinity overtones of Father (Superman), son (Lois' kid) and Holy Ghost (Jor-el)
* the wound in the side
* Superman 'blesses' the kid at the end of the film
* the visual of him looking down on earth seeing and hearing all. It's just like god. Or Santa. You choose.

The similartities were not that extreme. He falls, he creates cross like pose. The son etc.

We are talking about a man sent to earth by a powerful father to be looked after by a Martha/Mary and a Jonathan/Joseph to protect the world from evil and is very very very good and never lies. He is almost too good. Just like JC.

Dude, the jesus comparason boat has sailed long ago. You are on it even if you are unaware of being on it. :)

I'm well aware of it, I just think it's reaching. Bored theologists looking for ways to milk a book deal, etc. :huh :lol

I've personally liked all of Snyder's films and the cast he has going is a great one and think MoS is going t be great especially with Nolan piggy backing it

i hope you are right. since you liked all his previous films then this film will deff be right up your alley. watchmen and nolan are the only things that give me hope. but the fact that the studio forced his (nolan) hand in choosing snyder over jones... this scares me.

Singer owned up to it a long time ago. He said that even though he's Jewish he finds the 'mythology of Jesus' fascinating.

Back