1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

Bottom two pics being debunked as months old on Facebook...

OK - wake up call. The simple fact is that YES, we DID manage to produce much more accurate looking chest logos for our projects.

My question about Hot Toys lack of ability to make this accurate is still very much valid despite the ridiculous "I like theirs better" comments that some of you are spouting out.

It's got nothing to do with being OCD. I've got eyes and I like to use them and when I do that - I can see that they totally dropped the ball on their idealized logo. It's not about measurements - it's just about the actual shape and design.

I challenge you to find a photo of Reeve wearing a costume which has a chest logo looking like that.

The chest logo is THE most important part of the Superman costume. It needs to be specific to whichever incarnation of the character has been chosen and the Hot Toys logo is clearly NOT the same as the logo incorporated into Chris Reeve's costume.

It's not rocket science kiddies. Try and keep up.

No one in this thread cares, dude. If it's such a big deal to you, why not just cancel the pre-order for this figure, and go make your custom projects that you believe are more accurate? :dunno

Thanks for the post, as I shut down my Facebook account a few days ago :lol. Well, from what I see, even Superman's pose seemed to have changed in the bottom pics.

No probs. :duff

Indeed it has.

Really? That's good stuff!!

I love the first sculpt but this tweaked one is better so hope that is what we get.

OK - wake up call. The simple fact is that YES, we DID manage to produce much more accurate looking chest logos for our projects.

My question about Hot Toys lack of ability to make this accurate is still very much valid despite the ridiculous "I like theirs better" comments that some of you are spouting out.

It's got nothing to do with being OCD. I've got eyes and I like to use them and when I do that - I can see that they totally dropped the ball on their idealized logo. It's not about measurements - it's just about the actual shape and design.

I challenge you to find a photo of Reeve wearing a costume which has a chest logo looking like that.

The chest logo is THE most important part of the Superman costume. It needs to be specific to whichever incarnation of the character has been chosen and the Hot Toys logo is clearly NOT the same as the logo incorporated into Chris Reeve's costume.

if Hot Toys wont change the S, will you sell away your figure?

or will you just mod it? i really want to know.

You sound bitter about something :dunno

Well, now that you mention it, the bottom pics do seem to have the old head-sculpt as compared to the top two pics.

Cking - I wouldn't agree that HT should be able to match the type of quality that a "few guys in their garage" was able to make. You guys are hard core when it comes to accuracy; not only are you able to re-create the symbol exactly to the placement but also the stitching pattern on how the symbol is placed on the shirt. Knowing how dedicated you are in achieving 100% accuracy, you probably also have correctly measured the width of the neck collar of the shirt.

HT may be known for their high quality and excellent figures and clothing but let's face it under any Intense scrutiny, none of their figures and products will be 100% accurate. I would even go so far as to suggest that they are mostly 80% to 85% accurate. That's why we get so much nit-pickers and comments on inaccuracies for every figure, because they've scrutinized the figure for every element. But HT does that 85% so well, that it just looks amazing.

I have admired the progress of your 1/3 reproduction and i wish I had the money to afford getting one, heck if I won the lottery I would be contacting Mike Hill right now for his life size one.

I think we can both agree that for the price point and for this scale, HT is offering the best representation of a mass produced C. Reeve Superman. Sure, I'd love it if they tweak it some more and get things more accurate. But right now, as it stands I bought two of this figure and I have no regrets yet of doing so.

I don't think anyone is saying you're wrong. It's just that they don't care :dunno. Personally, if I have an accurate looking Christopher Reeve face on A Superman costume I'm happy, since the film costume, colors, length of cape, symbol, have never been my favorite anyway.

They weren't posted by Hot Toys, either. They were posted by somebody on Hot Toys Community, which is a fan group.

Thanks for your eloquent reply. Lots of other forum members could learn a lot from your well thought out response.

I'm not expecting Hot Toys to reproduce the way the logo should be sewn IN to the blue fabric. At 1/6 scale - that technique would be impossible to do (It was difficult enough at 1/3 scale).

However - it really wouldn't take much effort for someone on the HT costume development team to look at some pics of Reeve in costume and realise that "hey, our logo really doesn't look the same as in these pics, let's change it".

It's not difficult and you don't have to be an expert on Reeve's costume to notice the difference. Just re-draw it properly and have it reprinted. With any luck, they WILL change it before the production pieces are shipped.

Not sure why so many members here have got such a witch hunt against those of us who can't understand why such a SIMPLE change can't be made to the artwork they've used???

It baffles me that people want an accurate Chris Reeve head sculpt on their figure, but they don't care about having an accurate version of his costume to compliment it. It's like putting an Adam West TV style logo onto the 89 Keaton Batman costume. People would go nuts if they did that and the complaint I have is really no different.

Cking - I wouldn't agree that HT should be able to match the type of quality that a "few guys in their garage" was able to make. You guys are hard core when it comes to accuracy; not only are you able to re-create the symbol exactly to the placement but also the stitching pattern on how the symbol is placed on the shirt. Knowing how dedicated you are in achieving 100% accuracy, you probably also have correctly measured the width of the neck collar of the shirt.

HT may be known for their high quality and excellent figures and clothing but let's face it under any Intense scrutiny, none of their figures and products will be 100% accurate. I would even go so far as to suggest that they are mostly 80% to 85% accurate. That's why we get so much nit-pickers and comments on inaccuracies for every figure, because they've scrutinized the figure for every element. But HT does that 85% so well, that it just looks amazing.

I have admired the progress of your 1/3 reproduction and i wish I had the money to afford getting one, heck if I won the lottery I would be contacting Mike Hill right now for his life size one.

I think we can both agree that for the price point and for this scale, HT is offering the best representation of a mass produced C. Reeve Superman. Sure, I'd love it if they tweak it some more and get things more accurate. But right now, as it stands I bought two of this figure and I have no regrets yet of doing so.

Last edited:

Thanks for your eloquent reply. Lots of other forum members could learn a lot from your well thought out response.

I'm not expecting Hot Toys to reproduce the way the logo should be sewn IN to the blue fabric. At 1/6 scale - that technique would be impossible to do (It was difficult enough at 1/3 scale).

However - it really wouldn't take much effort for someone on the HT costume development team to look at some pics of Reeve in costume and realise that "hey - we should redraw this logo so it's got the same appearance as the logo in these pics".

It's not difficult and you don't have to be ____ about anything. Just re-draw it properly and have it reprinted. With any luck, they WILL change it before the production pieces are shipped.

Not sure why so many members here have got such a witch hunt against those of us who can't understand why such a SIMPLE change couldn't be made to the artwork they've used???

I don't think it's necessarily a witch hunt so much as it is the continual trolling of impossible expectations. Expecting a 100% replica of Reeve in 1:6 is not gonna happen whether you pay HT's MSRP prices or the absurdly high, wallet wringing prices of the customizers here in the DC section. When something is being produced by human hands to replicate a real life person and wardrobe in a miniature scale, there will always be imperfections. Additionally, I don't think they scrutinize everything to the same level as some of you do. Given they have figures they have to put out at given deadlines, and staff that needs to be allocated to other projects once that deadline is up, you shouldn't expect them to either. It's an impossible standard.

However - it really wouldn't take much effort for someone on the HT costume development team to look at some pics of Reeve in costume and realise that "hey - we should redraw this logo so it's got the same appearance as the logo in these pics".

It's not difficult and you don't have to be ____ about anything. Just re-draw it properly and have it reprinted. With any luck, they WILL change it before the production pieces are shipped.

Not sure why so many members here have got such a witch hunt against those of us who can't understand why such a SIMPLE change couldn't be made to the artwork they've used???

Maybe they made a tactical call on this and decided to go with the one they have done over a more acccurate one for the sole fact that a lot of people would prefer a 'neater' one than an accurate one.

Not me though, I would love a more accurate one too but this figure is a dream come true already for me so I ain't complaining.

It's not an impossible standard at all. It probably took them more time to come up with their own stylized version of the logo than it would have done to just draw it accurately in the first place. It's really no more difficult than tracing the shape off a front view photo of Reeve in costume!

Also, they went to the extent of adding the snaps on the shoulders to secure the cape in position (which is how they did it on full size Reeve costumes), so I DO believe they care about the details.

However - this chest logo design just slipped through their fingers unfortunately.

I don't think it's necessarily a witch hunt so much as it is the continual trolling of impossible expectations. Expecting a 100% replica of Reeve in 1:6 is not gonna happen whether you pay HT's MSRP prices or the absurdly high, wallet wringing prices of the customizers here in the DC section. When something is being produced by human hands to replicate a real life person and wardrobe in a miniature scale, there will always be imperfections. Additionally, I don't think they scrutinize everything to the same level as some of you do. Given they have figures they have to put out at given deadlines, and staff that needs to be allocated to other projects once that deadline is up, you shouldn't expect them to either. It's an impossible standard.

It's not a question of expecting 100% accuracy, that's never gonna happen whether you spend $200 or $2000.

But the symbol being off is a very very basic and easy to fix problem, it would cost next to nothing in time and cost to fix it.

Again, i had a much bigger problem with the sculpt being off, so i'm happy enough with what it is now, but yeah, would be nice if they paid attention to the symbol.

You can make it neat AND accurate. The 1/4 scale screen printed logos that we did were neatened up a bit so all the sides were straight and the shapes within the logo were neatly formed.

If you take the time to look at the pics I posted of the 1/4 scale logo - I think you'll find that ours looks neater than what's currently on the HT figure?

Maybe they made a tactical call on this and decided to go with the one they have done over a more acccurate one for the sole fact that a lot of people would prefer a 'neater' one than an accurate one.

Not me though, I would love a more accurate one too but this figure is a dream come true already for me so I ain't complaining.

I dont know why your bothering now he's being released next month so he will all ready be on the production line.

I wouldn't say it looks better, but it is certainly more accurate and I love it for that.

Wish I could get the 1/4 I really do.

It's not a question of expecting 100% accuracy, that's never gonna happen whether you spend $200 or $2000.

But the symbol being off is a very very basic and easy to fix problem, it would cost next to nothing in time and cost to fix it.

Again, i had a much bigger problem with the sculpt being off, so i'm happy enough with what it is now, but yeah, would be nice if they paid attention to the symbol.

I still think you guys are splitting hairs. :dunno

The only thing I dislike about the symbol really is that it is a decal but hey, we all knew it was going to be.

I would say it's side by side pic comparison time just to highlight the difference but any gibbon can see they are nothing alike unless you're a George Reeves aficionado...

Back