1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

I don't think I know his work. Do you have picture?

I just wanted the flag photo look.

I'm really happy with how the HS looks. I don't think it's idealised, it's just the way he looked in the part.

If this is all Arnie Kim's work then he's captured the likeness spot on (for me).

Your point about Reeve's face changing is very true which is why I think this looks so good. It somehow captures the likeness of all the different looks.

No mean feat if you think of all the attempts - Tussauds, Bobby C, Mike Hill etc, etc, etc. All great attempts/efforts - but something just not quite right.

The only other person IMO who has got the likeness right is the amazing Phil Robinson. But that's just my opinion.

Well, I'm satisfied, now just ship the damn thing.

I don't think that's the best shot to compare him to!

Found another picture that looks like it could have been one used to develop the sculpt:

christopherreeveassuperman.jpg
6211234340_8c94f478ee_z.jpg

And of course the one everyone is looking at:

1810c9118d43ff9a11969e1740dbc9e6.jpg

Arnie did pretty good.

Arnie did pretty good.

Somebody did pretty good. I like this sculpt very much and I think there's more Reeve there than before. I just wonder how much of the final sculpt is Arnie Kim's. I'm going to be looking for Kojun's name on the back of that box when it gets here.

Sorry, but Kim sculpted the generic faced Indiana Jones. AFAIC that puts this newest sculpt's origin in question.

yeah, but he also sculpted the more than awesome 1/4 head we've seen earlier, which is still better than that one, so the guy has talent for sure but perhaps he needs to be pointed in the right direction sometimes...

Somebody did pretty good. I like this sculpt very much and I think there's more Reeve there than before. I just wonder how much of the final sculpt is Arnie Kim's. I'm going to be looking for Kojun's name on the back of that box when it gets here.

Sorry, but Kim sculpted the generic faced Indiana Jones. AFAIC that puts this newest sculpt's origin in question.

yeah, but he also sculpted the more than awesome 1/4 head we've seen earlier, which is still better than that one, so the guy has talent for sure but perhaps he needs to be pointed in the right direction sometimes...

And a person gets better at something the more they do it. It stands to reason it would look better with each version they do. If they do a DX, which I'm betting happens at some point, it'll probably blow this one away too.

No mean feat if you think of all the attempts - Tussauds, Bobby C, Mike Hill etc, etc, etc. All great attempts/efforts - but something just not quite right.

The only other person IMO who has got the likeness right is the amazing Phil Robinson. But that's just my opinion.

Arnie Kim would like to beg to differ with this effort in 1:4
Arnie_Superman_New.jpg

I believe the new sculpt is actually this same 1:4 scaled down to 1:6, the last Arnie smiling Bruce got the same treatment, shrinked from 1:4 to 1:6 with only the hair resculpted. I believe HT 3rd scanned the 1:4 and produced their original cast/mould of the 1:6th head... check these pics and imagine the lighting and angling the head like the pictures we've seen... looks like the new sculpt.

31207922830846841771460.jpg

Ofcourse Ill ask Arnie himself the next time I talk to him to confirm, however he's generally too secretive about his HT works, but is pretty open about any question regarding his Enterbay days...

:lol you are serious? :dunno very honestly most of Arnie's sculpts capture likeness uncannily, I dunno if you have ever seen his Jet Li, or Rocky sculpts, which are OLD... please dont sound so condescending about artists of the caliber in question. Also Arnie has been pictured with the new headsculpt with JC Hong, and even after that you want to get on the 'Arnie hate brigade', you are welcome... also HT are not as disrespectful (as you) to consider changing the sculptor once announced (as they are pretty aware of their caliber when hiring them)
Case in point: Yulli's Bruce Lee DX was still by Yulli although the master of Bruce Lee sculpts Arnie had already joined HT at that time. Lot of people speculated that Arnie would be bought on board for it, but I was pretty sure that HT wouldnt do something like that as its not good for their internal workings and pretty disrespectful to Yulli. Results were: Yulli's work got the release and IMO The DX04 Bruce Lee didnt end up looking as much like Arnie's Bruce, but HT went on with it and released it...

Last edited:

Now this is Christopher Reeve

6211234340_8c94f478ee_z.jpg

LOL @ those who thought the original sculpt was perfect.

I believe the new sculpt is actually this same 1:4 scaled down to 1:6, the last Arnie smiling Bruce got the same treatment, shrinked from 1:4 to 1:6 with only the hair resculpted. I believe HT 3rd scanned the 1:4 and produced their original cast/mould of the 1:6th head... check these pics and imagine the lighting and angling the head like the pictures we've seen... looks like the new sculpt.

Well, to me at the very least the hair is different on the 1/6 - the hairline is straight on the 1/6 which is completely wrong, it's a lot closer to accurate on the 1/4.

The face also looks a different sculpt to the 1/4 and actually I think I prefer the face sculpt of the 1/6

Just fantastic. I love the slightly distant look in the figures eyes, there's something otherworldly about it which is entirely in keeping with the character.

I know the stand will be great, but I'm not a fan of big stands, they tend to overshadow the figure for me; so I almost wish we were getting a flag instead, and I can't wait to pose it in front of one.

Well, to me at the very least the hair is different on the 1/6 - the hairline is straight on the 1/6 which is completely wrong, it's a lot closer to accurate on the 1/4.

The face also looks a different sculpt to the 1/4 and actually I think I prefer the face sculpt of the 1/6

Like I said, its problem with the camera, the picture of the 1/6th has like a fish eye effect if you notice, thus flattening the sides of the face/head and bloating the face. If you put it down in perspective its actually the same sculpt as the 1/4 nothings different :lol the hairstyle, facial expression is testament to that

Like I said, its problem with the camera, the picture of the 1/6th has like a fish eye effect if you notice, thus flattening the sides of the face/head and bloating the face. If you put it down in perspective its actually the same sculpt as the 1/4 nothings different :lol the hairstyle, facial expression is testament to that

The hairline on the 1/6 is very obviously different, the rest looks different too but maybe more pics will enlighten me :lol

The hairline on the 1/6 is very obviously different, the rest looks different too but maybe more pics will enlighten me :lol

I dont get it :huh I mean where is it different? can you make a side by side pic for comparison or just say which is the part/s you are referring it to be different from the 1:4th master sculpt...

:lol @ the little trolls who think their whiny _____ing had anything to do with HT tweaking the prototype HS.

:lol you are serious? :dunno very honestly most of Arnie's sculpts capture likeness uncannily, I dunno if you have ever seen his Jet Li, or Rocky sculpts, which are OLD... please dont sound so condescending about artists of the caliber in question. Also Arnie has been pictured with the new headsculpt with JC Hong, and even after that you want to get on the 'Arnie hate brigade', you are welcome... also HT are not as disrespectful (as you) to consider changing the sculptor once announced (as they are pretty aware of their caliber when hiring them)

Everything worked out for the best with Superman. It's a great looking figure. But go try making that point in the Indiana Jones thread.

I don't 'hate' Kim. Yes, Kim's 1/4 CR sculpt is fantastic. I'm not saying he's without talent. But there have been misfires with his HT work. Maybe it's deadlines or workload. I dunno.

I hope for all the Indy fans there is a pleasant surprise on the way, that the sculpt has been improved. But it's not looking good with all the recent sightings being a pretty much unchanged face.

I'll give you a point based on the 1/4 sculpt. But the Indiana Jones fans will not be so forgiving.

:lol @ the little trolls who think their whiny _____ing had anything to do with HT tweaking the prototype HS.

Well, it is obvious that their "whiny ____ing" helped quite more than your low standards. :lol

It's oh so obvious. :rolleyes:

Do you guys not get it that HT ALWAYS tweaks their product from announcement to release. :thwak

Back