MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my 7th Clearance EVENT now....what the hell???
1724772693588.gif

I think the sculpt of Kurt is definitely there. The mondo prototype paint work was excellent so obviously they couldn't match it for production. The thing that bugs me alot, is the drop in detail in the mouth and teeth makes it looks like he's giving some kind of rat face. It CU photography it doesn't look that bad, because you're seeing more of the details. But in hand, all I see is rat face on a really good sculpt.

For anyone considering re-painting the Flame Thrower - Here is a nice shot of the Kjun custom version, which looks pretty similar to the movie reference. Note the missing bent bleed pipe, on top of one of the tanks that Mondo molded. This could be easily cut off, I guess. Also, from reference images, the main hose appears it should be braided (rather than smooth rubber). A charge cable for a phone might be a good solution for this? :)

1724850821327.png

1724850852802.png

For anyone considering re-painting the Flame Thrower - Here is a nice shot of the Kjun custom version, which looks pretty similar to the movie reference. Note the missing bent bleed pipe, on top of one of the tanks that Mondo molded. This could be easily cut off, I guess. Also, from reference images, the main hose appears it should be braided (rather than smooth rubber). A charge cable for a phone might be a good solution for this? :)

View attachment 722675

View attachment 722676

Replacing the hose with a braided cable is a good idea.

There aren't any full, clear shots of the tank section in the film, so seeing Kjun's silver pipe and brass connections got me looking for colour photos of the M2A1-7, but they're hard to find as well.

I found photos of earlier versions of the M2 which were of the same design:

M2_flamethrower.jpg
m22-2.jpg
M2FlamethrowerVWM02.jpg

The silver pipe is a constant, as is the bare brass joint connected to it. The rest of the brass connections leading to the pressure tank look they were painted green in all three examples, which has since worn off to varying degrees.

So that gives me something else to paint.

(There is some green showing on the silver pipe and that first brass section, but I think it's a reflection).

The strap being placed so high on the pressure tank seems unique to the film, as other examples including the technical manual show it lower. Mondo presumably used non-movie photos for sculpting reference, and followed them to the point of missing the anomaly.

Right after I painted the pipe silver I came back to look for colour reference photos of the tap on the end of it (the pressure tank valve), and started to see photos where that pipe had been painted green. In fact I was seeing more green than silver. No idea whether it was still green in the film, or whether the paint was worn or wearing off.

The pressure tank valve tap was also painted green:

M2.jpg

M2a12.jpg

The photo above shows that under the paint the tap is steel.

The silver painted pipe does make an interesting break from green though, so I may leave it.

Any idea on how to replace the zippers on the flighsuit? Those iridescent strips really irk me.

On my 8th. It's as if US Homeland Security thinks the package really contains an alien biological entity.
My 8th too....Guys make sure you contact Mondo directly about it. The more emails they get, the more they'll know its happening to a bunch of customers

Back