NECA: Alien Movie Franchise Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not going to lie the ones on the left look better. None that I saw had paint apps that were even close to that.

I was at TRU yesterday and saw 5 sets of the Hicks & Hudson 2 packs. Let me tell 4 of them were brutal with horrible paint mishaps, crossed eyes and white paint on their cheeks on a couple of them. The QC is at an all time low lately and that's saying a lot. Very discouraging and it worries me that things are only going to get worse.

For me the Hicks screaming head is the worst across both releases. I don't think it's a problem with the sculpt, it just isn't getting painted well. The eyes suck on the new one and the thick flaking, dirty skin paint detracts from the old one.

I've compared them both in hand, and I think the originals are better (but only slightly, I don't like the chipping on the arms). Keep in mind, I'm talking about the regular Hicks and Hudson without the helmets. I think the new helmeted ones are better looking, and in the case of Hudson's actual helmet, more accurate).

Look at the cartoony eyebrows on the new Hudson, how they slant upward. The glossy, pastel skin just doesn't look good to me. Combined with the pink lips, it looks like edible Easter candy or something. People say, "oh, that's just to simulate sweat". No it isn't, that's just the pure, unpainted plastic they used. I really think they could have benefited from a thin layer of paint and maybe a slight wash to bring out the details.

I think the original unhelmeted Hicks (albeit too tan), blows the new one away as it atleast somewhat resembles the painted proto on the back of the package. I think that all comes down to the thickness of the paint and the fact that it's matte instead of glossy.

They could all be better though, especially when you see what those factories have done with head sculpts like Reeve Superman, Nathan Drake and TV Ash.

For me the Hicks screaming head is the worst across both releases. I don't think it's a problem with the sculpt, it just isn't getting painted well. The eyes suck on the new one and the thick flaking, dirty skin paint detracts from the old one.

Nevermind the faces my friend, just look at the plastic they used, the paint on the armor, the details, the color contrast. They dropped the ball on the whole thing.

I have the old one, i think its not 100% Michael Biehn but i like the expression for shooting action.

P1030542.jpg

P1030549.jpg
P1030586.jpg
Rescue Ripley with Newt, better then i thought and the Amazing Vasquez.
P1030635.jpg

P1030452.jpg
P1030661.jpg
I think that the Jungle Predator is to small against the dutsch figure. I compared the size to the Movie .The Predator lifts Dutsch with one hand and his Feet were at the height of the Predators knees.

I actually was reading through some of the comments on toyark a-Dev, and a lot people had the same complaints about NECA.

Motion Tracker Rework by scarrviper, on Flickr

Repainted my motion trackers and gave them new straps. I don't understand how neca keeps getting the color so wrong. I also used the same paint to repaint my pulse rifles and the shoulder lamps so they would all match. Plus I made new straps for the rifles and Hicks' holster. No pics of those since my battery died.

I'll try to have some shots of my modified marines soon. I swapped out their chest armor (preferred the paint of the originals since the colors match up with frost better), and partially repainted their leg armor to match. I also cut off Hicks' chinstrap from his helmet since he never wore it down.

Nice job on the repaint. It looks way better now.
I fear the Sentry Guns will suffer the same fate though.

Anyway, here's my contribution to the thread:

DSC06934.jpg

I don't have any NECA Marines yet.
f6eea3ce.jpg

Got the Hicks and Hudson today, and I'm quite pleased with both!
No paint slop, no wonky limbs... everything looks and feels sturdy. Haven't compared them to the older releases, but I think I'll be keeping these two and selling the others.

I got my Hicks/Hudson and Ripley/Newt last week. In a nutshell I can echo only what has already been reported. My Ripley had the white painted on to her lips and not the teeth, Newts hands were caked on something terrible. My Hicks head has a hitler mustache thing going on with an ill placed overdoing it of his scruff. The continued brown jungle boots and forest green gear still perplexes me. Such willful inaccuracy is mind boggling.

None of the eyes were that bad on any of my marines though. I guess I lucked out. I dare say the screaming Hudson is the definitive Hudson. I haven't sat it side-by-side with the first release ones yet, but at first glance the paint was pretty good on at least that figure and I am not unhappy.

All that said, moving forward I will 100% be skipping the Kenner, Prometheus, and covenant waves. I will most likely skip the Resurrection wave. I'll grab the Aliens weapons pack and Lambert I guess. Otherwise, wake me up in 2018.

Have you made an Ops battle version of Hicks?

I want to make one but I'm undecided whether to just straight up use the head from the McFarlane Hicks on the NECA figure OR if I should carefully slice the headset parts off the McFarlane sculpt and attach them to the NECA head.

I got my hicks and Hudson 2- pack a couple weeks ago at my local collector's store, they had 4 sets to choose from, and I got a very well panited set, really digging this set, hoping they do a drake next.

Have you made an Ops battle version of Hicks?

I want to make one but I'm undecided whether to just straight up use the head from the McFarlane Hicks on the NECA figure OR if I should carefully slice the headset parts off the McFarlane sculpt and attach them to the NECA head.

I tried both a while back. The "G" head is with the mcfarlane Hicks headset. I wasn't real pleased with it since the Mcfarlane headset wasn't all that accurate anyways. I then tried scratch building some using a paper clip and some filler, but my technique could use some work.
CAM00522.jpg
CAM00523.jpg

I actually sold them all off not long after I made them. At present I don't have one, so I will probably try again soon on the 'new' Hicks.

I hope NECA will make one (if indeed they recognise that an Ops Vasquez is a necessity, why not Hicks too) but in the meantime I'm feeling impatient and want to make myself a placeholder.

I hope NECA will make one (if indeed they recognise that an Ops Vasquez is a necessity, why not Hicks too) but in the meantime I'm feeling impatient and want to make myself a placeholder.
It's difficult to decide what to invest time in making customs of, when you never know what might be made officially. Apone is a prime candidate. Randy's been pretty definitive about them not being able to get Al Matthews likeness. But then.. Miracles have happened.

Damn I would not say no to NECA making their own cacooned colonists with the wall diorama piece.
Me too! Along with their hive diorama and Queen sack. ;) And dead/decaying facehuggers, for that scene like above.

Back