Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At The Mountains of Madness would have been incredible, especially with Guillermo at the helm.
I liked Prometheus, but it was a significant let down for me. It was just film that didn't need to be made. Part of what makes Alien so satisfying is the mystery of it all. In a poorly conceived attempt to expand upon the Alien universe, Prometheus took away more than it added. I did leave the theater thinking of it as an above average and entertaining science fiction film, but only when disconnected from the original Alien franchise.

Much like his vision for Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, I still hold out hope that del Toro's Mountains of Madness will happen some day.

At The Mountains of Madness would have been incredible, especially with Guillermo at the helm.
I liked Prometheus, but it was a significant let down for me. It was just film that didn't need to be made. Part of what makes Alien so satisfying is the mystery of it all. In a poorly conceived attempt to expand upon the Alien universe, Prometheus took away more than it added. I did leave the theater thinking of it as an above average and entertaining science fiction film, but only when disconnected from the original Alien franchise.

Much like his vision for Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, I still hold out hope that del Toro's Mountains of Madness will happen some day.

This is what I like to call, a real honest opinion of the movie. Heck, you could've even changed "I liked it" to "I didn't like it at all".

Same with A-Dev. He didn't like it, but he's not raving like a loon about it.

This is what I like to call, a real honest opinion of the movie. Heck, you could've even changed "I liked it" to "I didn't like it at all".

Same with A-Dev. He didn't like it, but he's not raving like a loon about it.

I could say what honestly bothered me, in relation to Mountains again but then you or Blade would either tell me to
1 leave the thread
2 get over it

you guys don't get it, Mountains of Madness is 10 times a better story that Prometheus would ever be, it is really amazing, and doesn't have the stupid plot holes this movie had.

but like you said already, Ill get over it.

You do realize that the movie could suck more then anything anyone's ever made...correct? The story being good doesn't mean anything.....right?

I picked up the 4 disc version and watched the theatrical cut again along with the extended/alternate scenes. Some of those deleted scenes are terrific and would have made a good film in my estimation a pretty damn great film. I'm going to tackle the huge doc on the special features disc this weekend. I would love to see Scott at some point give us a director's cut but I doubt if it will ever happen. Too bad to.

^ He said it wont. But perhaps a alternate cut may surface. Who knows.

Liked that Januk scene a lot. Made his statement make actual sense, rather then a random thought.

I'm actually very curious to see the deleted scenes, but haven't been able to pick up the bluray yet. I'm a little tapped out after buying the Hot Toys Tumbler.

Would anyone care to describe the additional footage or direct me somewhere where it already has been? Thanks in advance.

I'm actually very curious to see the deleted scenes, but haven't been able to pick up the bluray yet. I'm a little tapped out after buying the Hot Toys Tumbler.

Would anyone care to describe the additional footage or direct me somewhere where it already has been? Thanks in advance.

see, I am not the only one wanting to see that!

At least they finally explained why Guy Pearse was playing an old guy. I like the whole "entering cryo dreams" thing, but it would have been very weird I think had it made the final movie. That "Fury" doc is one of the best I've seen, its bloody epic. But it's a testament to the bad decisions made along the line. The screen test between Shaw and David's head makes the entire movie make a bit more sense, very stupid to change it IMO.

My favorite scene by far
Spoiler Spoiler:

I told my wife that was one of the coolest scenes I have ever saw in a movie.

I would also like to add I couldn't get enough of Therons tight uniforms. She is so damn hot. :love

Last edited:
The Greek Prometheus myth centers around Prometheus's punishment for his theft of fire from the Gods which he gave to mankind (he was also said to have created mankind from clay). I'd say the parallels between the primordial Engineer's death and the mythical Prometheus's punishment are fairly explicit.

This film (like Blade Runner or 2001: A Space Odyssey) doesn't draw a roadmap for its audience and remains elliptical. All three films in certain ways defy interpretation.
But the average moviegoer demands instant gratification and crystal clear exposition. To have to actually think about something is usually too much work (which might explain why the Bayformer movies have made billions of dollars).:wink1:

Prometheus was magnificently inconsistent with undercooked characterization and plot, and zero payoff. Considering the potential for this subject material, it was a huge letdown.

It's easy to pretend that a movie doesn't do well because the audience is too stupid to get it. It's not easy to make a good film, and a great film is even tougher. Alot of things have to come together to make it great. In this case, I think Ridley just wasn't lucky in the quality of the screenwriting and he didn't have it in him to keep pushing for better.

Transformers had shiny objects.

Source
Stange about the directors cut. Thought Ridley loved doing them.:dunno

Well, his brother did just jump off a bridge recently. That might have an effect on his enthusiasm for the project, but I agree it is strange to pass up an opportunity like that.

My favorite scene by far
Spoiler Spoiler:

I told my wife that was one of the coolest scenes I have ever saw in a movie.

I would also like to add I couldn't get enough of Therons tight uniforms. She is so damn hot. :love

Watch the making of doc, lots more of Theron to see. And in a couple of scenes... (getting into space suit, a lot more).
:lol

Watch the making of doc, lots more of Theron to see. And in a couple of scenes... (getting into space suit, a lot more).
:lol

I rented this ONDemand. I'm taking back a video game I bought to BB today. If they have a copy in a few minutes I will pick it up. This movie is a buy for me. I had to see it first though because of the feedback. The visuals alone are worth the price. This movie was beautiful.

But I digress, what I wouldn't give to........well I'm married. :rotfl

Back