Official "The Dark Knight" SPOILER Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Celtic, I like how you're Dent poster has just a hint of the burns on the edge of the shadow.

Not really. It may just be the fact that the Burton films were garbage and didn't follow any source material...and that he took too many liberties with it.

Give us Batman 3 in 2011.

He followed the source material, it was more the early Bob Kane stuff. The problems with his movies and why they don't stand up now was because Burton is always too focused on the visuals and has a hard time with story, character arc and development. The scripts he used were weak, and none of his Batman movies had any deeper meanings or relevancy.

If done right, he could probably be even topped. You've named 3 great villains in cinema history, which shows that there is no single villain above them all. Get the right mix of how the character is written and the performance of the actor, and you can get amazing results. Heath's performance and the writer's scripting created a great rendition of the Joker, but the wrong mix could have sucked badly. The Joker is a great villain in the world of fictional villains, but if handled poorly all of his impact can be lost. Heath gave a great performance, but it doesn't mean another actor couldn't take on another role and rival him.

But that's the thing, even handeled poorly he's a great character. And there isn't a rogue in any comic book that beats the Joker. And no one there after in Nolan's movies will be able to compete. He's used the 3 most threatning villains in the mythos, with the most realistic psychology and threat ... and has used the cream of the crop in terms of comic book villains. No one thereafter in the Batman mythos, or anyone elses stacks up with the Joker. None. And like I said, the list is short for Nolan if he wants a villain with a good theme story wise, who can even be realistically explained and be threatning. Either way, they're not racking up to the Joker, let alone the one presented in TDK. There isn't a role for a Batman villain that the greatest actor could take up to rival the Joker, bro. He's the pinnacle. No character is as juicy and ambitious as you can be with the Joker. None. And not one of them will draw audiences the way the Joker does. And not one will have the impact. Seriously, name me one. It's not possible.

I can't name one right now, but what I'm saying is, that's not to say it can't be done.

Perhaps based on the all time background of Batman villainy, there is no one to rival the Joker.

However, nothing says that Nolan's writing team and a good actor couldn't change that. If they say to themselves, we want to outshine the Joker in part 3, I believe with hard work and creative thought it can be done. Whether or not they do it, who knows, all I'm saying is it can be done if someone wanted to do so. Nolan's sticking pretty true to Batman origins but he's also making his own world, so if he doesn't want Joker to be the epitomy of all even in his world, he doesn't have to and he may decide to make a character that ups the anti more.

They aren't going to get a villain to out shine the Joker character, and you'd be even more hard pressed to get a performance to make the words spring alive off the page in such a way that the Oscar nominated, and potential Oscar winner in Heath Ledger did for the Joker.

If they do another Batman movie, the best bet would be go the BEGINS route ... make it a character driven piece, and keep things intimate and tight to Bruce Wayne. There is no point in trying to outdo a villain like the Joker and what Heath did with the role. It would be like pulling a basketball player off the bench in the NBA Finals and saying "Hey, go be better than Michael Jordan."

It's not gonna happen. The next story should have some villains like BEGINS, but the focuse of the story should be on Bruce. Hell, you could even play it like Batman is the villain given the ending of TDK. That'd be unique. We could get more bad ass Batman v.s. GPD SWAT members. And the whole movie could be a character piece on how Batman's trying to restore his image and his personal redemption for letting Rachel die and Harvey dying. But there definetely is no point in trying to up a character of the Joker and the performance Heath turned in. Not gonna happen. Move on, and do something different.

Was it the Joker's father that gave him those scars on his cheeks by cutting them?
Just curious

Presumably, but he gives a few accounts and which one is true, who knows.

His first account is that his father attacked his mother with a knife while drunk and then cut his mouth with the knife too. His second account is that his wife was scarred from an accident, they couldn't afford to patch her up, so to make her feel better, he took a knife and cut his mouth to make himself damaged like her to cheer her up.

Was it the Joker's father that gave him those scars on his cheeks by cutting them?
Just curious

He made up a bunch of stories, kept changing it. The second time h said he did it so his wife wouldn't feel bad, which he probably made up like the father one? Or maybe on was true? He never finished his third scar rant thanks to Batman...:monkey5

I'm not sure he even knows for certain. I'm inclined to think that The Joker absolutely 100% believes each story he tells as he tells it.

The changing of the stories was a reference to the graphic novel A Killing Joker by the famous Alan Moore. It's similar in that Joker's origins are better left a mystery and by giving multiple accounts you can speculate and find interesting stories, but ultimately his origin remains a mystery and it goes to show how rat ^^^^ crazy the Joker is by choosing a "multiple choice" selection for his origins.

These are too much fun...

Jokerposte2.jpg

Not giving the Joker a back story is one of the things I like the most about the movie.

I'm not sure he even knows for certain. I'm inclined to think that The Joker absolutely 100% believes each story he tells as he tells it.

Exactly. That's the genius of The Joker, you never really know if there's any truth to what he says and if he even knows what's fact or fiction.

Back