Playstation 3 Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Blu-Ray player that just happens to play PS3 games ( of which I own only 1 ).

I was very excited this week to get a new surround sound receiver that will decode and play the 7.1 DTS HD-MA audio tracks on some Blu-ray movies. I spent some time up in the attic running the cable for the two new speakers and was all ready to go.

Surprise!!

The PS3 will not internally decode DTS HD MA, nor is it capable of passing it out via bitstream for decoding by the receiver.

:banghead

That had to make you feel good inside! That really blows man. Sorry to hear it. In all honesty I am happy with DTS 5.1. It's good enough for me.

mgs4ps3bundle.jpg
mgs4ps3bundle.jpg

mgs4ps3bundle.jpg
mgs4ps3bundle.jpg

mgs4ps3bundle.jpg
mgs4ps3bundle.jpg

Are you really gonna buy the system with the MG dude on it? It will be like the Halo 3 360 system :lol

Don't buy a game themed system man!

But it's MGS.

MGS4 > Gaylo 3

Don't think it's themed, I think the game just comes bundled with the system

It's themed, Snake is all over the box, and the font is MGS-ish.

But yeah, 60 GB is the way to go.

do you think a firmware upgrade in the future will be able to fix this issue?

From what I have read and researched, it doesn't sound like the system will ever be able to pass it on via bitstream because of hardware issues. (Much like HDMI on the 360--it just needed a new unit altogether.) A firware update could allow the PS3 to decode it internally and send it out as PCM, but they have made no official announcements about when or if this update is coming. My guess is that they are going to wait until the stand alone players that support DTS HD MA have had a good window of opportunity to sell before undercutting them with a cheaper option on the PS3.

And it's not just the 7.1 movies that I am thinking of--even the DTS HD 5.1 tracks are going to be dumbed down from the real bitrate of up to 24mbps to the paltry core 1.5mbps until they give us the update.

Yeah it's the same old 80GB system but includes the MGS4 game and the new Dual Shock 3. It is also still backwards compatible with the PS2 unlike the 40GB.

Huh....just got a 40GB PS3 didn't know it wasn't backwards compatible.... sucks but then again I'll probably be playing more new games than going back and replaying old ones.

Huh....just got a 40GB PS3 didn't know it wasn't backwards compatible.... sucks but then again I'll probably be playing more new games than going back and replaying old ones.

Yea, but it would be nice if you WANTED to go back and then couldn't....

opps, yeah, just the cardboard box is themed. the ps3 is the plain old 80 gb. But it's BWC is not as good as the 60 GB Emotion Engine.

ok... thinking about getting a PS3 to play Modern Warfare with some buddies.

Which version should I get? Do I actually need the best one or would the
40GB work fine???

Is that the only difference? My buddy who has the 60GB one said they cut a lot of corners on the 40GB one and the quality isn't the same.

Your buddy is full of ++++.(no offense)40 gb is nice,As far as in inner workings go?It's the same machine except for the BC.There are no SD card readers on the 40gb and 2 less USB ports.(which can be upgraded with a hub later on if you choose)no biggies.But i wouldn't call that a drop in quality.

at 399$ if you don't care about BC it's a deal.

Last edited:
I bought a 40 gig unit. It's all I needed. I really wanted a BR player in the basement and this unit made the most sense instead of a stand alone BR player.

Back