Pokemon X & Y

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So would you prefer a well-rounded pokemon or a pokemon that 'specializes' in moves of its own element? I took the approach of since I have a team, I want each one to 'specialize' rather than have everyone 'well rounded.'

You think I'm making a mistake?

well the problem will be that once your water specialized pokemon will be K.O you would have no other pokemon in your team to defeat ground/rock types. well you can with a grass type. so you can go that way if you'd like, if you think you have enough coverage to deafeat most of the types. Well-rounded pokemons are great if you lack a certain type in your team.

it's growing on to me :monkey1

h2C3B6C2B

hE5A80829

well the problem will be that once your water specialized pokemon will be K.O you would have no other pokemon in your team to defeat ground/rock types. well you can with a grass type. so you can go that way if you'd like, if you think you have enough coverage to deafeat most of the types. Well-rounded pokemons are great if you lack a certain type in your team.

You're making me re-think my whole strategy!!! I feel like I have to start from scratch! :(

Do you tend to use TMs and Move Tutors quite a bit? I never have (even on the old games), but now I'm starting to think I should. Worst case scenario I could just have them learn another move and replace that one?

I see what you're saying about being well-versed. My thinking was if you have a water-type, give it a majority of water type moves so it gets the same attack type bonus. My strategy was keep two, same type attacks and two 'other moves', whether they be rock, fire, fighting, etc.

Also, on a side note, will TMs be transferable to the Poke Bank as well???

lol that's what I do, I have like 2 same type moves and then 2 buffs/counter type moves. But mostly I just keep all their moves the same type that the pokemon is. I don't fight online ppl cause all they use is thundurs and heatran

You're making me re-think my whole strategy!!! I feel like I have to start from scratch! :(

Do you tend to use TMs and Move Tutors quite a bit? I never have (even on the old games), but now I'm starting to think I should. Worst case scenario I could just have them learn another move and replace that one?

I see what you're saying about being well-versed. My thinking was if you have a water-type, give it a majority of water type moves so it gets the same attack type bonus. My strategy was keep two, same type attacks and two 'other moves', whether they be rock, fire, fighting, etc.

nah man, dont. stab moves are good for your pokemons and it depends on what you're gonna use your pokemon for. like my hippowdon knows only one Stab move, Earthquake. the others are Stealth rock, roar and Slack off. i mainly use my hippowdon as a scouter. i first lay stealth rock then use roar to make my opponent change his pokemons so they get damage by stealth rock and that way i see what pokemons he has (if he doesnt get killed by a water type suprise) and start thinking of tactics. Slack off (which he learns by breeding) is to heal him and earthquake when i know i can kill it off. My nidoking (i know he's weak) doesnt have any stab moves, he knows a water, elec, and fire type move. usually to deal with the pesky water types although i mainly just use him to lay toxic spikes. my opponent now gets damage from Sandstorm, Stealth rock and Poison (if everything goes as planned). so my sweepers have it pretty easy to k.o. my opponents pokemon. once i was loosing badly with only my Empoleon (knows only one stab move; Agility, Subtitute, surf, ice beam) left and my opponent had 3 poke's but my Empoleon defeated all three with little to no HP left, he's a ****in beast i tell ya!

Tm's will be transferable by letting your pokemons hold them, i believe.

Oh btw, new changes has been anounced too

"Some more changes regarding types have been announced; Ghost types are no longer affected by moves that prevent fleeing such as Mean Look. Grass Pokémon can't be seeded or affected by moves such as SleepPowder or Stun Spore. Electric types can no longer be Paralysed"

As TMs can now be used infinite times, they can't be held in Gen V, so you won't be able to transfer them.

Oh right, the inifite use of tm's.

Another move set that you could use is Outrage, Hurricane, Aqua tail and Dragon dance. a +1 boosted Outrage by Dragon dance should be able to kill of Heatrans if they've taken some damage beforehand. Hurricane, used for other stuff that's effective except for Ground which comes aqua tail in handy. idk , just a suggestion:)

nah man, dont. stab moves are good for your pokemons and it depends on what you're gonna use your pokemon for. like my hippowdon knows only one Stab move, Earthquake. the others are Stealth rock, roar and Slack off. i mainly use my hippowdon as a scouter. i first lay stealth rock then use roar to make my opponent change his pokemons so they get damage by stealth rock and that way i see what pokemons he has (if he doesnt get killed by a water type suprise) and start thinking of tactics. Slack off (which he learns by breeding) is to heal him and earthquake when i know i can kill it off. My nidoking (i know he's weak) doesnt have any stab moves, he knows a water, elec, and fire type move. usually to deal with the pesky water types although i mainly just use him to lay toxic spikes. my opponent now gets damage from Sandstorm, Stealth rock and Poison (if everything goes as planned). so my sweepers have it pretty easy to k.o. my opponents pokemon. once i was loosing badly with only my Empoleon (knows only one stab move; Agility, Subtitute, surf, ice beam) left and my opponent had 3 poke's but my Empoleon defeated all three with little to no HP left, he's a ****in beast i tell ya!

Tm's will be transferable by letting your pokemons hold them, i believe.

Oh right, the inifite use of tm's.

Another move set that you could use is Outrage, Hurricane, Aqua tail and Dragon dance. a +1 boosted Outrage by Dragon dance should be able to kill of Heatrans if they've taken some damage beforehand. Hurricane, used for other stuff that's effective except for Ground which comes aqua tail in handy. idk , just a suggestion:)

Thanks for the advice!!!!! :rock Much appreciated and definitely see where you are coming from.

I guess I always thought that having a water-type use an electric-type move or a rock-type using a water-type move, etc. would make the move 'weaker' (if that makes sense). Just so I'm clear. You're saying that it's NOT true?

Again, I appreciate the advice. :rock :rock :rock

a rock using water, grass using fire, fighting using psychic etc wont make the move weaker. It just wont get the same type attack bonus

Exactly. Plus if you use drizzle to make it Rain, aqua tail gets 50% more power, wich is the same a stab move gets.

Back