[Rainman Artwork]The Butcher "Bill 2nd"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: [Rainman Artwork]The Butcher V2 MARCH PREORDER

Did they? I never knew that

I know that Aeon painted a DX Doc sculpt which I guess was part of her "tryouts" or something

Yeah, DF Studios wasn't available for some reason or another, so Iminime came in and knocked it out of the park. Thankfully, Aeon came on after that and it has made a world of difference for those who don't get full sets/DX figures every time out, and don't want to commission Nathan to paint them or whatever.

Honestly in one scale 1-10, how much better is RM paint comparing Aeon's?

I would argue that generally, it isn't better, though sometimes he does things better, like iris size on Bickle, or she does things better like skin tone or lip color for a given head. They are different. Each has some different stylistic touches to a given sculpt, but in terms of technical painting ability I say they're about equal.

I would argue that generally, it isn't better, though sometimes he does things better, like iris size on Bickle, or she does things better like skin tone or lip color for a given head. They are different. Each has some different stylistic touches to a given sculpt, but in terms of technical painting ability I say they're about equal.

It would be interesting to see someone do a test, basically show two sculpts that are not indicated before hand which is aeon and which is rainman, i wonder how many would nail it down accurately (pre production). In case of bickle obviously the iris stood out way more but i wonder if other head sculpts if not shown beforehand would people be able to mark one against other immediately or with a head scratch...(iris being equal :)

Thnks Kara, i only picked one sculpt painted by Aeon ( Pulp Vince) i liked the way she painted but i tought her skin tone a lil bit pinkish in hand.., So after that i choose buy Travis unpainted, and now finally i ll try pick Bill painted by RM as full set. But u telling both r barelly equal give me second tought to go with HC.
I ll consider this
Thanks

It would be interesting to see someone do a test, basically show two sculpts that are not indicated before hand which is aeon and which is rainman, i wonder how many would nail it down accurately (pre production). In case of bickle obviously the iris stood out way more but i wonder if other head sculpts if not shown beforehand would people be able to mark one against other immediately or with a head scratch...(iris being equal :)

RM's style of paint is easy to spot he usually paints the skin very flat almost one tone and paints the cheeks rosy with a blush tone. He also paints the lips very pink. His eyework is better than Aeons imo.

Aeon skintones are paler than RM's with usually a lot of red under the eyes (Anton) and a red line along the bottom of the eye, which works for some characters but csn give others a sickly complexion. Her pupils are almost all black with just a hint of iris color.

Neither paint in an ultra realistic manner as say Nathan does. You either love the style or hate it.

Last edited:

RM's style of paint is easy to spot he usually paints the skin very flat almost one tone and paints the cheeks rosy with a blush tone. He also paints the lips very pink. His eyework is better than Aeons imo.

Aeon skintones are paler than RM's with usually a lot of red under the eyes (Anton) and a red line along the bottom of the eye, which works for some characters but csn give others a sickly complexion. Her pupils are almost all black with just a hint of iris color.

Neither paint in an ultra realistic manner as say Nathan does. You either love the style or hate it.

Very well said. May be i shld have edited to... Whose paint people (unaware of rainman and aeon) find better... Would be a tough call...

I dont like either the red line in the bottom of the eye, looks like the sculpt is high or something

Last edited:

In my eyes and humble opinion, Rainman is still the greatest 1/6 painter Ive ever seen. We are so lucky to have several immense talents out there, from Rainman to Nathan, Josh Small, Ray Ferraro, Kuato, Rahimer, Skiman, Aeon, etc, and while i only own peices by RM, Aeon, Ray, Josh and Kuato, my favorites are always rainmans.

in my eyes, no one else can match the balance between crisp, and blended skin tones you get from RM. His eyes are impeccably sharp (Eagle eye and im sure this upcoming release being simply out of this world) When I line all there work up, it looks the least like someone actually hand painted it.

I have seen some of these other guys perhaps get better likenesses out of sculpts than RM, but in terms of sheer quality, RM is still tops to me

Like I said RM has the most unique style out of all the painters you mentioned. His style is a love it or hate it type. If youre looking for photo realism in the paintwork RM's style never has or will be that. Having said that, his eagle eye is stunning. Thats his strongest attribute imo. His eyes. His paint definitely has a charm to it, and it just FITS his sculpts so well!

Last edited:

I'd love to see a side by side of Rainmans Hatted Doc with Aeons rerelease hatted Doc. The eyes seem totally different.

I'd love to see a side by side of Rainmans Hatted Doc with Aeons rerelease hatted Doc. The eyes seem totally different.

Ive seen a side by side of Aeons and Iminime but not RM's...would like to see that for sure.

Rainman definitely adds a style in his paint work that sometimes gives it a dollish look (with certain lip colors, pigment effects, etc.) but I have to agree that he is one of the best from a quality stand point. Even if he's stuff may come across "cutesy" or soft at times, things such as Bickle's stubble show off his talent and experience. For instance if do a side by side comparison with any of his and Iminime's sculpts, it's easy to see who the veteran is. I don't know how to exactly explain it but even if you're not a fan of the style that sometimes shines thru (in varying degrees) in his paint, it's impossible not to recognize that the level of quality is of a master.

His style to me certainly fits well with a number of his softer sculpts (Wonka, Alex, Tyler V1) but clashes a bit more with his realistic sculpts (Bill, Anton, Plainview)

Neither rainman nor aeon paint a "base" coat. Both use the base color of the resin. They also, like many Asian painters, use enamels as apposed to most american painters who use acrylics. The enamels stick really well and so a primer isnt needed. Thats why there is no loss of detail.

Quality=Rainman. Best style=personal preference. I really preferred Aeon's style on the Bickle sculpts, but couldn't get over the eyes. I have an Angel Eyes painted by both of them. Side by side, you can't tell who painted which one, both are fantastic.

Ive seen a side by side of Aeons and Iminime but not RM's...would like to see that for sure.

Ah maybe mine was painted by Iminime then, I don't know

This is it

Where as Aeons eyes are much much different, lighter in colour, almost a baby blue/white blue/green, if anyone has a restock Aeon painted Doc would like to see a close up

Aeons:

10008587_10100189699623456_1524425484_n.jpg

Iminime/Rainman?:

10147310_10100189699633436_605919773_o.jpg

All comes down to personal preference

Last edited:
Back