RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rate The Last Movie You Watched.

Tree of Life - Very hard to review after seeing it once. This will likely bore the hell out of anyone that gives Avenger type movies 10 out of 10. Hell I almost turned it off. Then something hit me and I "got" it. Not sure if that makes sense. A huge part of me wouldn't recommend this to friends. Some of you know I lost my father. So it kinda touched that cord of my being. Anyways I give it an 8.5 out of 10. I think. :lol

:exactly:It's not for the average movie goer, that's for sure. I was turned off by the graphic "intermissions". I found them unnecessary and non-contributory to the films story. However the actual film was beautiful. Very inspired directing by Malick.

8.5/10

Ughh:monkey4, The Sitter gets a 2/10 in my book. Was really dissapointed

I tend to be generous with scores (not sure I've ever given a 2 out before). I rarely give anything lower than a 6 as I try to avoid movies that I know I won't like. Thought I'd give it a try, thinking it might of had some laughs, but I was wrong.

Dark Shadows 7/10

typical Tim Burton movie , not his best but also not his worst movie

An 'Average film' mathematically is simply a film that falls within the mean range of all films of all time

In other words, an average film falls into the 50th percentile where 50% of films are better than it, and 50% are worse.
Therefore, given the above, mathematically correct definition of average - to say '90% of films are average', is mathematically incorrect :p

I think that's kara's point

That being said, I would agree that 90% of films are nothing special (as opposed to average :lol)

I really don't understand how this is so hard to understand. If I give Thor a 7 and say it's an average film. What happens when you throw it into the mix of every film ever made. It's still a 7 and it's still an average film, because guess where that score is going to land it? In the average range of every film ever made in history.

The Avengers: 8.75/10
I thought it started out a little clunky, but after a while I really got into it and enjoyed it. Yes, the plot was straightforward which I think would lead people to say the plot was "thin". But maybe movies have just gotten out of hand with twist endings and betrayals, etc., so now people expect that kind of complication in the plot. But I thought it worked fine for this, since there was already all these characters you had to juggle. If you added a cumbersome plotline it would probably have made the movie difficult to follow. But ultimately I thought it was a blast and I didn't want it to end. I thought Cap was handled much better here than in TFA which I didn't get into. I'm very proud of Joss and the success of this movie, and I hope this means he'll get the respect he deserves. And more importantly, I hope he gets more high profile projects to lead.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP_9zH9Q44o[/ame]

It's still a 7 and it's still an average film, because guess where that score is going to land it? In the average range of every film ever made in history.
If a 7 is the middle movie made, out of a range of all possible movies, then yes, it is "average." But you seemed to agree before that the Thor and Cap movies were better than the middle range of all possible movies. In which case, it is a misuse of the term. Going back to void's point, technically, you could have a mean or median of 7 with movies ranging in theory from 0 to 10 in score, if you've got many more great movies than really crappy ones, but I don't think this was what you were referring to. If I remember correctly, you said you ranked movies like a grade scale, so less than 6 is a "fail?" But the assumption is that there are many more decent than crap movies, because when you do a grading scale that way, you assume that students will easily obtain a certain baseline level of knowledge, and that the majority of the variation exists over 60 or 70%.

And I just want to say here that I have no idea why the ____ I get involved in these stupid conversations (that admittedly, I often initiate), nor do I know why I insist on responding to responses to my posts :lol I'm gonna try to stop it. Honest.

So do I, as is the case most of the time when you deal with large numbers. Wofford seems to be arguing that there is a negatively skewed distribution:

skewneg.gif

I really don't understand how this is so hard to understand. If I give Thor a 7 and say it's an average film. What happens when you throw it into the mix of every film ever made. It's still a 7 and it's still an average film, because guess where that score is going to land it? In the average range of every film ever made in history.

I agree with this.

If a 7 is the middle movie made, out of a range of all possible movies, then yes, it is "average." But you seemed to agree before that the Thor and Cap movies were better than the middle range of all possible movies. In which case, it is a misuse of the term. Going back to void's point, technically, you could have a mean or median of 7 with movies ranging in theory from 0 to 10 in score, if you've got many more great movies than really crappy ones, but I don't think this was what you were referring to. If I remember correctly, you said you ranked movies like a grade scale, so less than 6 is a "fail?" But the assumption is that there are many more decent than crap movies, because when you do a grading scale that way, you assume that students will easily obtain a certain baseline level of knowledge, and that the majority of the variation exists over 60 or 70%.

And I just want to say here that I have no idea why the ____ I get involved in these stupid conversations (that admittedly, I often initiate), nor do I know why I insist on responding to responses to my posts :lol I'm gonna try to stop it. Honest.

Classic gibberish by this guy.

Reading the last couple of pages Van down by the river/10

Back