RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rate The Last Movie You Watched.

Tree of Life - Very hard to review after seeing it once. This will likely bore the hell out of anyone that gives Avenger type movies 10 out of 10.

I take a slight offense to that statement. I gave both Tree of Life and The Avengers 10/10s. While they are very different movies, I think each are of the highest grade in the execution of their ideas and in their respective genres. Now, if we were to compare them directly to each other, I’d give Tree of Life a 10 and The Avengers like a 4 or 5. No flaming/trolling - just saying.

I will say that TOL is not for everyone - if you can't go in completely willing to give yourself to the experience that it presents to you, then you will definitely “not get it” and it will bore you (it did my parents). It’s probably Malick’s least accessible movie, so unless you are familiar with his style and/or other works, it can be a chore of a film. However, it can also be one of the most beautiful and rewarding films you may ever see. It has a really wonderful message for those who can open up their hearts and minds to it and take the time out to contemplate and understand it (which, I’ll concede, the average movie goer will not).

Also

Trust 9/10 - quite a disturbing movie, more than any horror movie I've seen

I take a slight offense to that statement. I gave both Tree of Life and The Avengers 10/10s. While they are very different movies, I think each are of the highest grade in the execution of their ideas and in their respective genres. Now, if we were to compare them directly to each other, I’d give Tree of Life a 10 and The Avengers like a 4 or 5. No flaming/trolling - just saying.

I don't know why I'm bothering to reply because really it's all a matter of opinion but here goes. IMO your post above makes no sense. Actually I don't feel like finishing this post. :lol

Cabin in the Woods 8/10

This movie is worth seeing just to see what it's all about. Alls I'll say is the "horror" of the story isn't the main part of the story.

I don't know why I'm bothering to reply because really it's all a matter of opinion but here goes. IMO your post above makes no sense. Actually I don't feel like finishing this post. :lol

I had this same conversation with Kara the other day and it still doesn't make sense to me either. The idea of grading films differently based on what they're compared to is strange.

"It's a 10 but then I watched this the other day and so now it's a 5 but then after I watched that it was back up to a 9."

Warrior: 6.5/10

Really good movie in some ways (fights were awesome, acting was awesome), but it was held back by the sentimentality and insane coincidences IMO.

LOL

I had this same conversation with Kara the other day and it still doesn't make sense to me either. The idea of grading films differently based on what they're compared to is strange.

"It's a 10 but then I watched this the other day and so now it's a 5 but then after I watched that it was back up to a 9."
That wasn't the conversation I thought we were having. You can compare a movie to all movies, or just some movies, and give them whatever score you want to based on that. All I was saying is that if you are comparing a movie to all other movies, then the term "average" can't apply to 90% of the movies in existence. It's a clear mathematical concept! :panic:

Dark Shadows - 8/10

Normally not a fan of Tim Burton...but this was actually quite entertaining.

Ghost Recon: Alpha -- 8/10. Tom Clancy's extremely well-produced short-movie prequel to Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

Its about 25-mintues long ... they aired it as an X-Play special on G4 last week sometime. My understand is there's a DVD version as well. Does a solid job of introducing the characters and military tech that will presumably be in the game. Good action, good effects, reasonably compelling storyline. Didn't look like a cheap production at all -- apparently there were all kinds of award-winning directors and writers involved in this thing.

It did feel like a long, really well-produced live action cut scene. Surprisingly good, though. Not Oscar stuff ... but an entertaining lead-in to the game. I wonder how many game franchises will take this idea and run with it ... it'd be interesting to have God of War or Call of Duty prequels like that.

SnakeDoc

That wasn't the conversation I thought we were having. You can compare a movie to all movies, or just some movies, and give them whatever score you want to based on that. All I was saying is that if you are comparing a movie to all other movies, then the term "average" can't apply to 90% of the movies in existence. It's a clear mathematical concept! :panic:

Yeah. That's still exactly what I thought you were saying and it's the same concept I'm speaking to above. A movie that you score a 6 is going to remain a 6 regardless of what you compare it to or how many other movies you watch for the rest of your life. Sub categorizing them into genres doesn't change a score. A movie that is average for a comic book film is still average in the rest of the movie world as well. If the only types of movies I've ever seen in my entire life were from one sub genre, that film is still going to be average.

Tree of Life - Very hard to review after seeing it once. This will likely bore the hell out of anyone that gives Avenger type movies 10 out of 10. Hell I almost turned it off. Then something hit me and I "got" it. Not sure if that makes sense. A huge part of me wouldn't recommend this to friends. Some of you know I lost my father. So it kinda touched that cord of my being. Anyways I give it an 8.5 out of 10. I think. :lol

I'm still trying to figure out what I'd grade this movie. I wanted to shut it off a few times but it's like I had to see it through. Once I was done I was like "what was that", but sorta liked it :lol It's very different, I'll give it that. Sorry about your dad by the way.

Interesting. Well, I think I can try to make sense of my stance on how I look at movies the way I do (not that I’m sure you care).

1) When I give a movie a score, the score very rarely changes. If I give a movie a 7 the first time, it tends to stay a 7 even after repeated viewings.

2) I tend to score movies based on my enjoyment of them in relation to every other movie I see in a given year. The score is not absolute when compared to every movie I have ever seen. A movie that would be near the top one year might not be anywhere near the top in a year with better movies and thus the score would be affected by it being compared to the other, better movies. A 10 might be a 9 in a different year because there are better movies to compare it to in that year.

3) When I compare movies, the scores can change if they are two completely different type of movies. A comedy I give a 9 to is not the equivalent to a drama with a 9. If I want to laugh or just watch a mindless action movie, there are some that are perfect movies that I would give a 10 to achieve that goal. If I want to watch something deeper or more mentally engaging, I would chose something different that would also be a 10. When comparing the action or horror movie to a movie that actually has a deeper message, the scores will be different. While I think The Big Lebowski is incredibly enjoyable and would give it, as a comedy, a 10, but directly comparing it to something like The Seventh Seal or Army of Shadows and then asking for what score I would give TBL, it would be lower because the other 2 movies have more to say than TBL.

Realistically, I give about a half dozen or so 10s a year, which adds up to quite a bit, but if asked which movies were 10s over the course of the entire history of film, there would be a very small group that would not included most of the ones I have given 10s to over the years.

Does that make anymore sense? Either way, rant over :D

Avengers: 7/10

Good movie, but not up to the "10/10" praise I've seen heaped on it in my eyes.

A movie that you score a 6 is going to remain a 6 regardless of what you compare it to or how many other movies you watch for the rest of your life.
Logically, the only way that is possible is if you have either seen the entire spectrum of possible movies (which really is not possible), or if you change your scale. Otherwise, if you see a movie better than any movie you have ever known, and if you previously gave a movie a 10, then you would have to rank this new movie as a 12 or 15 or something to keep the old movie you are referring to as a 6. But in any case, my point was simply one of your misusing a word. But people do it all the time so it doesn't really matter.

The Sitter - 4/10

The Vow 7/10 (as a guy, I probably should not have liked it, but I did. oh well)

Back