RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rate The Last Movie You Watched.

I've heard a lot of people say they loved it. If you don't mind answering ... what'd you find so great about it?

It struck me as a very regional movie, with very regional humor. No Country, which was great, was also pretty regional. But, I'm a native Texan, and married to a girl from Midland, so No Country is set in a region I easily understand. Fargo almost seemed foreign in that respect.

SnakeDoc

I think Entity answered it pretty well. My reason would be an amazing score (damn original) beautiful photography and the power of great suspense through story writing. People tend to brag about a film being original but most films aren't close to that. This film was about as clean and creative as they come. Yeah the story leaves you on a low but I appreciate movies for how they're made. Maybe more the little things.

That and I live in a ****ing cold climate so I could relate :lol

The characters make the movie. I'm a big character fan. The better the characters, the more I genuinely love the film.

Fargo is one of my favorites for that reason.

Definitely, the atmosphere in the remake was a LOT better than in the original. The original had too many bright rooms with an overkill of fluorescent lamps IMO.

I think the power of this film lies in the combination of a lot of factors; You got a good story, although perhaps not the most original. But the characters that form this story are in fact very original. I think they are all great. You've got your typical roles, the good guys and the bad guys, but it's the quirkiness in all of them that makes them great;

Marge Gunderson; the pregnant heroine of the story.
Jerry Lundegaard; the quirky maybe even clumsy carsalesman with some of the best quotes; "Ya darn tootin'!"
Gaear Grimsrud; the intimidating, silent kidnapper who is dangerous and somewhat of a loose cannon, but rather seems to want to watch TV all day.
Carl Showalter; He's probably one of the more conventional characters, but no less interesting. He's the funny looking guy who some may look upon as easy to manipulate and weak; but he's dangerous when it comes to it.

Add to that a great number of funny side-characters like Norm Gunderson, Mike Yanagita (and the best one) Mr. Mohra, and you get a very interesting and new take on a good story, making it great.

There is also the setting. I love the desolation of this winter-wonder-land in which the story is set. When we get snow and I look out on the snow covered fields and meadows; I always play this tune in my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4NCC0dUXks

This music btw is also amazing IMO, and it fits the story perfectly.

So this is why I love Fargo as much as I do. It's just a quirky film, that differentiates itself from others through some highly original and interesting characters, a great setting and an amazing soundtrack. :)

I'm from the Netherlands, never been to Fargo or the US for that matter, but for some reason I can relate to the whole region and setting. Perhaps it's the more rural aspect.

I'm from North Dakota. And I have always wondered if they were trying to be serious with the depiction of the characters in that film or if it was supposed to be a comedy that failed.

I have accepted that it is a comedy that failed.:)

Gangster Squad - 6.5 out of 10

Great cast, great production value/sets, wardrobe, and lighting. Amazing filming. Unfortunately the script and writing/dialogue takes it down a few notches from being the great gangster film to a good one.

Machine Gun Preacher: 8.5/10

Really good movie, and not as preachy as I thought it might have been.

Last night I watched a blu-ray double feature of:

The Empire Strikes Back (Harmy 1980 version)

and

Aliens

Both 10/10 movies IMO. They were my absolute 1 and 2 favorite films all the way until the LOTR. It was really nice to watch them both back to back as I did *so* many times in the 90's. Even after the LOTR, Avatar, TDK trilogy and Marvel Phase I they are still such great, great films.

200px-Venus_de_Milo_Louvre_Ma399_n4.jpg

Back