Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gentlemen,
I want to take a moment if I might and just say "THANK YOU" to all of you.
I started this thread quite some time ago in a somewhat selfish manner of just keeping a childhood dream of having a complete 1:6 ape collection alive. There aren't a ton of folks who really contribute here on a regular basis. As a matter of fact I'm not sure if anyone from Sideshow has looked in here in a very long time. I'm not even sure the moderators care what we do here. But the guys who are here, the core of this thread, are beautiful. We're following an abandoned license. Not a mega bucks license, but a beloved one. Now I know that the "masters" of these boards, Les Walker and Josh "DarkArtist81" Church, Mike Padgett as well as many others have lengthened the Zombie line, redefined the Terminator and ALIeNS lines and added some great new sculpts, some resculpts and weaponry to these and the Star Wars line. These guys are great and I am proud to have some of their work in my collection. But outside of the occasional pass thru these posts, we are without them. Yet, this thread has stayed near the front page since its inception. And we have developed our own "masters" dedicated to doing just what this thread was intended to do. To do what Sideshow decided not to do. Deliver more apes and ape accessories unto us. I started out offering an Urko sculpt to the thread patrons as a beginning but you guys have taken this way further than I could have ever imagined. Hell, we've seen Alpha Omega bombs, ape wagons, Lawgivers, council chairs and tables, new, more authentic costumes, new and accurate sculpts, more weapons and accessories. If Sideshow were to come back into this thread they would see just what may have been as I am sure if some of these wonderful "customs" had been offered originally they would have done well. We seem to be on the brink of bringing just about everything that we could want to one another. I am proud to have the people here as friends. When everything else seems too depressing to even go on, its nice to come in and read about what's new and forthcoming. It never fails to put a smile on my face. So, once again, THANK YOU!

Gentlemen,
I want to take a moment if I might and just say "THANK YOU" to all of you.
I started this thread quite some time ago in a somewhat selfish manner of just keeping a childhood dream of having a complete 1:6 ape collection alive. There aren't a ton of folks who really contribute here on a regular basis. As a matter of fact I'm not sure if anyone from Sideshow has looked in here in a very long time. I'm not even sure the moderators care what we do here. But the guys who are here, the core of this thread, are beautiful. We're following an abandoned license. Not a mega bucks license, but a beloved one. Now I know that the "masters" of these boards, Les Walker and Josh "DarkArtist81" Church, Mike Padgett as well as many others have lengthened the Zombie line, redefined the Terminator and ALIeNS lines and added some great new sculpts, some resculpts and weaponry to these and the Star Wars line. These guys are great and I am proud to have some of their work in my collection. But outside of the occasional pass thru these posts, we are without them. Yet, this thread has stayed near the front page since its inception. And we have developed our own "masters" dedicated to doing just what this thread was intended to do. To do what Sideshow decided not to do. Deliver more apes and ape accessories unto us. I started out offering an Urko sculpt to the thread patrons as a beginning but you guys have taken this way further than I could have ever imagined. Hell, we've seen Alpha Omega bombs, ape wagons, Lawgivers, council chairs and tables, new, more authentic costumes, new and accurate sculpts, more weapons and accessories. If Sideshow were to come back into this thread they would see just what may have been as I am sure if some of these wonderful "customs" had been offered originally they would have done well. We seem to be on the brink of bringing just about everything that we could want to one another. I am proud to have the people here as friends. When everything else seems too depressing to even go on, its nice to come in and read about what's new and forthcoming. It never fails to put a smile on my face. So, once again, THANK YOU!

Ironman this is the best thread on this board. I check it daily even if I have nothing to contribute. Everyone that posts here seem totally cool. I'm a huge PotA fan and enjoy for the most part being a fly on the wall for it. Thanks for starting it.
Shaun-o

Hey Angel! I remember when you and your wife were doing that "Frank" project. This is the first time I saw the pictures though. Very well done!:monkey1

Very nice speech back there Steve. This place is home away from home.
If I had to grab only one figure, it would be my Mutant Jailer, but If I had a gorilla in red jumpsuit from Conquest, it'd be that one for sure!

I-man...

You shouldn't be thanking us, we should be thanking you for starting this thread! Everyone here on this thread are the nicest people. When I first started interacting with you guys, I figured one or two posts and I'd be done.

Well here it is almost a year later and I wouldn't think of letting a day go by without checking in at least once or twice.

Thanks I-man for getting the thread started for us all!!!!

That's it? I thought he was like 6' 2"!

Good luck with that new job JJ. I hope it's one you really enjoy. Here's wishing you all the best![/B][/COLOR]

Thanks for the words of encouragement buddy! I can handle the actual work fine but I found their way of doing scheduling, payroll, timesheets, etc. daunting!

I can't find my way around yet, I can't log onto their computer system at all, and I don't know where to go to a new assignment or when to go. The whole system is paperless. I find it alien to say the least! On top of that the schedule changes throughout the day. Without being able to log in yet I feel I'm completly in the dark.

Other than that... It's really monkey work, even for a chimp like me!

I'll be going to sleep now... ZZZZzzzz...

Last edited:
ANG - I'm grabbing the twins. Original props can't be replaced. The little white packets on the floor are moth balls.

Man... I love your monkeys, Snick!!! :monkey5

Boy, I've always wanted to collect POTA props... but my wallet has never been the size of my desires. The next best thing is to visit them every once in awhile (see my pictures of the Sci-Fi Museum) :monkey3

I have picked up a few higher end pieces over the years (some I've already posted here somewhere in this massive thread) that I've recently taken new pics of... I can't really pic one. :monkey2

img0902xg6.jpg

My little corner of Ape haven.... A Morton Haack Preproduction painting, The Sideshow Lawgiver Pre-production Prototype and a set of original Chimp sleeve glyphs (maybe I'll complete the costume one day)

img0904cq9.jpg

Again, my Lawgiver prototype (it's made of solid resin and signed by Heath Hammond) and my Dr. Zaius with a POTA stand signed by Mat Falls. He signed it "To Michael - Go Ape, Baby!"

img0909oa7.jpg

Close-Up of the Chimp Sleeves Gylphs

img0910sg1.jpg

Original Pencil Sketch of Dr. Zaius for "Return to the Planet of the Apes"

img0912qy6.jpg

Pencil Sketch from the POTA Simpsons spoof

img0930fq8.jpg

My Apemania Caesar Head casting with Bronze plate

img0927tf7.jpg

My silicone casting of the Julius Appliance

Last edited:
Yeah, this thread as been my home at the Freak Board for over two years ... it also provided a warm shelter during the Great Kurgan Uprising of '06! :D

It's the first thread I visit when I log in and usually the last one I visit before I leave... just in case someone posted something new. Although I don't post as much as I used to, I've been enjoying the influx of new blood in thread and the custom work that is shared all around.

Keep in up APES!!! :monkey5:monkey5:monkey5

While I had the camera out I snapped some more pic of my stuff:

img0915qc5.jpg

img0943tk9.jpg

img0950in0.jpg

img0955us5.jpg

img0952qt0.jpg

Now that is a very classy collection of ape memorabilia PZ! Thanks for sharing it with us. Just goes to prove that we can have many other things in our collections. Your room looks like a art museum. I really like the diversity of your collection. I truly like that Caesar Plaque and the orangutan picture hanging on the wall.

Inkworks had some great cards in their collection, that’s were I first saw that orangutan print you have framed. There are several cards released from Inkworks that really catch my eye. Where did you ever locate that print?

PROTO - You have a great collection and tastefully decorated too.

ANG - Can you send me to the page number that your Urko head is posted on?

SNICK - I actually traded Ironman a red gorilla flag from the TV series for the Urko head. (I think that's right - we've traded so many things.) Ironman gave a Urko head that was made of a soft and sticky rubber-like material. This head wouldn't hold paint what-so-ever. I merely made a RTV mold and I'm about to cast it in resin for my collection. If you've seen his Urko, then you've seen mine. It's the same one.

JOM - Definetly encourage your wife to make the Mutant costumes. With ANG's Fat Man head on the horizon she might be able to make a couple of bucks while filling a niche in our collections.

No, No, No, No, No...

I make any and all clothes that I have pictured.

It is Angel that has had his wife help him in the past with all things pertaining to sewing.

Thus, he is not a member of the sewing circle as of yet...

There goes that JANGEL again!

Angel, count me in for a Huston Lawgiver.
It just might be a bit for the funds to come in to me. And don't ****can the whole head project just because/if this one doesn't do as well as you hoped. Hell, I still haven't recouped the money I put into Urko but the POTA project still rolls on.

Now that is a very classy collection of ape memorabilia PZ! Thanks for sharing it with us. Just goes to prove that we can have many other things in our collections. Your room looks like a art museum. I really like the diversity of your collection. I truly like that Caesar Plaque and the orangutan picture hanging on the wall.

Inkworks had some great cards in their collection, that’s were I first saw that orangutan print you have framed. There are several cards released from Inkworks that really catch my eye. Where did you ever locate that print?

The drawing is an original one-of-a-kind sketch from the first film's production designer Morton Haack, who was nominated for an Oscar for his work on the film. Morton created a HUGE portfolio of possible Ape attire before settling on the design used in the film. My drawing is of one of the early concepts for the Chimp costume. You can actually see my drawing being looked at by the production staff in the vintage making of documentary for POTA which is available on the Behind the Planet of the Apes DVD. :D

I bought it years back on Ebay. The seller had a few original POTA drawings for sale (unfortunately, no orangutans :monkey2)... pictures of them are the ones posted below. I ended up buying the drawing for about a tenth of what it was actually worth. The drawings that didn't sell on Ebay, the seller turned around and sold them to the Profiles in History, an auction house that deals mainly in Hollywood Movie props. He got significantly more for them there.

Here's mine as it was listed:

mortonhaackmalechimpdrauv4.png

Here's a Female Chimp... I almost bought this one as well (I thought it would have made a nice companion piece to mine) but I, alas, I knew I really couldn't afford both:

mortonhaackfemalechimpdrq8.png

femalechimpdrawing1zo5.png

Here's another female Chimp. This auction price was already way over my limit when I first saw it. The image is a little closer to the final film version:

mortonhaackziradrawing1eo5.png

Here's Taylor:

mortonhaacktaylorcd5.png

mortonhaacktaylordrawinzm8.png

Here's Nova and Primative. Note... Nova appears blonde like she appears in the original novel... and topless :rolleyes::

mortonhaacknovaandhumanna6.png

Back