Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Angel, now that I'm back on track financially do you have an other commissioned work that you'd be willing to take on?

Ape Chairs, open ape mouth, Mutant robes, Mutant bust, ape wagon? :monkey5

I know you're busy now, so time is not an issue.

Sure, I can take on some commissioned work for you STICKS. [Ape Chairs, open ape mouthes, Mutant bust, ape wagon, etc.] I can't promise you any of the robes though. Denise is in control of that. She still has three more to make for my belated Christmas gift. Beyond that, I don't think she really wants to make any more. Make her an offer and see where it goes from there. It's her time, not mine. She's already way to involved with too many projects, chores, work and other functions around here. She never sits idle. She's always on the move.

Let's talk about what you want.

Thanks a bunch IM. That was it. I love the Dr.Z card.

In my best Eli Wallach voice, "It's Angel eyes!"

Awesome Angel, thanks a bunch.

I can totally understand regarding the robes, your wife deserves some time off. Maybe another time. Depending how much material you have left over, can I maybe get a swatch? I can see if any fabric store around here has that, or can get that material, and color because you nailed it. But this would be the last on my list, so no worries. I really like what you and Jom discussed with using splattered solder.

For the long haul I am in for a wagon. Also, for my western scene how difficult would it be for a simple covered wagon?
wagon-wheel_1982_33175399.gif
I think I remember you and KFog discussing wagon wheels. Is their a place that makes these? I want to pick up a few of those that I can battle damage or add for backdrops maybe on a saloon wall. But like I said everything on your schedule.

So, for sure:
Ape Wagon
3 open Ape heads that I can send.
1 Mutant bust. Did you use the mask from the mutant leader for that mutant bust? I can send you a mask.
2 chairs, and maybe an autopsy table?

village.jpg

I think I'm going to try an interior dio, something small but fun like these;
ZauisCardArt.jpg
ZiraCardArt.jpg

GalenCardArt.jpg

Think about the time, and energy and I will send you the funds. Within maybe two weeks ok?

Last edited:
I really like what you and Jom discussed with using splattered solder.

Stickman, can you please elaborate? I was out of the loop regarding splattered solder. Oh, never mind. I found the posts. Has anybody tried using 3D paint to create those embellishments? Angel, what was it you used to create those final embellishments?

Last night I stayed up late AGAIN...because I got caught up in making a rifle for my Mego Ursus. For the barrel I used the inside of a used up gel pen, and for the handle, I used clay which I toasted in the oven. I slapped it together and painted it, and put a leather strap. It's not EXACTLY like the one on the SimianArms website, but it's close enough. It will have to do for now because I have to sew up a rifle holster after I review some photos of how they look. The rifle/holster is part of the General Ursus portrait. My General Ursus is almost done! I am still waiting for a pair of new hands to come so that I could replace what's on him now, sew his gauntlet, and make a bridle for the horse. Then I'll show you guys.

Thanks, Jess.

Last edited:
I really like what you and Jom discussed with using splattered solder.

Stickman, can you please elaborate? I was out of the loop regarding splattered solder. Oh, never mind. I found the posts. Has anybody tried using 3D paint to create those embellishments? Angel, what was it you used to create those final embellishments?

Last night I stayed up late AGAIN...because I got caught up in making a rifle for my Mego Ursus. For the barrel I used the inside of a used up gel pen, and for the handle, I used clay which I toasted in the oven. I slapped it together and painted it, and put a leather strap. It's not EXACTLY like the one on the SimianArms website, but it's close enough. It will have to do for now because I have to sew up a rifle holster after I review some photos of how they look. The rifle/holster is part of the General Ursus portrait. My General Ursus is almost done! I am still waiting for a pair of new hands to come so that I could replace what's on him now, sew his gauntlet, and make a bridle for the horse. Then I'll show you guys.

Thanks, Jess.

That sounds terrific Jessica. I can't wait to see the photos. By any chance are you going to be interested in the POTA figures if Diamond Select, which I hear they are, release them? In case you don't know what I'm talking about, they are a company that are reissuing some of the Mego lines. Right now they are releasing the Star Trek series. I wonder if they are going to release retro play sets as well.

From a fellow Insomniac my heart goes out to you. I'm very lucky if I get six hours. I'm on so many tranquilizers, and they still don't help. :monkey2

I will be purchasing some POTA figures--probably just one ape soldier to replace the one I am now using for General Ursus...and maybe another Cornelius. I am thinking about getting the Star Trek ones, but I haven't plunked down anything for them yet.

Check out the rifle I made last night, guys:

IMG_2111.JPG

Here is a closeup of my Mego General Ursus. It's my first paint job as far as faces, and I tried very hard to emulate Ironman's ape (thank you very much for the closeup, Ironman. I know it helped me A LOT with this project). And a special thank you to Matt S. who helped me through the process. It's not really an "official portrait" but I wanted to show you the paint treatment. I kinda like it...but let me know what you think.

IMG_2140.JPG

Last edited:
Jess, you did a great job on that gun. It looks like an ape shotgun with that barrel! I like the leatherwork, the metal clasps, that paint job makes it look like wood grain. I do like it’s overall ruggedness. Nice job.

Good morning all.:D:confused: after hearing of Jessica's all night affair I had to take my medicine and finally just woke up again. I'm trying to coarse my body to falling asleep at night and not when it wants to. :rolleyes:

I like the rifle a lot Jessica. I think you did a very good job. I also like the paint job on your Ursus.

Angel a resin cast of the wagon would be great. I don't think I've dealt with resin but I believe if you trust in it, it's good enough for me. Question, would the wheels still move and the door still open? If so, lets do. :monkey5 $400. is fine.

I thought I could send just three gorilla soldiers heads to have them growling or open mouthed like you have them.

I do have some old sculpee:
sculpee.jpg

Is this what you used for the teeth?

Last edited:
Jess, the Ursus head looks great. How about some full body shots like in Beneath? Any chance those ape rifles could be made in 1:6? They'd look great in any garrison!

Jess, you did a great job on that gun. It looks like an ape shotgun with that barrel! I like the leatherwork, the metal clasps, that paint job makes it look like wood grain. I do like it’s overall ruggedness. Nice job.

Jess..

I have nothing to add to what Angel said. I agree 100% to his critique.

Here is a closeup of my Mego General Ursus. It's my first paint job as far as faces, and I tried very hard to emulate Ironman's ape (thank you very much for the closeup, Ironman. I know it helped me A LOT with this project). And a special thank you to Matt S. who helped me through the process. It's not really an "official portrait" but I wanted to show you the paint treatment. I kinda like it...but let me know what you think.

IMG_2140.JPG

I think you did a fine job with the painting of the good General. The Mego sculpt is lacking and is not up to todays standards. I would love to see before and after shots of what Ursus looked like and what you have done to him. I'm sure it is quite a contrast!

I will be sending them soon, Angel. I wish I could send you the Nova costume with the heads, and maybe I will, if time permits. Then you could paint the Jeff Corey "Caspy" mask eyes at the same time as the other two. In fact that is what I'll do...

I'll send it all together, that way it will force me to begin work on that costume in order to get the "Caspy".

It sounds like a plan to me!

Sticks - Here’s a picture of the Mendez Bust on an unpainted pedestal that I can do for you as well.

The Mendez bust also looks amazing. From what you've been telling me about molds, this is all so exciting! You were right about that Monty Python Bridge Keeper. He looks like he belongs to the POTA line. I will need to find on of those. I'm glad he wasn't so popular because he is perfect for a savage human.

Back