Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea regarding the washcloths...I was eyeing my husband's old polo shirt--Wonder if he would even miss it? Just haven't cut it up because I don't think it will fray well as it is an interlock knit weave.

I was trolling through Ebay the other day and found this picture of Zaius in all of his "glyph" glory.

zaiusglyphsdb4.jpg

Here is a shot of the Virdon head painted. BTW, I need to dust. :mad:

PZ - Thx for the glyph shot. I'm still working on my Zaius. I have one sleeve done and one sleeve to go.

JESS - Knitting Burke's shirt seems like a great idea. I'm glad you're doing the fugitive outfit as opposed to the Astronaut suit. I have a verbal commitment from a sculptor who is interested in creating the Pete Burke head.

I was reading through the very old posts again--There was nobody to chatter with, and very early on it seems that there was a lot of interest in Central City rooting for SS to create Burke and Virdon. Am I a dreamer when I think that the apes line will revive with new sculpts? There were some very clever banters regarding new characters and why. Anybody go back and reread this stuff? It's a treasure trove of information--from which specific bodies/heads to use and why. Is the SS ape, like Cornelius, slightly smaller than the standard SS figure? Do the humans stand a little taller? What about the female bodies compared to Zira--are they both the same height? Just curious...stuff that keeps my thoughts churning in the middle of the night.

Snick--I'm glad you think that knitting the top for the shirt is a good idea. I saw Angel's screenshots--and I swear it looks like it was a knit. I have seen fabric with such a weave but it would be as stiff as cardboard and would not hang well. I seriously think knitting is the way to go. It would just be a simple stockinette stitch, stuff I could do in my sleep.

Am I a dreamer when I think that the apes line will revive with new sculpts?

I'm glad you think that knitting the top for the shirt is a good idea. I saw Angel's screenshots--and I swear it looks like it was a knit. I have seen fabric with such a weave but it would be as stiff as cardboard and would not hang well. I seriously think knitting is the way to go. It would just be a simple stockinette stitch, stuff I could do in my sleep.

If you were to knit the outfit would it still look 1:6? I'm not familiar with the stockinette stitch. Judging by your work with Zira this question shouldn't be asked because you know what you speak of.

I'm with you, I think SS will start the POTA line up at any time. It's one of my reservations about having Burke sculpted. Virdon was sculpted 8 years ago.

Snick, I would only knit the blue top. Stockinette is everywhere--look at a pair of socks and where it's not ribbed, that's stockinette.

As far as making sure it's 1/6 scale, I just have to find the right color and weight of yarn. I already have size 0 needles.

stockinette-front.jpg

here is a drawing of the stitches:
learnToKnit19b.jpg

Hey! I just got an idea! I'm going to look at Ross today (maybe) and check out their socks. I may find just what I need for that shirt!

PZ, forgot to thank you for posting that photo.

Snick--that head sculpt looks creepy! He looks like he's about to blink. It's freaking me out. It's great!

Last edited:
Hey! I just got an idea! I'm going to look at Ross today (maybe) and check out their socks. I may find just what I need for that shirt!

Snick--that head sculpt looks creepy! He looks like he's about to blink. It's freaking me out. It's great!

Thx for the pix and the comment. That sock material looks great. Years ago I made a Burke figure and used the under shirt from a 1:6 Tusken Raider. The outfit looked great but the sculpt was terrible.

Any ideas on Virdon's shirt?

Virdon's shirt looks easier to find. I have not come across the perfect color, but I know that they sell crinkle cotton that has the right texture for it. I have been scouting for material now and have widened my horizons to womens clothing. That crinkle cotton was popular in the 80s and I see it occasionally on womens shirts.

Can't you use the Tusken Raider shirt again for Burke?

Angel, there are some new UK Lobby stills from the POTA group at Yahoo which would help with your project. I am attaching here:

13fb.jpg

76a8.jpg

Virdon's shirt looks easier to find. I have not come across the perfect color, but I know that they sell crinkle cotton that has the right texture for it. I have been scouting for material now and have widened my horizons to womens clothing. That crinkle cotton was popular in the 80s and I see it occasionally on womens shirts.

Can't you use the Tusken Raider shirt again for Burke?

When I tackle Burke I'd probably go with the Tusken Raider.

Luv the Beneath pix.

Thx for the "Crinkle Cotton" tip. I'll see what I can uncover.

Angel, there are some new UK Lobby stills from the POTA group at Yahoo which would help with your project. I am attaching here:

13fb.jpg

76a8.jpg

Oooooooo - Boy these pics are really good! These will be VERY helpful to me. I'd really like to have these actual lobby stills! Thank you very much Jess! I love these 2 pics!!!! Look at all that deatil in the railing! :love

Last edited:
The UK lobby sets for the Ape Saga were FAR superior to our domestic counterparts. The colors were so vibrant!

I don't know what these lobby cards are. How large are they? I have never seen them in person before.

Snick, if you find some of that crinkle cotton in the right color, will you purchase enough for me? I'll trade ya...

I don't know what these lobby cards are. How large are they? I have never seen them in person before.

They usually came in two sizes... 8" x 10" and 11" X 14"... although I don't remember seeing any UK cards in the larger size. In the old days of theaters, these photos there displayed in glass cases on the walls past the box office leading to the entry of the theater doors. I also saw them in outside poster cases in lieu of a poster. I remember waiting in line to see the featured film and lending up against the glass window staring at the photos of the movie I was about to see.

Thanks PZ. For some reason, I always thought they were as small as trading cards.

Angel, I just had a thought! For the detail of the railing, you could probably get those curlique things already pre-made. I think they sell them for fireplace mantles and such and are made of bare wood that you just glue. We used some simple ones for our mantle at our old house. You probably already knew that, but you know me and my trigger fingers--I get excited and I have to tell the whole world.

Last edited:
Back