Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometime I will repaint these I have, and post them, so I will be free to paint Apes anytime.

I've been waiting a long time for some insanely talented custom painter to do some simian work. :wacky

I can't wait to see how you tackle Zaius... who I think got the paint short staff (or is it shaft) the Sideshow line. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

I seen that "Julius" before... wasn't he part of a three figure garage kit called "Captured" or something like that? It had a decent sculpt of Slave Taylor and two Gorillas.

And Mandemus looks very cool indeed. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

The other gorilla is actually Julius. The gorilla that you're referring to might have come from a garage kit. Let me look around the house I might have an extra Mandemus for you.

KFOG - THX! BTW, I had Virdon's eyes repainted because I thought they were too blue also.

ALL - Have a good wknd! I'm going to be in and out and might not get a chance to check the thread.

The other gorilla is actually Julius. The gorilla that you're referring to might have come from a garage kit.

Here is the gorilla I was referring to in my last post. I believe it is 1:6 scale.

capturedgarageresinkit3fc3.jpg

And here is the rest of the kit:

capturedgarageresinkit2ar1.jpg

capturedgarageresinkithq1.jpg

Hey Proto! Is that Apes garage kit 1/6th scale? Pretty cool looking!:monkey5

Although I have personally not see it, I believe it is. I maybe wrong, but I seem to remember Ironman saying that he owned this one... but I may be not remembering correctly. :D

Hey Proto! Doesn't that version of Taylor belong in MAD magazine? He looks like a caricature of himself. Pretty funny looking facial features.:lol

Hey Proto! Doesn't that version of Taylor belong in MAD magazine? He looks like a caricature of himself. Pretty funny looking facial features.:lol

I agree... however, I saw this piece in the prototype stage (I've since lost the pics) and the sculpt looked amazing so it might just be the paint job.

I don't know if I first saw the gorillas and Taylor on this thread or on the internet...maybe even in the PotA yahoo groups folders.

Hey all! I have just read some back posts and would like to wish great health to all. Ironmans Wife, Adam, and all the rest. Always remember that health is first, this hobby second and that I will pray for everyones good health. Please have a safe and happy memorial day. Also, remember the Veterans who have lived and died so that we could have the freedom to express ourselves anyway we want. :D:banana:flag:flag:flag:fireworks:grouphug

Hey! Have I ever told everyone here that I am a Marine Corp veteran from 1984 to 1988?:flag

Why is it the people always paint the pants and sleeves of the gorilla costume brown. :google :google :google

I have a theory.
I think that particular color scheme was influenced by the Mego Soldier Apes.
I grew up with them and still kind of feel like the brown shirt/pants w/dark blue vest and gloves is the "correct" way they gorilla soldiers should look.

As much as I like the Sideshow gorillas, I still want to do a custom w/the old Mego color scheme.

Also, (and I have no proof whatsoever), I think many vintage products of that era were influenced by the Aurora models box art.

Ursus' purple and gold outfit on the box art shows up on other painted images of Ursus and is kind of reflected in the Mego version of Urko.
Same with Zaius' blue outfit. A number or Zaius items of the mid 70's seem to (pardon the pun) "ape" the model box art.

I'm not 100% certain if the model box art came before many of these items were produced, but I seem to remember the models being some of the earliest POTA items to come out.

-Ray

Back