Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. that sounds more than fair. Once I get the money together, I'd like to send you a couple of Zaius heads. The work you did on your Zaius is simply stunning. I like the fact that it is opened just slightly.

Still no word on my Lawgiver from my painter. :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

Thanks PZ - It was very difficult to paint the teeth of Zaius after that particular surgery you’re referring to. After painting the lower teeth, I celebrated with some loud “woo-hoos”. I was very happy it came out so well! Again, there were even more “woo-hoos” as I painted the upper teeth. (I was so proud of myself!)

FYI - I started some more surgery on two other Zaius heads last night. I'll post some pictures over the long the weekend, so that you’ll soon see what Zaius looks like with his mouth opened wider.

It seems to me, that Zaius has his mouth wide open, with his hand near his mouth, as he sees the bloody Lawgiver (on fire) during Beneath the POTA. I’m interested in seeing how this Sideshow head might look before my bloody Lawgiver Statue.

Proto, check back in over the weekend to see more…

Last edited:
I thought I had posted this but I don't see it showing up so ...here I go again:
That model of the gorillas and Taylor, if I recall correctly was done by the same person who did the model of the Beneath mutant standing, unmasked, next to the control panel. His name is Jeff Yagher, who sci-fi fans may recognize as the actor who portrayed Kyle Bates on the TV show "V". No, PZ, I don't own it but I did post both those kits some time ago when I fiorst discovered them I attempted to be able to purchase copies of the heads for use on figures as both kits are 1:6 but met with no luck.
Kfog, thanks for the well wishes. She seems to be doing much better.
As for the apes, I like the military feel of the black and brown.

Thanks PZ - It was very difficult to paint the teeth of Zaius after that particular surgery you’re referring to. After painting the lower teeth, I celebrated with some loud “woo-hoos”. I was very happy it came out so well! Again, there were even more “woo-hoos” as I painted the upper teeth. (I was so proud of myself!)

FYI - I started some more surgery on two other Zaius heads last night. I'll post some pictures over the long the weekend, so that you’ll soon see what Zaius looks like with his mouth opened wider.

It seems to me, that Zaius has his mouth wide open, with his hand near his mouth, as he sees the bloody Lawgiver (on fire) during Beneath the POTA. I’m interested in seeing how this Sideshow head might look before my bloody Lawgiver Statue.

Proto, check back in over the weekend to see more…

More Zaiuses are under the knife? Cool... I can't wait to see the results. :D

I would love to someday have an opened mouth Zaius with his hands holding an open scroll standing in front of the Lawgiver statue... like he was reading some particularly inspirational verse to an assembled throng of enraptured simians. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Angel, I must admit that I really really love what you did with Dr. Zaius--with his barely open mouth. I also love the way Caesar came out. Those two guys are awesome. I am wondering how Zira would look---but I have to study the face of the sculpt again to try to imagine it.

I thought I had posted this but I don't see it showing up so ...here I go again:
That model of the gorillas and Taylor, if I recall correctly was done by the same person who did the model of the Beneath mutant standing, unmasked, next to the control panel. His name is Jeff Yagher, who sci-fi fans may recognize as the actor who portrayed Kyle Bates on the TV show "V". No, PZ, I don't own it but I did post both those kits some time ago when I fiorst discovered them I attempted to be able to purchase copies of the heads for use on figures as both kits are 1:6 but met with no luck.
Kfog, thanks for the well wishes. She seems to be doing much better.
As for the apes, I like the military feel of the black and brown.

I'm sure that pictures of this model "ape"ear on this mammoth thread more than a few times. I just re-posted them because the one gorilla head Angel received from Snick reminded me of this kit.

And I was going to attribute the sculpt to Jeff in the original post... honest, but I, in the last minute, deleted that part of my posting. I wasn't 100% sure of my facts.

Only about 90%. And I hate being wrong. :D

I was hoping you would chime in with your recollections of the piece, Ironman.

And you did. :D

More Zaiuses are under the knife? Cool... I can't wait to see the results. :D

I would love to someday have an opened mouth Zaius with his hands holding an open scroll standing in front of the Lawgiver statue... like he was reading some particularly inspirational verse to an assembled throng of enraptured simians. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

PZ - I really like that idea of Zaius reading a scroll in front of the Lawgiver statue. That'll look great in your collection and in photos you post here.

Are you going away once again this weekend, or will you be visiting here with us in Ape City? I'm already looking forward to your comments. :angelsmil

No, PZ, I don't own it but I did post both those kits some time ago when I fiorst discovered them I attempted to be able to purchase copies of the heads for use on figures as both kits are 1:6 but met with no luck.

See... I HATE being wrong. :(

And the pictures you posted are probably the ones I've stored on my hard drive and back at Image Shack. :D

Angel, I must admit that I really really love what you did with Dr. Zaius--with his barely open mouth. I also love the way Caesar came out. Those two guys are awesome.

I am wondering how Zira would look---but I have to study the face of the sculpt again to try to imagine it.

If I open Ziras mouth, it can't be as opened wide like Caesar. Let’s face it, that would look silly on her. I'd like it opened a bit wider than that Zaius figure though… she was quite a talker.

Are you going away once again this weekend, or will you be visiting here with us in Ape City? I'm already looking forward to your comments. :angelsmil

I always work on the weekends... theater/cinema work is most busy on the weekends. And my wife always something on the family agenda for me to be a part of. But I will try to sneak online to take a peak at the photos. :D

Also, if there is any current movie posters you guys are itching to own please shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do. I can't promise anything, but I'd like to help out my fellow Ape brethren.

Last edited:
I have a theory.
I think that particular color scheme was influenced by the Mego Soldier Apes.
I grew up with them and still kind of feel like the brown shirt/pants w/dark blue vest and gloves is the "correct" way they gorilla soldiers should look.

As much as I like the Sideshow gorillas, I still want to do a custom w/the old Mego color scheme.

Also, (and I have no proof whatsoever), I think many vintage products of that era were influenced by the Aurora models box art.

Ursus' purple and gold outfit on the box art shows up on other painted images of Ursus and is kind of reflected in the Mego version of Urko.
Same with Zaius' blue outfit. A number or Zaius items of the mid 70's seem to (pardon the pun) "ape" the model box art.

I'm not 100% certain if the model box art came before many of these items were produced, but I seem to remember the models being some of the earliest POTA items to come out.

-Ray

I didn't think about that. Sure... I firmly believe that the influence of those Mego figures cannot be underestimated.

Generally speaking, source material from the movies weren't as readlily available back then (there was no video copies of the films to consult) so the images of the Mego color scheme became more pervasive.

Also, if there is any current movie posters you guys are itching to own please shoot me a PM and I'm see what I can do. I can't promise anything, but I'd like to help out my fellow Ape brethren.

Wow---really? I will have to think about this, and I will shoot you a PM. :banana

And I still like this head for my Virdon stand in:
LF00002Y-1.jpg

https://cgi.ebay.com/New-1-6-Action...ryZ27294QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I never knew that, Kfog. Congratulations, and thanks for making this country a safer place.

Hi Jess! Well, I guess at least one person here appreciates what our Veterans have done. Some people just take freedom for granted. Thanks!:flag

JESS - I'd be more than happy to cast Virdon.

I'm dying for Ada to make Burke. I've already contacted the Yahoo guy. He seems at a loss because of the $230 price.

Hi Chris! Who made that sculpt up anyway! Pretty nice one.:confused:

Back