Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I finally found my camera's battery charger, but I went to bed so late last night (1 AM)...that I really can't remember what I did with the dang battery!! Grrr....so I borrowed my dad's camera so I could show you how cool the background gorilla is becoming! His hair's not done yet, but he's getting there.

dec2008172-2.jpg

dec2008174.jpg

And here is Barlow's status:
dec2008176.jpg

Last edited:
So I finally found my camera's battery charger, but I went to bed so late last night (1 AM)...that I really can't remember what I did with the dang battery!! Grrr....so I borrowed my dad's camera so I could show you how cool the background gorilla is becoming! His hair's not done yet, but he's getting there.

dec2008172-2.jpg

dec2008174.jpg

And here is Barlow's status:
dec2008176.jpg

I can't wait to see Barlow Jess. He is one of my favorites! Are you going to make a custom Prefect outfit for him also?

I wished Hot Toys would have waited closer to their release date to release the pics of their Ape line. The wait is killing me!!!!!

I like the wait myself. It gives me time to save up and be ready for the sledgehammer to my bank account.

I like the wait myself. It gives me time to save up and be ready for the sledgehammer to my bank account.

Ain't that the truth, actually wish it was longer.

Jess, that gorilla looks great!! Count me in!! I have 10 of those Yamato bobies which should work great for apes ones i tighten them up a bit.

Me too. I really don't mind the wait. I am keeping myself busy with customizing and my costume for the time being. Have to put my nervous energies somewhere.

I took a hammer to my General Ursus, to re-do his hair. Luck again was on my side. I was able to whack off only that part of his head that I needed to re-do. I was going to sand it down with my metal file but it was taking too long. But even if I messed up his face, I would have happily re-done it. I have to remember not to build up his hair too much because of the helmet--don't want it to get so big. Maybe I can still reuse the Hasbro helmet or Angel's helmet. I'll see how it goes. I think his hair was getting too big earlier.

I also noticed that since I am right-handed, the left side of the sculpt's face is usually better than the right side. By the time I get to working on the left side of the sculpt's face, I am holding the head upside down and sculpting features/hair upside down. I wonder if other sculptors do that or is it just me. Kind of like a caterpillar starting on one end of the leaf and working on the edge to the other side.

dec2008177.jpg
dec2008178.jpg

dec2008187.jpg

Here is Barlow. I think once I fluff up his hair some more, he will look like what he is supposed to, most especially after he is painted. The back of his head and left side of his head still need hair fluffing though.
dec2008179.jpg
dec2008180.jpg

dec2008184.jpg
dec2008185.jpg

Last edited:
Where is everyone? I'm so bored at the saltmines!

Tonight I am going to start on the brown underdress for my 1/1 Zira outfit. I finally finished both sleeves that I rewove on a bias, so I need to create a dress to attach them to. Maybe I'll finish it tonight. Seems simple enough.

I finished my brown underdress with the exception of snaps and fitting the chimp sleeves on top. Wow. It's almost done, but I think I cut the dress too narrow so it's actually a hobble skirt. I may have to cut a slit through it...but I will see if it drives me nuts when I wear the chimp boots. The dress is 80% complete. Yay.

Now I have to sew the fake leather collar onto the green jacket. It would probably look/hang better if I put a lining, but I'm feeling lazy. I will see if I can stir up some energy for that.

Angel I am thinking that there's no need anymore to make ape sculpts now that Hot Toys is running with the ball. But...it's so darn fun. Worked a little on Barlow's hair (I really love to sculpt hair)!! tonight, and also added some hair onto Galen (from the TV series). I was waiting for the Apoxie to cure to the right consistency...and I forgot all about Galen! Lucky for me, I noticed before the Apoxie completely cured on Galen's head and I was able to scrape it off. That saves me from an hour of sanding with my metal rasp.

Angel I am thinking that there's no need anymore to make ape sculpts now that Hot Toys is running with the ball. But...it's so darn fun. Worked a little on Barlow's hair (I really love to sculpt hair)!! tonight, and also added some hair onto Galen (from the TV series). I was waiting for the Apoxie to cure to the right consistency...and I forgot all about Galen! Lucky for me, I noticed before the Apoxie completely cured on Galen's head and I was able to scrape it off. That saves me from an hour of sanding with my metal rasp.

Great work.

metal rasp?... You might need a tool similar to this:
https://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=10.8V+Lithium-ion+Cordless

I've worked on resin models for years and have a few versions of rotary tools and multiple attachments. It does save a lot of time.

Some of my projects:
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/album.php?u=5496

Have fun. :)

I wonder what Sideshows deal is. Still no pre-order for the Planet of the Apes Hot Toys! What gives Sideshow????????

I wonder what Sideshows deal is. Still no pre-order for the Planet of the Apes Hot Toys! What gives Sideshow????????

They weren't doing pre-orders during the holidays. The earliest we'll see anything would be in thursday's newsletter.

Great work.

metal rasp?... You might need a tool similar to this:
https://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=10.8V+Lithium-ion+Cordless

I've worked on resin models for years and have a few versions of rotary tools and multiple attachments. It does save a lot of time.

Some of my projects:
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/album.php?u=5496

Have fun. :)

Ooof...those models look great. Did you sculpt them all?

I do have a dremel now. I just have to climb up the kitchen counters to get it because my husband put it way up high so that the kids (probably me too) would not have easy access to it. :mad: So that's why I usually just whack off the dried Apoxie with a small hammer and chisel, or have at it with a metal file.

I guess we have to wait till Thursday night to get the news that SS will put these up for Pre-Order next week. Lame. I think I'm done with SS. They really don't carry anything I'm interested in anymore. I'm weaning back to the Historical side of collecting, and I think DiD, HT, and Soldier Story are my new companies in 09. Bye SideShow!! :wave:monkey2

I guess we have to wait till Thursday night to get the news that SS will put these up for Pre-Order next week. Lame. I think I'm done with SS. They really don't carry anything I'm interested in anymore. I'm weaning back to the Historical side of collecting, and I think DiD, HT, and Soldier Story are my new companies in 09. Bye SideShow!! :wave:monkey2

I agree Stickman! SS needs to either poop or get off the pot!:toilet_cl:Flush
The HT Apes have been on other sites for over a week now. I went to ABC direct. I may have to pay a little extra for shipping but at least I can get my order in. You would think SS would want to get in the market before the others scoop up all of the orders. Oh well, I guess since it isn't Star Wars or G.I. Joe, SS isn't interested. I don't know why SS is pushing G.I. Joe anyway. Ever since I was a kid, and when my brothers were kids, G.I. Joe was Hasbros baby.

Back