Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't know about that...never paid attention to PFs before. I am still hoping that Sideshow will fix that notch on the Dr. Zaius riding outfit and make sure the doll has complete legs. Why pay the premium price for something not entirely screen accurate?

I like this cute photo I found on Flickr:

427437278_939e89aa37.jpg

I wouldn't know about that...never paid attention to PFs before. I am still hoping that Sideshow will fix that notch on the Dr. Zaius riding outfit and make sure the doll has complete legs. Why pay the premium price for something not entirely screen accurate?

No hair either.Hot Toys looks 100% better.

The Sideshow Zaius PF sports THE BEST SCULPT OF ZAIUS EVER. It will be the sculpt of which all future Zaius sculpts will be judged.

For me that is enough reason to keep my order. It would be a bummer if Sideshow didn't fix the coat or add legs to the doll. But it is by no means a deal breaker... at least not for me. The coat flaw will most likely be facing the wall anyway. :rolleyes:

As for Hot Toys being better, we will see. Frankly I'm nervous about the use of real hair on Zaius. Of late, all of Hots Toys best sculpts have sculpted hair like recent Hellboy and Godfather figures. Will all of Hot Toys offerings in this line going to sport real hair? I've stated this before, I'm still not convinced that real hair was the way to go with these new apes. Only time will tell.

And to be honest, I'm not so sure that the Hot Toys gorilla head sculpt (I'm not talking Ursus here, he is perfect) is all that better than Sideshow's. Sure the Hot Toys gorilla doesn't suffer from the problem of rotocasting like the Sideshow gorilla. A bit of detail of Mat Falls original gorilla sculpt was lost in the process. But that process was used by Sideshow to try to cut costs and deliver a $40-$50 ape for a profit.

I just don't think that dollar for dollar the Hot Toys gorillas are that much better. Having said that, I still can't wait to get my hands on these gorillas... but I can't pretend that it isn't going to hurt financially. The improvement of the Hot Toyos gorillas in my eyes is not in the sculpt but in the costume. Perhaps I'll swap gorilla heads. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The Sideshow Zaius PF sports THE BEST SCULPT OF ZAIUS EVER. It will be the sculpt of which all future Zaius sculpts will be judged.

For me that is enough reason to keep my order. It would be a bummer if Sideshow didn't fix the coat or add legs to the doll. But it is by no means a deal breaker... at least not for me. The coat flaw will most likely be facing the wall anyway. :rolleyes:

As for Hot Toys being better, we will see. Frankly I'm nervous about the use of real hair on Zaius. Of late, all of Hots Toys best sculpts have sculpted hair like recent Hellboy and Godfather figures. Will all of Hot Toys offerings in this line going to sport real hair? I've stated this before, I'm still not convinced that real hair was the way to go with these new apes. Only time will tell.

And to be honest, I'm not so sure that the Hot Toys gorilla head sculpt (I'm not talking Ursus here, he is perfect) is all that better than Sideshow's. Sure the Hot Toys gorilla doesn't suffer from the problem of rotocasting like the Sideshow gorilla. A bit of detail of Mat Falls original gorilla sculpt was lost in the process. But that process was used by Sideshow to try to cut costs and deliver a $40-$50 ape for a profit.

I just don't think that dollar for dollar the Hot Toys gorillas are that much better. Having said that, I still can't wait to get my hands on these gorillas... but I can't pretend that it isn't going to hurt financially. The improvement of the Hot Toyos gorillas in my eyes is not in the sculpt but in the costume. Perhaps I'll swap gorilla heads. :rolleyes:

I am in total agreement with you regarding real hair on these Hot Toys apes, PZ. Once you start hairing...you gotta hair the rest of Ape City...and frankly I LOVE sculpted hair. I also totally agree that the Hot Toys gorillas is a step up regarding the costume, but I am not convinced by the sculpt. (Except the Hot Toys Ursus is totally freaking cream of the crop--he is purrrrrfect!!) I do prefer the Sideshow gorilla face over the Hot Toys gorilla face.

And yes, the PF Zaius looks fabulous!! With sculpted hair, he is excellent. Sideshow has captured the essense of Dr. Zaius. He is gorgeous...but the jacket being off and the doll legs missing is a deal breaker for me.

What sucks about the Hot Toys is the cost per figure. That really bites. I just can't bulk up an army of Hot Toys gorillas at all, not with my chimpchange.

Hey Jess, you aren't the only one monkeying around with puppets...
PICT0002-4.jpg

I've had this guy for about 3 years.The live little guy(Bob) apparently thought the puppet was pretty comfortable. Sadly, we lost the live little guy last July...PS

Wish me luck guys. I have costume major overhaul to do tonight, since I have done NOTHING (well, except maybe take more boudoir photos of a Mego doll). As soon as I am done with a custom jacket for this figure, I'm going to send her onto the next person. She will go through four customizers, each one adding something. The completed figure will then be a prize for a drawing at the MegoMuseum. Thought I'd participate this year. You really can't pose these Mego figures very well!! I hate that! You always get stuck with the same pose. Forgot to say that she came naked and headless, and I quickly patched together that pink outfit for the photo shoot.

MMcustom013.jpg

The scariest part of my Zira costume (the hair) is done. Wonder how it will look when it's put on...hopefully better than the last time.

Tonight I have to move up the shoulder seam by 2 or 3 inches on the green jacket and replace the front panel. Then tweak the fake leather collar by adjusting the angle of the front piece, move the darts around to be more visually pleasing. And sew the new inner sleeves.

I gave up trying to find my chimp boots. I'm sure it will show up when I don't need it anymore.

Tomorrow I want to glue on the makeup and take my time. YAY! I get to be in full ape regalia again! I always have fun in a costume, especially a Planet of the Apes costume!!

Wow. I'm wearing my Zira appliances now (just kinda glued it on but not all the way)...to test out my new hairdo. It's so fun to wear! I have to take it off now but I don't want to. I am not going to re-do my green outfit. Too late now. If I mess up I'd have to start over. I'm just going to replace the green panel...do something easy...and also the sleeve lining and that's it. Tomorrow it's about getting the makeup as perfect as I can get.

Here I am at Baycon in Santa Clara today. The wig is better than the last time, but it's still kind of poofy so it's something I should adjust.

elevatorzira.jpg

You're such a cute little chimp. You really look like a little toy collectible! How about a Jessica sculpt in 1/6? :)

If you made her small enough, you could put her beside Quinton, Arno, Lil'Marcus and Caesar's son, Cornelius.

:lol:lol:lol I would have to really cut the body down so it's short like me!!

Here's another photo with the naked Mego figure I am going to help customize. What a total improvement on the hair and makeup!! The only problem was I had to purse my lips inside so that I wasn't slack-jawed, because of the way I glued down the chin. Live and learn though. I still looked good!!!

baycon2009015.jpg

Hello Jessica! You look Awsome! You are really getting good at this stuff. I could easily see You in a Planet of The Apes Movie. What would You name yourself?:cool::monkey1

What a talent! You look great! Perhaps one day you to go to a future comiccon in a green jumpsuit. You could walk around with a mop doing the floors or somethin'. :anya2

Last edited:
That's cold, Angel....funny, but cold.Looks great, Jess;pity we're on opposite ends of the country...PS

Back