Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Jess, how would one go about making/getting a legit gorilla soldier costume. I wouldn't even know where to begin. How could be get to go under the goo for creating a mask? Any and all info would be very helpful. Over time it would be cool to have a real gorilla costume.

Hello Jess, how would one go about making/getting a legit gorilla soldier costume. I wouldn't even know where to begin. How could be get to go under the goo for creating a mask? Any and all info would be very helpful. Over time it would be cool to have a real gorilla costume.

Hire a seamstress for the costume to make the bandolier, vest, gauntlets. There are a pair of PJs that come in that perfect gorilla plum, but they sell it in the UK. I'll gather the info and post it here.

Masks can be purchased from Apemania. They have deluxe pullovers that are quite comfortable to wear all day...pricey, but you can make your own or purchase from my friend Greg. Or you could buy a gorilla appliance that you glue down on your face. You can wear this all day and sweat through the appliances.

Matt Sotis sells the gorilla toes that you glue on top of boots...and you make your own buckles for the boots.

You can rig up your own gorilla club (Apemania sells these too) and the rifle can be made if you know someone who's got the tools.

And before you know it, instant gorilla!!!

The outfit is totally fantastic, especially the vest. The only thing is when you pose him in an action shot, the velcro unsticks to itself.

Any thoughts about removing the velcro strips and simply sew the vest shut?

That can be done, since it's already got the stitches on it--you can easily hide the new stitches.

But what if I need my gorilla to be naked? You guys know I have to play with my dollies.

PZ, I know you had mentioned that this will be your last year at SDCC. However, we are planning to get a whole bunch of apes to attend in full ape regalia at SDCC 2010. Including me and my two sons, there are about 8 apes that will be there in full ape reglia. The plan is to meet and hang out on Saturday at the con. I'm posting this news to all of the apes groups I belong to so that everyone can plan ahead (start gathering chimpchange for their flights, hotels, etc...) and even be in costume if they are brave and willing.

Angel you had mentioned that it going under the goo would be something to do once in your lifetime. I believe that this SDCC is the place to do it, since it is a high profile con. Can you please try to make it so that we can all meet finally?

Ironman and gang...let's all try to make it to SDCC, ok? Even if you are not in ape gear. I want all the movers and shakers of ape society to be there.

Going to SDCC every year for the last six years has been made possible by the generosity of my family members. It would not be possible otherwise. My brother has provided me with a free admission ticket to all four days and has paid for my hotel stay. My father has covered the plane fare. And my wife has taken the week off from work to entertain the kids during my absence. Everybody has gone above and beyond the call to make sure that I had a great time in San Diego every summer. I'm starting to feel really guilty about that.

It been a great run. I've seen lots of things over the years that I will never forget. But it is time to desolve the obligations that my family feels concerning my participation at this Con. The next time I go to this Con, it will be with me paying my own way. And I cannot see this happening anytime soon.

Sounds like some good fun for next year, Jess. It's a shame that I'm going to miss it.

Last edited:
That can be done, since it's already got the stitches on it--you can easily hide the new stitches.

But what if I need my gorilla to be naked? You guys know I have to play with my dollies.

I'm seriously considering this. I don't usually custom my figures (especially the expensive ones :horror) but if the velcro becomes a problem, I might just do this.

Besides, my apes rarely go naked. :D

I wonder what a Sideshow gorilla head would look like on the Hot Toys gorilla body... has anybody tried this yet? :confused:

Ironman - Goatees?! That would be a snap. Send them to me and I'll do it for you. Send me a few off those extra Planet of the Apes stands you mentioned as payment. Might use them someday. :cool:
You got it!! Thanks!!
I'm seriously considering this. I don't usually custom my figures (especially the expensive ones :horror) but if the velcro becomes a problem, I might just do this.

Besides, my apes rarely go naked. :D

I wonder what a Sideshow gorilla head would look like on the Hot Toys gorilla body... has anybody tried this yet? :confused:

:banghead Have to have my HT apes :banghead

Just beards for now, Thank you so much Angel, hopefully your new chimps will arrive today.

I can't wait to see what you're doing Jess, BTW have a very safe flight. We will all miss you, but will do our best to keep the fight alive!

Sticks: The 2 Chimps arrived today safe and sound. Man that Taylor head you sent looks just horrible! I hope I can improve him for you. He's a real train wreck. Cross you fingers on this guy.

How did you break the leg off that gorilla figure? Is that the one that fell off the shelf last year?

I'll keep you posted on fixing these two. Just wanted you know the package arrived. Thanks for the 2 chimps and the chimp shoes.

Sticks: The 2 Chimps arrived today safe and sound. Man that Taylor head you sent looks just horrible! I hope I can improve him for you. He's a real train wreck. Cross you fingers on this guy.

How did you break the leg off that gorilla figure? Is that the one that fell off the shelf last year?

I'll keep you posted on fixing these two. Just wanted you know the package arrived. Thanks for the 2 chimps and the chimp shoes.

You're more than welcome my friend!
Wow, that's a great memory Angel, Yes that's the poor gorilla that crashed landed in my living room last year.

You're right about the Taylor sculpt. I recently found three new Taylor heads and was able to use two right away, they are in the CW pics I posted with the Federal Marines and Union Sailor. You know, now that I found my lost Taylor sculpts, would you want that one? I'm sure you can fix him, as you are a Master. Maybe you can find some use for him? A backup Omega Man? I'm loving the bearded sculpts you're creating. So if you want you can keep the Train Wreck Taylor. :lol

It's so hot here, not as hot as where PZ is but still close enough. I had to dip my poor old cat under the faucet, ohhh he didn't like it then, but now, I think he's much more happy. :)

Hi Angel! I would love if you could add goatees, mustaches, and sideburns to my hispanic figures. They would make great Mexican soldiers! I also received my pink shirt for my Omega man and a brown sweater for an armondo today. I need to work on the omega man. Again, I will need to get going on finding what to trade to Stickman. I am hoping to get those figures in by tomorrow. I have a lot on my plate trying to get on with this Governmental Security firm (Cross your fingures for me folks). Pictures are sure to come!:horror

Oh, by the way! I do not know where Proto lives, but I would guess that it is a little hotter here in Phoenix than where he is. We have officially attained the hottest summer on record. So many days over 110 and many around 115 degrees. I have worked in 120 to 122 degree heat, not counting on a roof.:maul

O'kay! Who can come up with the craziest Emoticon image? Here is one!

:whip:moon:zzwhip:horror:whip:moon:emperor

It's so hot here, not as hot as where PZ is but still close enough. :)

It's killing me. I've got tons of yard work to do but I just bring myself to do it. And I have to go to work tonight at the theater... where the projection booth is NOT air conditioned but actually 5 degrees hotter than it is outside. :horror

And for the record, I'm from Portland, Oregon... a place where it rains so much most Oregonians have webbed feet. :D

I have to go to work tonight at the theater... where the projection booth is NOT air conditioned but actually 5 degrees hotter than it is outside. :horror

Wow, if you were working for IMAX they would shut you down. In order for the film to run it must always be around 70F and 50% humidity. Anything too hot or cold would cause static electricity and the film would attract all the dust particles in the room which would wreck havoc on the film stock.

You're more than welcome my friend!
Wow, that's a great memory Angel, Yes that's the poor gorilla that crashed landed in my living room last year.

You're right about the Taylor sculpt. I recently found three new Taylor heads and was able to use two right away, they are in the CW pics I posted with the Federal Marines and Union Sailor. You know, now that I found my lost Taylor sculpts, would you want that one? I'm sure you can fix him, as you are a Master. Maybe you can find some use for him? A backup Omega Man? I'm loving the bearded sculpts you're creating. So if you want you can keep the Train Wreck Taylor. :lol

Sticks: Sure, I'd love to keep the "beaten" Taylor head if you're certain about that! I thought you really wanted Taylor with a beard though. Do you already have Taylor with a beard?

Here's something else I'll do for you. I'll just keep the broken gorilla body and return the Sideshow body of Cornelius to you. That way, you can have an undamaged body for your gorilla. I don't move my figures around like you do. My apes strike a pose and then hold the pose for years at a time. I'm afraid the fixed leg will just fall off and disappoint you.

Last edited:
Sticks: My just apes strike a pose and then hold the pose for years at a time. I'm afraid the fixed leg will just fall off and disappoint you.

I couldn't do that, Angel. I play with my toys, as you guys have seen. Most of the time they are half naked and are piled up together at the moment, but I'm sure they love it. When I get a chance and can get cracking again on customizing, I've got to concentrate on just one figure and complete something and then start up photographing them again. I just have the most fun photographing them in action...and making it seem like they are 1:1 scale.

Sticks: Sure, I'd love to keep the "beaten" Taylor head if you're certain about that! I thought you really wanted Taylor with a beard though. Do you already have Taylor with a beard?

Here's something else I'll do for you. I'll just keep the broken gorilla body and return the Sideshow body of Cornelius to you. That way, you can have an undamaged body for your gorilla. I don't move my figures around like you do. My just apes strike a pose and then hold the pose for years at a time. I'm afraid the fixed leg will just fall off and disappoint you.

I have one more loose Taylor, so maybe I can send him to you next week? I would love to have him with a beard. I know the one I sent needs work (I think that is the Prisoner Taylor sculpt) I remember I was talking on the phone with you and he fell apart in my hand. :lol So YEs, you can keep him, just a little extra something I can share with my ape brethren.

That's awesome Angel. I hope to make a non SS Ape movie again soon, starring the new HT apes and the amazing slave wagon you created. So articulation is key. Much obliged. :D

I have done nothing all day but shuttle the kids back and forth. The house is in shambles and I have to shuttle them to piano practice in 45 minutes. I won't get home until late again. I will bring my knitting so that all my nervous energy could be channeled into something productive. What the hell did I accomplish today? Zip.

I could never play with all these apes. I have too many. That would be like telling Ironman to unbox 1,000 of his 1/6 action figures and have him play with all of them! It just can't be done.

Back