SHIN GODZILLA - Toho Studios To Return to Godzilla in 2016!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In depth review to come but for now, overall, most enjoyable film to come out of Toho since Biollante, overall quite fun and well paced, loved Godzilla, but in some ways it felt weaker as a movie than Godzilla 2014. Definitely a visual feast worth of the big screen.

First time in my life I experienced a round of applause at the start and end of a movie, so much Godzilla love in the theater.

As I expected, the characters were pretty impersonal, it felt almost like reality tv following around the government as Godzilla attacks. Cranston's short screen time gave more character depth to G2014.

OK, a few thoughts. Keep in mind, I had to try and make out a few of the subtitles. As I mentioned earlier, some of it was cut off along the bottom. So I might get some of this wrong. :lol

SPOILER ALERT so turn away now in 3.... 2.... 1....

The movie has a nice start with what appears to be blood spewing out of the ocean, creating a gigantic red circle in the middle of the water. Yes, guess who. :)
The government quickly gathers scientists, biologists, military, and other professionals to try and figure out WTF is going on. This segment was a bit too long in my opinion. But the main point is that everyone is baffled.
So once they figure out it's a living organism, a giant one!, they get the opinions of several sources on what it is. Again, this part carried on a little too long. A giant beast with a tail with a blood/chemical composition that's very strange. They say it's called the God Incarnate and eventually Gojira.
At this point here, no one in the story knows what this giant creature is, so I'm assuming that this movie is from the viewpoint that there has been no history of giant monster appearances. This reminded me of Gojira 1954, where the Big G makes his first appearance. In this movie here, this is the first appearance of a giant monster of any kind.

G gets out of the ocean and onto land and..... he's a f00king salamander with only hind legs. Hahahaa! His eyes are huge! I think it's because his head is small (still undeveloped) and the eyes are already at their normal size from birth to adult. Humans are the same way.
Anyway, he squirms around on the ground by pushing himself with those hind legs, occasionally standing up. When he does so, he looks like a Frilled Shark. No joke!

news-frilled-shark.jpg

The scientists eventually discover from running their tests and doing the research that G is able to mutate. The Big G does so, and in the process, grows the two front small limbs and a head more akin to what we see in the marketing material. His head is now much bigger and so the eyes are now relatively small.
This was pretty cool. Seeing G in different stages of development.

What I love about this 'new' Godzilla is how they portray his fire breath. We're use to seeing it as all-or-none. In this movie, it has several stages. The first stage is just a massive blow dryer. Think of Superman when he does his super-breath but without freezing things. It's very destructive to anything that's not rooted or cemented into the ground. Then, without any interruptions, all the air rushing out of his mouth ignites (very cool effect!) and becomes an orange flame breath. Similar to how we see Smaug breathe fire out of his mouth. Then, again without stopping and without interruptions, the fire turns to this purple laser like beam. The transition from flame to beam is accompanied by a high pitched tone. The tone is continuous, not pulsating, and I do believe this is the final stage. The atomic breath. When the G shuts it all down, the process reverses itself, but it is very quick. The purple beam, quickly turns to fire, which quickly turns to air and he closes his mouth.

What I didn't like, was that he is able to shoot the purple atomic beams (but a much smaller intensity than from his mouth) out of his back, between the dorsal spines. About 8 or 10 beams shooting upwards which he used to take care of any aerial threat. Also his tail. He was able to shoot a small purple beam from the tip of his tail as well.
Again, it seems like he was able to mutate his body to do whatever he needed to get done. I didn't care for those abilities at all.

Godzilla froze. I'm not sure why but he just stopped dead in his tracks and didn't move at all.

In the end, it was the scientists that were able to stop him (because we all know there's nothing the military can do to stop the G, but it's fun watching them try) and they did this by spraying a blood coagulant mixture into his mouth. This part was hilarious. They used about 6 unmanned cranes to administer the coagulant to his mouth and it looked like he was having his teeth cleaned by robotic dentists.

15412668-Close-up-of-open-mouth-at-dental-surgery-with-tools-Stock-Photo.jpg

And that's how they were able to stop him. For now.
It was weak. I mean, we saw G being bombarded by rockets, tank blasts, missles, bombs, etc. But in the end, science won out to show us brain over brawn.

Last edited:
And what happen to G? Like his physical body? Did it just fall dead so these Japanese get free sushi or just free meat to bar-b-q?

No spoilers here...

I really liked how they portrayed the viewpoint of the people in the sense of reacting to this threat (Godzilla).
You can sense the panic. The anxiety of not knowing what to expect at any given time.
Then after the attacks, the tension and anger of how to go about solving the problem. How do we respond? Do we attack and kill or do we capture and research? What do we use to do it? You can really feel these emotions with the way the camera followed a few of the cast.

This movie reminded me a lot of Gojira '54. Both movies demonstrate how people react when an unknown threat appears. How they respond and behave with the aftermath of the destruction. It shows that man makes mistakes but can also triumph.

Go check it out. You have 7 days left. :lol

And what happen to G? Like his physical body? Did it just fall dead so these Japanese get free sushi or just free meat to bar-b-q?

SPOILER ALERT.....

After the coag was administered, he dried up. LOL! Just stood there like he gazed into Medusa's eyes.

The oddest thing, and I hope someone has a theory, the absolute last frame of the movie before the credits rolled... they showed G's tail. Now, I've always thought that it was strange and a point of interest when I first saw the reveal months ago, but if you look closely, you'll see teeth. I don't want to say anything more than that because the final shot reveals something else. I just don't know what to make of it.

Saw Shin Godzilla tonight. Where Legendary failed, Toho succeeded -- but also vice versa.

The human story here is brilliantly shot and cut, a meditation on the pitfalls of bureaucracy and excessive formality. This is by far the strongest aspect of the film. Future Toho and Legendary ventures can and should learn from Anno as he makes rooms full of politicians more engaging than a soldier trying to reunite with his family. However, this is also satire. Not everyone will find it juicy.

As for the monster itself, this still doesn't feel like Godzilla to me. Not a bad idea for a kaiju, but it ain't Godzilla. Less like a "god" and more like a fish out of water that clumsily cleaves a city in two. Oh, and at one point a scientist hypothesizes that a future evolution of the Big G may sprout wings. While this doesn't happen, the fact that such a line is even uttered speaks volumes about the liberties taken.

Effects are a mixed bag; the CGI is tolerable in some cases and downright atrocious in others. Close-ups of the mouth reveal dry, unshaded tendons (one of the animators must have gone home early) and the teeth look like 3D cones rendered on Windows 95.

Perhaps more importantly, drama is also lacking. While the geopolitical world of the film feels massive and reactive, the shots featuring the titular monster decrease in dramatic weight as the movie progresses. Betting this is both a script and cinematography issue. Say what you will about Gareth Edwards' outing, but that man knows how to inspire awe with his creature features.

A final thought: even though there is slightly more Godzilla in this film than in Legendary's, I left feeling much more dissatisfied tonight. The ending gives new meaning to the word "anticlimactic;" instead of a real payoff, we get a single WTF shot that may very well carry metaphorical meaning, but falls flat due to lack of context and tonal consistency.

The experience was altogether forgettable. Entertaining, but not mind-blowing by any means. Here's to cheap tickets. :duff

Last edited:
SPOILER ALERT.....

After the coag was administered, he dried up. LOL! Just stood there like he gazed into Medusa's eyes.

The oddest thing, and I hope someone has a theory, the absolute last frame of the movie before the credits rolled... they showed G's tail. Now, I've always thought that it was strange and a point of interest when I first saw the reveal months ago, but if you look closely, you'll see teeth. I don't want to say anything more than that because the final shot reveals something else. I just don't know what to make of it.

Interesting, thx. Was supposed to see this like 10 hours ago. Will try to see it late, this evening.

Sounds exactly like what I was expecting. Which is fine if you know what you're getting into before the movie but if you are going to see a traditional Japan Godzilla fight fest you are going to be somewhat disappointed. This film is really geared toward the Japanese people so all of the political stuff that carries weight over there won't really hit home here. Now, if they made this a cautionary tale of our presidential race that has gotten out of control... I imagine something like War of The Gargantuas but with Trump and Clinton. Sadly though, no matter who wins america loses.

SHIN GODZILLA REVIEW - SPOILERS WITHIN

shingodzilla-funimation22.jpg

Summary

Overall Rating: 7/10

Shin Godzilla is a fast-paced, intense thrill ride of a film which takes cleverly crafted shots at a flawed government and boasts a strong message of strength for its native country while wowing us with the spectacle of a giant monster wreaking havoc through the capital and a series of nostalgic attempts at ridding the world of the threat of Godzilla.

Overall, I would not say any part of this film was bad. My impression of it was that it was an enjoyable film with a lot going for it, but similar to Godzilla 2014, there were areas that had potential to be something even more than what it was, and I would love to see a sequel keep the strengths of this film and add to them.

For those trying to get a sense of what sort of Godzilla film this feels like, I would say it’s a modern spin on a mid-60’s Showa era Godzilla film.

Strengths

For me, the biggest highlight of this movie was the CGI. Was it the best possible, certainly no, was it on par with the better efforts that come out of Hollywood, absolutely. Sure there were moments where it came off weaker than others, but overall it held up really well. Some of the areas where I’ve read others citing it as poor CGI, for me, were simply choices for how to animate the movement of Godzilla or a style to his transformation from one form to the next, but I don’t see these as signs that Toho can’t produce quality CGI, just choices by the filmmakers that may or may not sit well with you.

Another strength for me was the mix of visuals and music to capture everything that I loved about the Showa era. There’s just a quality to how Godzilla was shot destroying cities during that era of films and classic I***ube themes over them that just really defined Godzilla for me as a child and I would carry that with me to now in my thirties. I had seen Godzilla’s fourth form arrival on YouTube already, but being spoiled to that did not change the feeling that rushed over me when the shot of him out on the water hit the screen and the classic Godzilla theme started up, or when Form 3 when on his rampage to classic Gojira music and the destruction felt a lot like that film. The Heisei and Millennium eras had their share of introductions and destruction scenes, but they lacked something that seemed unique to the Showa era until now, clearly those qualities resonated with the filmmakers as they captured them perfectly here.

Speaking of music, I thought this was another highlight of the movie. On the album, the I***ube music sounds old and dated against the fresher Sagisu tracks, but at least in a theater setting, they were on an even plain to my ears, maybe on Blu Ray you’ll notice a difference. I felt the choices of what was used and when were just about perfect. Persecution of the Masses over the arrival of Form 2 was very fitting and provide great atmosphere, and the I***ube themes were inserted at appropriate times and moments where you’d have heard them in older films and used very well, much like in the Biollante score. The only point I felt like different music might have been of benefit would be putting something bleaker and more instrumental, less operatic than Who Will Know over the big atomic ray scene.

The final highlight for me was editing/pacing. They did a great job of keeping things moving at a healthy pace, and I really enjoyed the cutting back and forth between what people were doing and what was going on with Godzilla. With all the reports of his minimal screen time, I was concerned how it would play out but they way they cut him in makes you feel he’s there more than he actually is.

Weaknesses

So as I mentioned already, I wouldn’t call anything about the movie bad, but compared to the highlights, there are some weaker areas that have a lot of potential.

I will say this, there was one feature I would call bad and is something that could be rectified, it’s unlikely to be done for Blu Ray even, but time will tell. This is the subtitles. Unfortunately, due to the amount of Japanese subtitles to note characters and locations, there is often conflict of having these translated while also adding dialogue, which put text atop the screen and bottom and at times felt like it was covering the whole picture. With the heavy dialogue, I also felt at times like I was reading the movie so much, I wasn’t seeing the picture. A dub would be a great addition for Blu Ray to then reduce subs to only translating the character and location text, but again, unlikely, variations of sub options on the BR would be a nice option, however, also unlikely.

Now, as far as weaknesses, for me, the biggest was the lack of drama. The focus of the movie is the government responding to the crisis at hand. There is a lot of dialogue about looking out for Japan and protecting citizens, but very little is done to make you feel for the people in danger. We get shots of debris but no deaths or serious injury or a heavy sense of loss and despair that would add a feeling urgency. A key plot point is a 2 week window to evacuate, that's far more than most Godzilla films where there are only hours or even minutes, and the greater threat is US nuclear assault, not Godzilla reawakening. I just feel like a few small touches could have elevated this aspect of the film.

The other big weakness for me was the SFX. My nostalgic side enjoyed classic SFX, but my other side accepts them in the classic movies because that's what could be done at the time. I was excited to feel the stomps and booms of explosions with the theatrical experience and the sound felt flat. I also didn't like the matching of classic roars with Godzilla forms. The visuals with Form 3 against the ‘54 roars didn't work for me, it didn't feel like the right sound for that form, would have been perfect for Form 4. I'm not sure any classic roar would feel right, probably the 60s roar used for Form 4. The movie could have used a little more roaring from Godzilla, it's like a declaration of his dominance as he destroys the world.

Comparison to Gojira, Godzilla 1984 and Godzilla 2014

I know some people are sick of every movie getting compared to Gojira, but, in the whole franchise, Gojira, Godzilla 1984 and Shin Godzilla are the films most heavily used to make a sociopolitical statement in film with a giant monster movie as the vessel. I also add Godzilla 2014 in this mix as the two share a filmmaking approach, neither with a perfect execution.

I don't fault Shin Godzilla for focusing as much on the government as they did, it's clearly the intended focus. However, like Godzilla 2014, this movie feels so caught up in a faithful reproduction of the political process that it almost feels more like a documentary or reality tv than a cinematic story. They try to develop the characters with quick comments here and there implying back stories and motives, but those ideas seem left behind as quickly as they come up to dive back into the crisis handling.

To me, where Godzilla 2014, and Shin Godzilla even more so, went wrong in terms of feeling cinematic was having the core characters be affiliated with government or military. You have no connection to the people who are threatened by the existence of these creatures in the world, no sense of what the decisions made in the story really do to people.

For me, Gojira had a perfect balance of touching upon the political reaction to such an event and an engaging character mix, the key characters represented military, science and the common man and you had Emiko caught in the middle of all sides trying to deal with everything while getting a healthy taste of everyone’s POV. Even Godzilla 1984, while less compelling characters, feature a cinematic character dynamic woven into a mostly realistic depiction of global response to the threat.

Beyond the characters, one thing I found to be touched on, but fell short in both Godzilla 2014 and Shin Godzilla compared to Gojira is the depiction of the human consequence of kaiju existence.

Gojira evokes sympathy for a random child crying over a sick parent recovering after Godzilla’s attack and a woman and her children likely to be burnt to death in Godzilla’s wake. Godzilla 2014 and Shin Godzilla show people being rounded up for evacuation and crowding around shelters, but in Shin Godzilla, one of the biggest moments of that was in silence and music, no voices or cries, no one really showing dramatic expression of emotion over their turmoil and I just feel like seeing that would add a lot of punch to the effect the movie has on the audience.

Where Shin Godzilla did live up to Gojira is in making a strong statement about Japan’s current state and history and it’s a well made film in that regard, where Godzilla 2014 tried but was too subtle. If anything, I’d say Shin Godzilla went to heavy on making that statement and lost sight of what makes movies an escape from the things we face every day.

I understand why this movie was such a success in Japan, I can definitely see where folks there would find this film both a political message to rally behind and a fun monster flick in one, but for those whose daily life is not reflected here, I feel like there will be a mixed reception to how much they can enjoy the story. I enjoyed it, I wouldn’t rave about it, but I enjoyed it because I at least get where it’s coming from and what it’s trying to do and I appreciate all of it.

In closing, if you enjoy Godzilla movies, this is well worth seeing, it might not make your top 5 or even 10, but if you’re a fan who enjoys the 60+ year body of films from the best of the best to the worst of the worst, this is likely to at least fall somewhere in the middle. I’d be shocked if a large number of fans classified this as one of the worst Godzilla movies.

And short note, none of the spoiling of this movie i did impacted my enjoyment, nor did I find myself wishing I hadn't spoiled things, it all felt fresh.

So here are my current top fives.

MOVIES

1. Gojira
2. Godzilla 1984
3. Godzilla 2014
4. Godzilla vs Biollante
5. Shin Godzilla

And those are also my top 5 designs, love Shin Godzilla and even his evolutionary stages.

That's good to hear, 6 hours to go for me.
Enjoy it bud!

Sorry to tell you, at no part of the dialogue did someone say, "Gojira suk d1ck".

But near the end, a guy says very fluidly, "Coksook ay yu!"
If you slow it down sounds like, "**** suck I you!"

Check it out!

Back