Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my old Vader, just for fun!!
P7074375.jpg

I grant the cape isn't great, and the height is off, but otherwise I hate to say I prefer the ANH version over this one. It just seems put together better.

Yeah, the more I look at the new one and compare it with the old, the more I'm bothered by how out of proportion the chest box seems with the rest of the body. Just seems like the amount of space it occupies on the chest is tiny, plus the gap between the bottom of the chest box to the top of the belt seems huge. If they got it right on the ANH version, I don't understand how it could be missed on this new iteration.

Yeah, the more I look at the new one and compare it with the old, the more I'm bothered by how out of proportion the chest box seems with the rest of the body. Just seems like the amount of space it occupies on the chest is tiny, plus the gap between the bottom of the chest box to the top of the belt seems huge. If they got it right on the ANH version, I don't understand how it could be missed on this new iteration.

I wonder with the difference in the respective scales of the two figures how easily swapped over some of the parts will be... chestbox, helmet, belt etc.

None of this is an exact science - even to the 'makers' (SSC) it seems.

(..kinda harkens back to Pixelpiper's earlier comments..)

I only see two options for myself going forward; frankensteining a great figure - or..

Waiting.

Waiting for a new company to come forward that isn't resting on it's laurels so to speak. SSC seem to show time & time again, that the source material isn't important to them. :huh

HT may have their hands tied at present - but failing them getting a crack at a definitive Vader, Tamashii perhaps?

IDK.. just spitballing really. :lol

The unmasked version isn't really an issue to me, Vader is a dead man in my mind without the mask, the eu and the pt have turned it into a vanity thing, he wears it to hide his scars or look intimidating.
To me his mask was a necessity to live to maintain a pressured environment to breath from lung damage. So to to sum it up I will nt use the portrait unless I want to portray the death scene ( which the sculpts scowl doesn't suit) or Vader in the chamber

umm... no, they didn't.

He NEEDS the helmet to breath, as it creates a vaccume seal. He didn't need it right away in ROTS, becuase it's not untill AFTER that the damage to his lungs caused the scaring which made his lungs unable to work in a reglar atmosphere.

None of this is an exact science - even to the 'makers' (SSC) it seems.

(..kinda harkens back to Pixelpiper's earlier comments..)

I only see two options for myself going forward; frankensteining a great figure - or..

Waiting.

Waiting for a new company to come forward that isn't resting on it's laurels so to speak. SSC seem to show time & time again, that the source material isn't important to them. :huh

HT may have their hands tied at present - but failing them getting a crack at a definitive Vader, Tamashii perhaps?

IDK.. just spitballing really. :lol

Don't forget it's not so much Sideshow when it comes to Star wars, they're also at the mercy of LFL liscening, who have a preference for "idealized" versions of the characters, rather than film accurate.

What do you all think would be better? This or Mythos Vader? I have Mythos already pre ordered.

Don't forget it's not so much Sideshow when it comes to Star wars, they're also at the mercy of LFL liscening, who have a preference for "idealized" versions of the characters, rather than film accurate.

Ok.. :lol

But applying that 'logic' to SSC's track record for a moment - why would they not want Vader's dome to have the appropriate girth? Why do they make him overly tall for their first release? Why give the figure a non Prowse build?

Are these - for example, really LFL stipulations?? :slap :slap :slap :lol

umm... no, they didn't.

He NEEDS the helmet to breath, as it creates a vaccume seal. He didn't need it right away in ROTS, becuase it's not untill AFTER that the damage to his lungs caused the scaring which made his lungs unable to work in a reglar atmosphere.

Well they need to send the memo to the toy / statue companies they love to sculpt an angry dude rather then one struggling to breath :monkey1

They should have announced the Throne Room Diorama in tandem with this figure.

Ok.. :lol

But applying that 'logic' to SSC's track record for a moment - why would they not want Vader's dome to have the appropriate girth? Why do they make him overly tall for their first release? Why give the figure a non Prowse build?

Are these - for example, really LFL stipulations?? :slap :slap :slap :lol

Beats the hell out of me. I'm just telling you what Those of us who have been around for several years already know. There are EXCELLENT examples of this scatterd throughout the boards. Amazingly accurate sculpts of mace windu, Obi-wan, and luke skywalker that lucasfilm rejected in favor of ones that DID get selected. Pix, want to weigh in on this and back me up here?

Well they need to send the memo to the toy / statue companies they love to sculpt an angry dude rather then one struggling to breath :monkey1

That... is an excellent question. I guess becuase sad humpty dumpty man from the end of ROTJ dosn't make for as cool looking a sculpt as the toy companies imagine Vader looking under the mask in mid-fight.

Just a guess.

Still can't bring myself to order it.

good. Bye.

why do people need to tell fans of this figure they arent buying it. do you think we give a horses *** if you are buying this? no we dont. get lost.

and this isnt directed at bloodgear, its directed at all the haters. just **** off already. your opinion doesnt mean anything to those of us who like this regardless of price or baggy suits or whatever detail you dont like. if the item was in hand, and there was issues thats one thing, you bought something and it sucks, so you can voice your opinion here. but all the hate on an item that has been on pre order for 24 hours is a joke. you *** clown haters need to seriously **** off and go somewhere where you can discuss items you like and are excited about.

good. Bye.

why do people need to tell fans of this figure they arent buying it. do you think we give a horses *** if you are buying this? no we dont. get lost.

and this isnt directed at bloodgear, its directed at all the haters. just **** off already. your opinion doesnt mean anything to those of us who like this regardless of price or baggy suits or whatever detail you dont like. if the item was in hand, and there was issues thats one thing, you bought something and it sucks, so you can voice your opinion here. but all the hate on an item that has been on pre order for 24 hours is a joke. you *** clown haters need to seriously **** off and go somewhere where you can discuss items you like and are excited about.

I really like the figure myself, but this is a discussion forum and differing opinions are an inevitable part of that. People are free to say what they like, what disappoints them, or whatever they want about the figure as long as they're not going against the rules and insulting other members.

Based on pics of the chest armor it looks more ESB to me. I thought ROTJ armor was supposed to be more silver between the black. To me this color seems more metallic gray.
y6umu3uq.jpg
Looking at this pic comparing the chest area on ANH vs ROTJ this figures chest is looking more accurate than I originally thought.
Good point, momaw (and thanks for posting the comparison pics, jedijim). Totally missed how much the shoulder armour and chest box changed between ANH and RotJ.

good. Bye.

WTF???? :rotfl

Ok.. you know what? You really need to settle down. :)

Discussing things pleasantly / joking as a community of fans - as we're all doing? That's fine.

Getting all flustered & confrontational - like you? Don't need it.

Feel free to express an opposing view, but try to use some diplomacy - & courtesy.. honestly. :monkey1

Last edited:
Back