Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It just arrived. I haven't been this excited about a figure in a long time.

s7TAr4i.jpg

Check:

Cape ragged edge

Tusks

crotch bunching

Here's the video review of the new Sideshow Darth Vader Deluxe figure now up on the Kool Kollectibles youtube channel!!

Hope you can all check it out, subscribe, like, and comment with your thoughts too!

In summary, great figure to have! And I did make a mistake in the review with the separate little helmet stand, where I wondered why the mouth part didnt have the pointy ends. Well that's cos the tusks are part of the lower neck piece which is part of the exposed headsculpt!! DUH!!!

I posted this a few pages back. It's part of the Iron Man 3 Workshop base that I was not using because it's too big. I'm thinking I could put Vader in the middle and have him flanked on both sides by Storm Troopers on the elevated platform. I think it will be a nice setup plus it will eliminate the Vader is too tall perception.

xgij3p.jpg

Cool idea. Can't wait to see Vader there.

has anyone posted how the sweet black licorice pants taste yet?..........:dunno

Got my Vader yesterday. Add mine to the "broken tusk" club. :gah:

However, I'm initially impressed with this figure. This one is a marked improvement on the ANH version in many ways. Sideshow is definitely heading towards Hot Toys-level of quality here, though they still fall short. The specialized body is definitely too tall by at least a 1/4 inch, but not so much that a body-swap will be necessary. The thinner robes and cape are a nice improvement, but the edges of my cape are frayed, making me wish it were hemmed or at least cut more sharply. Surprisingly, I found the lights on the belt and chest to be a really nice touch and to be my favorite updated feature.

However, the biggest missed opportunity was deciding not to make the separate unmasked sculpt, mask and helmet fit together better. As has been mentioned before, these pieces actually fit together very much like Medicom's version but are only missing some small tabs or slots to hold them all together!

Lest any of you are also curious to do this but worried about damaging that Anakin sculpt, you can follow these steps. Be careful, since it's obvious this toy is fragile as hell and I won't be held responsible for any mishaps due to your clutzy butter-fingers! :wink1:

First, you'll find that the back corners of the mask can be slid past the cheeks if you place it at an angle, like so:

Then, lower the front of the mast so it lines up with the lower mask:

Finally, push the mask back until everything lines up:

The separate helmet can even go on top, but sadly has nothing underneath to securely attach it to the top of the mask.

While I appreciate that Sideshow took the added measure of including a separate fully assembled helmet, I can't believe they would go through so much trouble to get the extra individual pieces to look and fit correctly yet not add that extra little bit so that they could snap together. Ultimately, this is more frustrating to me that the extra 1/4 inch to his height!

My Vader arrived!!! Going to open him up now. Will make a video but pictures for another day. Too dark and gloomy. Give my opinion soon. So excited!!!

Back