Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry having image issues :p first time I've been able to post since change grrrrrr!
dammit they are all the same way on my iPad lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 460
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 431
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 436
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:
Got my Vader yesterday. Add mine to the "broken tusk" club. :gah:

However, I'm initially impressed with this figure. This one is a marked improvement on the ANH version in many ways. Sideshow is definitely heading towards Hot Toys-level of quality here, though they still fall short. The specialized body is definitely too tall by at least a 1/4 inch, but not so much that a body-swap will be necessary. The thinner robes and cape are a nice improvement, but the edges of my cape are frayed, making me wish it were hemmed or at least cut more sharply. Surprisingly, I found the lights on the belt and chest to be a really nice touch and to be my favorite updated feature.

However, the biggest missed opportunity was deciding not to make the separate unmasked sculpt, mask and helmet fit together better. As has been mentioned before, these pieces actually fit together very much like Medicom's version but are only missing some small tabs or slots to hold them all together!

Lest any of you are also curious to do this but worried about damaging that Anakin sculpt, you can follow these steps. Be careful, since it's obvious this toy is fragile as hell and I won't be held responsible for any mishaps due to your clutzy butter-fingers! :wink1:

First, you'll find that the back corners of the mask can be slid past the cheeks if you place it at an angle, like so:

Then, lower the front of the mast so it lines up with the lower mask:

Finally, push the mask back until everything lines up:

The separate helmet can even go on top, but sadly has nothing underneath to securely attach it to the top of the mask.

While I appreciate that Sideshow took the added measure of including a separate fully assembled helmet, I can't believe they would go through so much trouble to get the extra individual pieces to look and fit correctly yet not add that extra little bit so that they could snap together. Ultimately, this is more frustrating to me that the extra 1/4 inch to his height!

Does this scratch the reveal head sculpt at all? I'm afraid of even trying this, if it could scratch the head sculpt.

Does this scratch the reveal head sculpt at all? I'm afraid of even trying this, if it could scratch the head sculpt.

I just don't see the point and why anyone would want to try given it comes with a fully assembled head. :huh

Well guys got him out and looked around. Overall Impressive figure. Best Sideshow figure too date. It's amazing! Nothing is wrong with mine except for my left fisted hand that came out of the package had a broken peg. It's not a big deal ill never use it so be careful. Took me a while as it usually does since my Collectibles give me hours of being a pain in the ***. Always a problem but only the peg was a issue. Best Vader to date and very happy. Quick cell phone pic. Review coming tomorrow.

Ryan

9y7yqa7u.jpg

well I talked to sideshow Elisse some of the orders were shorted. and she said I might get mine either the end of the week or earlier next week. but I asked them to check before they ship to check to make sure the cape wasn`t frayed and tusk were not broken. and she said she would make a note on it

Well guys got him out and looked around. Overall Impressive figure. Best Sideshow figure too date. It's amazing! Nothing is wrong with mine except for my left fisted hand that came out of the package had a broken peg. It's not a big deal ill never use it so be careful. Took me a while as it usually does since my Collectibles give me hours of being a pain in the ***. Always a problem but only the peg was a issue. Best Vader to date and very happy. Quick cell phone pic. Review coming tomorrow.

Ryan

9y7yqa7u.jpg

Nice! pic looks great even for a cell pic. Congrats on getting a great figure. Looking forward to the review.

Glad you got a good one, Ryan (like you say, a broken peg is no biggie, especially as SSC includes one w/every hand). Big Freddy fan, I see!

@ generalgrievous, pretty sure they were humouring you. :p Sideshow's not known to inspect before shipping, especially on a giant release like this. They're shipping probably a few hundred a day, so they won't stop to inspect. Hope yours arrives problem free, all the same!

That's an awesome idea. Vader's base would look perfect in the middle of that. Unfortunately, it's too wide for a detolf, right?

I think Vader's base should fit in the middle without any problems. Worst case I will have to remove the steps which is no biggie because Vader will be standing in front of them anyways. If you were referring to the IM3 base.. this picture was taken while it was in the detolf. You cant assemble the entire base because it wont fit but you can use pieces of it like in the photo.

Back