Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BetnHYCCUAESjCc.jpg
BetnKNyCMAArFBh.jpg
BetnN0sCIAAVFPF.jpg

ouch. sad day here :gah:

Agh, just opened mine up and he's missing a tusk and has some paint issues on the Anakin head. Everything else is great and it's a gorgeous figure, I know SSC will take care of me so I'm happy

I'm confused. Where are you guys measuring to? Out of box, mine was 14.25" from ground to highest point of dome.

It definitely seems that people are receiving Vaders with varying height, which finally explains the Rebel Scum ANH comparison photos. What's still a mystery is the reason for the discrepancy. Unpopped ankle and neck pegs would be my first guess, but you mentioned having checked this, right?

When I unpack my Vader, he's gong down by the measuring tape, stat.

Well, I can categorically say mine is 13.5". And we say steel ruler where I live, trust me I used one for 4 years in design college. :lol
:dance

Is it possible the ab crunch isn't connected properly? Is that a ball joint?

I dunno, not going to bother going to the trouble of stripping the fig to find out. I'm happy with the height.

It definitely seems that people are receiving Vaders with varying height, which finally explains the Rebel Scum ANH comparison photos. What's still a mystery is the reason for the discrepancy. Unpopped ankle and neck pegs would be my first guess, but you mentioned having checked this, right?

I didn't check it at first, just measured it at 14.25". Seemed like that's what I recall my ANH Vader being before the torso mod, so I chalked it up to SS fibbing about fixing the height this time around. But then when I saw people throwing around this 13.5" number, I took a closer look tonight. Like I saw, I pushed down on the shoulders, got some compression and then a pop, and all of a sudden it measures 14". So evidently joints/assembly can account for at least a quarter inch of play. But I don't see how in the world any amount of additional adjusting would take another half inch out of it. It almost seems like it would have to be two different bodies to account for that much difference. Or people are measuring to different points, which is why I'm asking how people are measuring. Even Sideshow's spec says it's 13.75".

For the particular case of the chest box and belt, it seems like a waste to destroy those pieces when they could probably be easily fixed. If I were Sideshow I would mail out a replacement, then ask for the faulty piece to be mailed back instead of destroyed and have someone there have a go at fixing them. It's probably just a loose wire or something simple like that. And I can't imagine sending back that small piece would be expensive to mail.

The way things are going, they're probably going to deplete their replacement parts in no time. It wouldn't hurt for them to have the refurbished pieces waiting when they run out of the legitimate replacement pieces.
Just a guess, but I bet it would be more expensive for Sideshow to take a defective chest box back and have it taken apart and fixed that it is to simply throw it away and take their chances on a new one. This early in the run, I can't imagine replacement parts are an issue. The regular hasn't even started shipping yet, as far as I know. I'd definitely be worried later in this release's life, when spare parts are going to be hard to come by.

Test subject

Endicia discounted first class mail within the US with tracking, $1.69. Diagnosing and fixing the wires on one belt, let's say 30 minutes. Maybe $30. I'm sure they can produce another belt for under $5.

Last edited:
Vader arrived today and I'm for the most part happy with it however the cape has fraying on the bottom. Sideshow needs to step up their QC because this isn't acceptable for a $250 figure. It looked like someone used dull scissors to cut it. I'm not even going to bother getting it exchanged because I plan to have it hemmed to give it a more finished look.

Anyways back to the good stuff

Pics of the cape for those who are interested.

Last edited:
Vader arrived today and I'm for the most part happy with it however the cape has fraying on the bottom. Sideshow needs to step up their QC because this isn't acceptable for a $250 figure. It looked like someone used dull scissors to cut it. I'm not even going to bother getting it exchanged because I plan to have it hemmed to give it a more finished look.

Sideshow Alex was in here a few hundred pages back saying if you hem the cape it won't drape properly.

Just opened mine up to check it for QC. Not gonna display him until I get another detolf soon and have a proper shelf to put him on since my one detolf is overcrowded.

He's awesome! Doesn't look like I need to return anything. One minor black paint splotch on the side of the exclusive unmasked head, and one of the tusks in ever so slightly bent in, but all the electronics work and Vader himself is perfect! Can't wait to display this dude.

Sideshow Alex was in here a few hundred pages back saying if you hem the cape it won't drape properly.

crap! well there goes that idea. So will Sideshow send a new cape and I burn this old one or do I have to send the entire figure back lol...

Are the re-breathers in the reveal head supposed to be wonky???

unenaret.jpg

2e2azy5u.jpg

The head seems a liitle off in the brace so maybe this is what caused it....dunno.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

How is it not SS fault? Other retailers double box all their figures for no extra cost!

It does actually cost more, BBTS have a higher shipping rate (for me) than SS. But that could be due to other factors too.

I understand how you feel though, sucks to get something damaged & on top of that with QC issues. Don't sweat it, SS will make good. A lot of other companies wouldn't even answer your emails.

crap! well there goes that idea. So will Sideshow send a new cape and I burn this old one or do I have to send the entire figure back lol...
I remember a scene in ROTJ with Darth Vader walking away from the camera, showing the back lower edge of his cape directly in view. I noticed a very thin strip of shiny black hem material, perhaps only 1/2 inch tall, and it looked like shiny black silk, against the darker non-shiny cape above it. If a separate thin strip of real (shiny) black silk was used to duplicate this on the 1/6 cape, it might not effect the flowing effect of the cape because silk is so extremely soft and flimsy, while being surprisingly strong. It would be a B**CH to sew on with the proper folds because it would be so small and thin, but it would prevent fraying. As a bonus, it would add accurate detail too.

Last edited:
I remember a scene in ROTJ with Darth Vader walking away from the camera, showing the back lower edge of his cape directly in view. I noticed a very thin strip of shiny black hem material, perhaps only 1/2 inch tall, and it looked like shiny black silk, against the darker non-shiny cape above it. If a separate thin strip of real (shiny) black silk was used to duplicate this on the 1/6 cape, it might not effect the flowing effect of the cape because silk is so extremely soft and flimsy, while being surprisingly strong. It would be a B**CH to sew on with the proper folded 'roll' technique, but it would prevent fraying. As a bonus, it would add accurate detail too.

If I recall, someone earlier in the thread with a bit more knowledge about the screen used costume said that what you see there is the inner lining of the cape showing, so the actual costume was un-hemmed for drape too.

Doesn't explain why they couldn't have used a proper heat and seal cutter to cut out the capes though! What a lame excuse. No hem, sure, but this is just bad QC.
Have to say, I'm shocked to see the amount of issues freaks are reporting on this.

Time for an end of the world "did your Vader arrive with QC problems?" Poll. They are always fun...
:lol

Back