Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still doesn't make Vader the monster giant as he's made by Sideshow. He's clearly somewhere between 6'8" and 7 foot. Not 8 feet plus which is what you get with Sideshow's 13"+ figure.

Yeah, no I was agreeing - a tall but normal-looking guy (ie. not "stretched" looking like Mayhew) like Julian Glover - who was the normal/human villain in TLC - is literally eye-to-eye with a fully suited Vader, so Vader's clearly just a tall guy, not a towering giant.

Some of the pictures of the HT one has me breathing easier. He looks great next to those troopers around the Falcon, so they may have corrected the height.

Someone with HT Chwbacca needs to pose their unfixed SS Vader together.

It does seem from those Ani-con pics that HT fixed the height issue, but I guess until it's released we won't know. The weird thing is, SSC DX Vader is impossible to truly fix because all the armor is proportioned for the 14" height, so HT would have had to scale the armor down in order to fix their overscale height issue. That's a huge job. Hopefully it's fixed otherwise we'll have the HT version of this...

attachment.php

Were they ever in the same scene together?

Just off the top of my head - ESB Carbon freeze and banquet room scenes, but I guess they're never standing very close together.

Yeah, onscreen most stormies (and Fett) seem to come up to Vader's nose, but SSC stormies are below SSC Vader's shoulder line.

Yeah, no I was agreeing - a tall but normal-looking guy (ie. not "stretched" looking like Mayhew) like Julian Glover - who was the normal/human villain in TLC - is literally eye-to-eye with a fully suited Vader, so Vader's clearly just a tall guy, not a towering giant.

Yep, only with Luke does he look like a monster... but even then, within reason.

Vader + Luke (1).jpg

Both SS and HT Vaders are listed at 13.75". Chewy is listed at 14.18" but there's a picture of him in the box with a ruler besides him that looks like he's about 13.5" tall.

Still doesn't make Vader the monster giant as he's made by Sideshow. He's clearly somewhere between 6'8" and 7 foot. Not 8 feet plus which is what you get with Sideshow's 13"+ figure.

Which would put the SS within the perfect range. :wink1:

He's 13 7/8" (6' 11").

I switched mine from his monster-sized base to a regular HT oval stand and placed him behind the HT troopers who are on their taller stands. It makes Vader look more reasonable.

The problem is, apart from HT Luke, everybody else is too short. :p

Other than people thinking this figure is too tall do people have any additional issues with it?

I'm trying to decide if to get this or the upcoming Hot Toys one.

What would make the Hot Toys version any better or different to this?

Other than people thinking this figure is too tall do people have any additional issues with it?

Overall quality of the figure, better body, may be more in scale. It's hard to say though without seeing in-hand pictures. If you're that undecided, I would wait for production and in-hand photos of Vader so that you can compare them and get the one that you personally like better.

Facemask is pretty off (SSC ANH Vader is better) but so is the HT Vader - so far.

Other than being a bit skinny, if you don't bust out your t-square and calipers, he is a very nice figure. Lots of shelf presence.

There are tons of things that annoy me with this figure (that I do still own btw). But if you can live with the gigantism and lower the dome(this is almost a must), you can hide the iffy suit and the weird legs behind the robe/cape and maybe do something about the skinny arms (if you want to pose him with his arms out, otherwise see weird legs) I guess you can be pretty happy with it in your collection.

If I were you I would wait a little longer until the HT comes out and compare with that before buying any Vader. It looks like they fixed the size and maybe the head isn't as bad as it looks. You never know and since you've waited this long?

If you are up for modding (and as I said the dome cries out for it) the ANH with a Deluxe dome or even better a Hasbro dome along with better robes/cape looks better than this one.

For me, the decision was more based on the look. I prefer the ESB/ROTJ look (with the robes under the shoulder armour, instead of above it, among other things), and he does come with a heck of a lot of accessories, which allows for so many different display options. There are some fans who are very particular, and want a 100% screen-accurate Vader on the shelf, and will find every miniscule fault on both this and the HT version. The truth is that no mass-produced Vader will be perfect.

My feeling was that none of the other Star Wars 1/6 figures (SSC or HT) are 100% accurate, so why does Vader have to be?

I agree with most of what's been said before, great points made by all here. If you wait until the HT one comes out, which is probably advisable, also take a look at how that Vader looks alongside different figures you have or want. I had the SS Vader and thought it looked pretty great aside the Snowtroopers, but didn't think it looked quite right next to the HT Stormtroopers, just personal taste/perception, scale felt slightly off, etc.

Sideshow had a nice amount of accessories, some I used, some stayed in the box most of the time. The light up chest box and belt on the SS is pretty awesome (HT will have the light up saber and belt as the chest box didn't light up in ANH).

Still not 100% sold on the HT one, and it's pricey, but I'll consider it when I see some in-hand pics.

EDIT: That said, Vader looks pretty awesome with the HT stormies in the post below mine. :)

I've never been bothered by the mask on Vader... I know it's not perfect, but it's close enough that I'm not bothered by it. The Domes have both been off, although the ANH was much worse especially when looked at head-on.

I did just paint the Kaiyodo mask... that thing is pretty damn nice. I just wish I had the rest of the figure to see it all together.

db82d0ac-4fbc-45de-836e-d5097439fb7b_zpsvq20uazs.jpg

Thinking about picking this up. I like the shinier look if him from ROTJ which is why I like this one more than the upcoming HT one.
Can someone tell me the actual height of the figure?
Also, some have mentioned the dome being crooked, but the images I've seen look ok. If it is crooked, is it fixable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any chance this will go on sale? I've been patiently waiting. I was hoping with the release of Hot Toys they would try and clear this from SS. BUT maybe he's almost gone on SS.

Back