Star ace Harry Potter - Mad-Eye Moody

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got him. Like others that got him after the Crawford review the eye isn't that bad since its so small. But boy does it look bad in macro pics. I like how the fat suit adds to the torso but I wish it was carried throughout the body, skipping the joints. The lack of a ball joint on the metal ankle bothers me but I get why theres not one. I hate having to pose feet straight. Vest is nice. but...

The jacket is awful. And a complete 180 from the prototype (or was that just photoshop?:cuckoo:).

Also I can't help but see Kurt Russell in lower half of the sculpt.

Overall, better then expected.

Agreed. I think people were freaking about the eye just because it looked so bad in the pictures.

Everyone I've showed (non collectors) have liked the figure. Then I point at the eye, they lean in and say, "Wow. Well, I never would've noticed that."

That just shows you how picky we are as collectors! Ha!:)

But, not being an expert on paint, I still don't understand why SA did that with the eye. Any ideas? Lines? Odd.

It's not the eye that made me cancel. It's the coat and that the actor is very pale. he looks like he just got back from vacation and bought a new coat.

Yeah, I need to research some techniques. I'm not just gonna back the car over it a few times :)

Or, better yet, someone else go first?!

My mother ran over our cat once. Didn't kill it. Needed a new hip. Cost thousands. I never let her forget it. Perhaps I'll leave Mad-eye's coat on the drive for her :)

Got him. Like others that got him after the Crawford review the eye isn't that bad since its so small. But boy does it look bad in macro pics. I like how the fat suit adds to the torso but I wish it was carried throughout the body, skipping the joints. The lack of a ball joint on the metal ankle bothers me but I get why theres not one. I hate having to pose feet straight. Vest is nice. but...

The jacket is awful. And a complete 180 from the prototype (or was that just photoshop?:cuckoo:).

Also I can't help but see Kurt Russell in lower half of the sculpt.

Overall, better then expected.

Which is why he started out with a better score from me in the Paint section, but I ended up revising it, a rarity - I didn't notice the eye til someone pointed it out, and once I saw it I couldn't unsee it. And while it's small, it's exactly the sort of thing that sets apart a mediocre result from an outstanding result.

For me, the biggest issue this head sculpt has isn't the paint or the eye or the skin tone...but the use of a separate neck and head. We talked about this yesterday on the HotToyCast, and Moody needed to be a full one piece neck/head sculpt so they could get the jawline and jowls correct.

Which is why he started out with a better score from me in the Paint section, but I ended up revising it, a rarity - I didn't notice the eye til someone pointed it out, and once I saw it I couldn't unsee it. And while it's small, it's exactly the sort of thing that sets apart a mediocre result from an outstanding result.

For me, the biggest issue this head sculpt has isn't the paint or the eye or the skin tone...but the use of a separate neck and head. We talked about this yesterday on the HotToyCast, and Moody needed to be a full one piece neck/head sculpt so they could get the jawline and jowls correct.

:exactly:

Just picked him up off Amazon for $135 after taxes and free shipping. Says there are 14 left.
Was being shipped and sold through Amazon.

That's why I waited and don't feel as bad getting it that cheap. After all of the problems I saw posted about him I wasn't paying full price.

This is my new philosophy. No way I'm paying full price after Sirius.

Ordered him from Amazon as well. I don't feel like I am getting ripped off on him. No way was I paying full price. Star Ace needs to understand that if the quality is not there, they should not be charging $200. I will wait for a discounted price on every figure.

Well, at $127 I couldn't say no... so I ordered one as well :lol The final figure looking so bad turned me away from collecting this line, but I'm going to give it one more shot :lol

I'm really curious to see what can be done to get him closer to the prototype; so my short list of fixes:
Distress and weather the hell out of the jacket and leather vest
Lightly distress the rest of the outfit
Repaint the face and hair
Redo the prosthetic eye; fix the iris and make the white of the eye less bright
Pad the body out a bit more and/or swap the body to something that looks better
Replace the hands

We'll see how it goes, but I'm confident I can get something better looking with a bit of elbow grease.

Well, at $127 I couldn't say no... so I ordered one as well :lol The final figure looking so bad turned me away from collecting this line, but I'm going to give it one more shot :lol

I'm really curious to see what can be done to get him closer to the prototype; so my short list of fixes:
Distress and weather the hell out of the jacket and leather vest
Lightly distress the rest of the outfit
Repaint the face and hair
Redo the prosthetic eye; fix the iris and make the white of the eye less bright
Pad the body out a bit more and/or swap the body to something that looks better
Replace the hands

We'll see how it goes, but I'm confident I can get something better looking with a bit of elbow grease.

I plan on weathering the coat as well. I suck at painting, so I will just live with what is there.

I actually think just hitting the head with some matte sealer would go a long way to improving the look. The figures have a shiny look to them which worked great for Voldemort, but looks odd with Moody and Sirius. Strangely Harry and Ron didn't have this, or it's not as noticeable on them.

Got Moody in today... I'm glad to see the coat is better tailored than I expected. From a lot of the images it looked bulky, but I think it's more the fault of the body than anything else. It has such narrow shoulders that it makes the large midsection and head look terrible; in fairness it's a great body for a slimmer character, but not right for this character.

I don't think I'll end up repainting the skin tone after all as I'm pretty happy with that, but I will redo the hair and prosthetic eye; try to swap the body (which will be a pain due to the leg) and then get some better looking hands.

Oh, and I really have no idea why they didn't have his head be a fully sculpted neck. As-is the head has zero tilt on the neck and it's so hidden by the shirt collar that it basically reduces the poseability to if it had been a fixed neck (just tilting and twisting at the base of the neck) but looks super thin.

Back